SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
somuchto1earn

engineered hardwood floor over old hardwood floor

somuchto1earn
9 years ago

Hi everyone
My house needs a big renovation, and i am planning to change the floors.

I am planning to put new engineered hardwood floor in the hallway, new carpet in the bedroom and living room, and new tile in the kitchen.

current situation: There are solid hardwood floor in the living room, bedroom, and hallway. The hardwood floors are level and plumb to each other in these three areas.

i have attached some pictures here.

Question 1a: After installing the carpets in the living room and bedroom, the carpet itself would be half an inch higher then the hallway(without the new hardwoodfloor on the hallway). Should i place the new hard wood floor over the old hard wood floor on the hallway? or should i take away the old hardwood floor and rise the subfloor a bit higher ,then put the new hardwoodfloor on it.

Question 1b: should i use those interlocking-edge hardwood floor in this project?

Question 2: The other problem i am facing is that i have a water tank heater in the hallway. should i leave the old hardwood floor pieces alone around the heater? and glue new pieces on it around the heater?

Question 3: The other reason why i want to rise the subfloor in the hallway is because i want to put tile in the kitchen. Right now, the kitchen's floor (without cement board and tile) is level and plumb to the hallway. And i believe after installing cementboard and tile in the kitchen, the floor in the kitchen would be atleast 3/4 inch higher than the hallway.

so overall, what i am trying to achieve here is that i would like to keep all the floor at the same height as much as possible.

Thank you for reading this.
Any help would be great.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022