SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Scones, biscuits, muffins...whats the difference?

marys1000
16 years ago

Last night I made the America's Test Kitchen blueberry scone recipe. Now I did mess up so i wasn't surprised when they didn't turn out scone like.

Then I thought -

1) do I know what a scone is supposed to be like? Do I know the difference between a scone and a biscuit?

Coincidently yesterday's Splendid Table on PBS had a scone call in - in her response to his question she said she considered scones very biscuit like. My scones were very blueberry muffin like (they tasted great, moist etc., just more like a muffin)

2) AKT said they were specifically trying to create a scone that was not a dry hard rock, with flavor. So.....did they create a muffin? Or did my mistake miss out on the "super-flaky crumb of a good biscuit"?

What happened was I was supposed to incorporate the frozen shredded butter into the dry ingrediants (like pie crust) then add the wet ingrediants. Well I missed it and add the butter after the wet. then added too many frozne blueberries, making them really moist (but tasty!) they browned ok etc. but they were soft, like a triangular muffin.

So if I put the butter in earlier - would I end up with something more biscuit flakey like they said they were aiming for? In the DVR tape from TV I think it looks sort of like mine, muffin like in texture.

From AKT:

The Problem: Real British scones are like British humorsteeped in tradition, dry as a bone, and often tasteless. The American versions run the gamut from misshapen muffin-like objects to big-as-your-head cakes.

The Goal: We wanted to bring together all the best qualities we found in American versions of scones: the sweetness of a coffeehouse confection; the moist freshness of a muffin; the richness and fruit of clotted cream and jam; and the super-flaky crumb of a good biscuit.

The Solution: We first developed the ultimate plain scone. Increasing the amount of butter and adding enough sugar gave the scones a subtle sweetness without being cloying. Sour cream and milk added a contrasting tang. But with this extra richness and sweetness, we found the traditional biscuit mixing method used in most scone recipes produced heavy and underrisen scones. Taking a couple of hints from puff pastry, we froze the butter to keep it cold as it was being cut into the flour and used a couple of quick folds to create layers of butter that helped the dough rise. We turned to another pastryÂcinnamon rollsÂfor a hint on how to best incorporate the blueberries. To evenly distribute the berries without mashing them, we rolled the dough into a 12-inch square, pressed the berries into the dough, and then rolled the dough into a jellyroll-like log that we flattened into a rectangle before cutting out the scones.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!