SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rwiegand_gw

POTS phone extension over local ethernet?

rwiegand
11 years ago

Through a mess up in communication I got a gigabit ethernet line installed underground between the house and workshop, but they didn't run a second wire for the phone. I'm wondering if there is an inexpensive device I can use that will permit the analog phone signal to be transmitted via ethernet? Like this :

house land line converter converter extension phone

I'm not looking to go on the external internet or for a VOIP service. I just want the phone to ring in the shop when it rings in the house. I need all the wires in the cat6 cable for the ethernet connection, so can't spare a pair for phone. I've found an alphabet soup of telephone arcana via google that will let you connect your phones from Bangalore to alaska to the home office in New york for thousands of dollars, but I'm hoping for a consumer grade product that will just let me easily have a single extension without a PhD in network technology.

Or should I just pay the extra many hundred bucks for another conduit and cable? (getting one wire through was apparently a hard pull, I don't think I can pull a second in the same 1/2" conduit.)

Comments (7)