SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Putting in hardwood floors where subfloor is not level

Valerie Noronha
17 years ago

As part of our remodel we plan to put in 3/4" oak hardwood (sand and finish) floors throughout with the exception of the bathrooms and entryway. In our hallway we had a problem with a sloped floor where the door would stick and so we had the floor leveled in this section by adding extra piers and a girder to run the length of the hallway. The foundation person has told us that we have some unevenness in our foundation in other areas of the home as well as the piers are spaced widely apart (12-14') and the subfloor is 5/8" plywood instead of the usual 3/4". When we ripped up the old flooring there was evidence that previous owners used a floor leveling compound that now looks to be chipped in places due to remodeling work. The floor has been measured in several places with lasers and does not seem to vary more than 1-1-1/2" over spans.

Should I be concerned about this?

Is there anything more I can do to prepare/level the floors so that the hardwood installs well?

The foundation person did suggest doing an extra layer of 3/4" plywood before the hardwood but I'm hestitant to do this both because of the added cost as well as the fact I've just ordered my kitchen cabinets and this would through off the plan for the crown molding. He also mentioned the possibility that the nails may pop out. My GC has said that as the house the hardwood will help to stabilize the flooring so that it does not feel so spongy and has a plan to shim my kitchen cabinets and trim down toe kick to level out the kitchen, though I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to attempt to level the floor a bit more in the kitchen with this floor leveling compound, then put the hardwood, and then the cabinets.

Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated.

TIA!

Comments (3)