SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
landa_mac

New Pentair IntelliTouch ScreenLogic interface for iPhone

landa_mac
15 years ago

Check this out - I just came across a cool new program by Pentair today. It's a new interface for their IntelliTouch ScreenLogic pool control system. It's available on the Apple App store for FREE! It works on iPhones and iPod touch devices. You do need the ScreenLogic add-on for IntelliTouch but Pentair just lowered the price on that dramatically.

It works great on my system. I am super impressed! Good job Pentair!!!

Here are some screen shots:

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

Comments (54)

• trhought
    15 years ago

Like I said....now all 3 people in the US that find this cool can get one ;)

I'm curious about your comment related to controlling backyard music from your i-touch. What technology makes this possible. I'm currently using a Logitech 890 RF remote around the pool for control of all functionality for our dedicated pool receiver in the house along with CD player and Zune connected to it. Would be convenient to integrate this functionality into my wife's i-phone if possible.

I've not been able to find anything yet as versatile and user friendly at the Logitech pricepoint without going to a full blown Crestron controller like we have in the home theater. If the hardware for the i-phone is competitively priced, I may give this a try.

sorry to hijack....landa.

• landa_mac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No problem trhought - after your first post, I thought you were a Luddite who only used the web for one thing (and be gentle with that 2-speed pump)...

Just joking. But you mentioned "Maybe this will be an enabler for some future product that will have onboard diagnostic capability that has the ability to alert the homeowner or even better alert the pool service company when a problem is detected at a client's house. Think of the how much more revenue can be generated daily with the right parts on your service trucks when they arrive at the jobsite and how quickly they can be on to the next jobsite with this kind of information."

Pentair actually has had a program like this available for a couple of years. It is called the Remote Control & Monitoring software. I use it to monitor a couple dozen of my customers remotely. Every 5 minutes, it updates all the parameters of my customer's IntelliTouch, EasyTouch, or SunTouch systems. It lets me know if there are any alarms generated. It can even email my customer and/or me when an alarm occurs (low salt level, pump priming problems, freeze alerts, etc.) Then I can proactively login to these customer systems and often times fix the problem before the customer even realizes there is a problem. I have full control of operation and setup from a remote location! It has saved me countless trips (and that counts when the customer is 75 miles away). Here is a partial view of my current customers (names blanked out). Also attached the manual at the bottom. Hope this helps:

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pentair Remote Control & Monitor user manual

• Related Discussions

Integrated system: Pentair vs. Jandy

Q

Comments (2)
    I will give you my take. I also plan on integrating in controls for my lights, music and possibly a light show with light o rama controlling my backyard flowerbed lights, yes I am one of those over the top synchronized music and lights Christmas display guys, so I totally follow your line of thinking, it makes my OCD's kick in just thinking about how much I have been contemplating about this stuff! I finally chose almost all Jandy for my pool equipment (with the exception of my beast raypak heater and color logic lights). I am running the largest aqualink RS as it seemed to have all the expandability and functions I wanted. I am also running the aquapure 1400 swg. The only part of my pool that is different is that I chose the color logic 4.0 LED lights for pool and spa. The great thing is the new aqualink systems support Jandy lights, SAM, and best of all for me, color logic 3.0 and higher. It actually has the menu choices in the PDA (pool digital assistant I think, I call it the big blue remote.) controller that correspond to the correct light shows built in to the color logic lights, so it can control them as intended by color logic, just pick the color or show and hit go! With some other controllers the only way to cycle through the shows is to power cycle the light over and over manually. The aqualink PDA also has support for multispeed pumps, you can even set a percentage of power to be used in the PDA itself. The aqualink also has extra aux slots that can be user assigned for the extra things we want to do. I really like that every facet of my pool can be controlled/monitored from the PDA or the control panel of the aqualink. Sorry if long winded, I only really looked at the Jandy equipment as I have a friend in the business who really convinced me the stuff is really good, especially since they have upgraded the speed of the PDA.
    ...See More

MobileTouch costs?

Q

Comments (7)
    I am in the process of finalizing a new pool contract. The entire automation package with the Intellitouch is just under $3400 with installation. Intellitouch Load Center Intellitouch i9+3 Indoor Control Panel Mobile Touch w/Transceiver With the Intellitouch the Intelliclhor is not included so that is an extra cost. I did have some builders try to sell me the MobileTouch for $1600. I had one tell me that its because of the receiver but the new version MobileTouch w/Receiver is available online for ~$810 from multiple suppliers. Honestly, for most I think they really didn't know the overall costs for the unit since between versions Pentair seemed to discontinue it and re-release with a reduced price. The folks we are going with did the research and priced out the components separately for us then added some markup for their handling. They didn't however double it. I'm not sure whether they do that for every customer since we are a culture with Nordstrom tastes that actually buy from Wal-Mart, but that's the way I wanted it. If they weren't willing to break it down then we didn't want the bid. In the end they were more expensive overall but I didn't feel like I had to pull teeth just to see what my money was buying. They trusted me to recognize their honesty and value so now I trust them. Interesting point though about the ScreenLogic and IPad.
    ...See More

New Pool Charlotte, NC

Q

Comments (2)
    Thought I'd help you with the picture posting. :)
    ...See More

Hayward vs Pentair Automation

Q

Comments (44)
    How about BEER PARTY, WATERFALL2, CAVEFALL, LAMINARS, SLIDE, or anything else in your backyard that doesn't fit in Hayward's limited (not even listed in their user manual) predefined list of names? Last I checked, EasyTouch and IntelliTouch had about 100 pre-defined circuit names that could be assigned to any circuit. And if you don't find one that you like, you can create a custom name. Just curious, have you ever used an EasyTouch system? I'm surprised you have not been pressured by your hundreds of customers towards installing an EasyTouch or IntelliTouch along with an IntelliFlo pump. In the last year, more than 50% of my clients are asking for this combo. Probably the best thing for anyone to do would be to read Hayward's manual: http://www.haywardnet.com/products/manuals/pdfs/Manual237.pdf and then read Pentair's EasyTouch manual: http://mysite.verizon.net/res008k5/easytouch.pdf and then decide which system you would want based on the available features. I think it will be pretty obvious which system is more robust (and not just by a little). Remember that I am biased so read the manual and decide for yourself!!! PS - Yes, one of my clients has a circuit called BEER PARTY on his IntelliTouch system. It is a macro circuit so when he presses one button, it turns on the following: Cabana lights turn on Landscape lights go on All 6 laminars go on All 5 IntelliBrite pool lights come on One IntelliBrite pool light (in the spa) comes on Heater fires and heats spa to 99F Spa jets turn on Air bubbler turns on
    ...See More
  • jharrell
    15 years ago

I was really hoping they would make this.

Pretty much negates the need to buy their wireless controller because for nearly the same price you could get the screen logic kit and a ipod touch with say an otter box waterproof case and have a wireless controller that can surf the net, read email, watch movies and remote control music and just about anything else.

In my case I have a 1st gen iPhone I'm not using since I got my 3g and will prob get an otter box and the screen logic kit.

I also have an HAI Omni system for my homes security and lighting which I use an iPhone app to control. It so quick and convenient I don't even use my security keypad to arm disarm anymore, I just use my phone to do it.

When you say Pentair just lowered the price dramatically on the screen logic, any more detail than that? I about to purchase all new equipment and the tc15 kit looks to be about $750 online, is that the new lower price?

• landa_mac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think there is still a place for their wireless remotes. This iPhone app only does basic control of the pool/spa settings. It can turn on and off the circuits and adjust temperature settings. It can't setup the system or control the chlorinator, pump speeds and a million other things their MobileTouch remote can do. The MobileTouch can also repeatedly get dropped in the pool and keep operating.

But I agree, it offers Pentair customers a wealth of new value-added options. I called 23 of my IntelliTouch with ScreenLogic customers today and 14 of them owned iPhones or iPod touches!

That is the old price for part number 520500. The new price should be about $300 lower than that. But for that price, the customer gets hardware and PC software that gives them full setup and operation of their IntelliTouch system - even remotely from any PC. I also confirmed for one of my Mac customers that the ScreenLogic PC program will work on Mac computers if the customer buys a software program called Crossover Mac by Codeweavers.

• trhought
    15 years ago

landa-

Thanks for sharing the monitoring info....kinda scary now that I see it....can you imagine the possibilities with this kind of info on the web plus on-site video cameras....hmmm....spa pump: on, spa setpoint: 102 degrees, spa actual temp: 102 degrees....grab some popcorn, pull up a seat, turn on the remote video camera...this is gonna' be better than the show Big Brother!

jharrel - I see you also mention remote control of music via i-touch...can you elaborate. I would like to try this with my dedicated pool receiver inside the house using my wife's 3G i-phone to control the receiver, CD player and Zune while at poolside. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Sorry again to hijack.....

• jharrell
    15 years ago

landa_mac - I was going to get the hardwired screen for all the setup and full control, but for out by the pool all I need is temp/light control really, plus a device that can do everything else as well. as far as dropping in the water, thats what the otter box case is for :).

I was probably going to get the tc15 anyway for controlling everything from my pc, but the iphone app just sold it for me along with the price drop.

trhought - I have a mac media center with speakers going to the pool, so Apple lets you download a app called remote that can control itunes remotely, also there are other app that can control a pc or mac, even seeing the screen remotely.

To just control a receiver there is an app called ired that can use a irtrans device over the lan to send ir commands. Also HAI that makes my Omni is coming out with a lan based ir blaster that can be controlled by the home controller and then through the iphone interface to the controller. I think the irtran device is about $180.

• trhought
    15 years ago

Ahhhh....that explains it.....I was thinking the missing link was a PC but didn't know if there was an alternative. But wait you mention a lan ir blaster......that could be the ticket....have to research those now.

I actually have one of our PC's connected to the reciever already but a lot of times the PC is being used for games by the kids while I'm outside in the backyard listening to music so the standalone CD player and Zune is also nice to have. Sounds like I can have the i-phone up and going with our lan without any investment.

Thanks!

• Rack Etear
    15 years ago

Personally there are a million other issues that the pentair programmers should be working on before wasting their time with this.

I own a Jesus phone, but I dont want to be stuck with one forever.

BTW I dont think the otterbox for the iphone is waterproof.

You could also use a iPod touch to operate this as well.

• jharrell
    15 years ago

I am sure they would write an app for other brands of phones if they had a decent programming model and good installed base. Windows mobile is a lost cause, Android or Blackberry maybe, Blackberries suck to program compared to an iPhone and hardly anyone has an Android. Brew for normal phones maybe but it is a mess from a programming perspective as well.

Otterbox armor series for iPhone is waterproof, but for some reason they are not showing it on thier website, it's on Amazon for sale though.

• jscozz
    14 years ago

landa_mac,

I am getting a pool... and am leaning toward PenTair products... especially the variable speed pump. Just seems like they are a little better than Hayward and Jandy... is that your opinion also?

Do you know of a good source that described the Pentair automation options? I have gone over their web site, but it is still not clear to me exactly what pieces I will need... I want control via the following methods: Wired control on the wall, PC based control, Windows Mobile control, and interface to HAI Omni via the iLink (I think). Control for a pool, and a separate, stand alone spa.

I see your last post said they no package pc software with other pieces... and most of their control options include a wireless router... not sure why it is included... and not clear to me where the Pentair system interfaces with Ethernet...

Any advice you can provide or links to good info I would appreciate it.

• jharrell
    14 years ago

Pentair is not very clear, it seem to be on purpose as the want you to have your pool builder recommend, sell and install it.

As far as the engineering goes, it's a solid design, basically all the equipment sits on a common rs-485 bus, so they are all peers.

The "personality kit" does seem to be the brain though, and the various interfaces won't work without it as it orchestrates the system.

You will need a personality kit that matches your pool setup(in your case dual body of water?) and one of the interfaces minimum. I choose to get an i5 and a hardwired screen first.

On top of that you can get an intelliflo pump and or intellichor swg on the same bus such that you don't use relays to control the pump and swg like you would with normal equipment.

You can also have multiple interfaces, such as a hardwired screen and itc15 pc interface, all you do is daisy chain them off the same 4 pair of wires. Basically all the networked based controls use the same "serialbrick" rs-485 to ethernet converter OEM'd from Homelogic and they all come with a wireless router just to isolate the pool equipment on its own network factory configured for no setup. You don't have to use the wireless router that comes with it though.

The wireless remote that is not PDA based has it's own rs-485 to wireless converter that is proprietary.

The iLink is a rs-485 to rs-232 converter that also translates the Pentair binary protocol to simple ascii commands such that a Omni or Crestron could control it (but not all commands only a subset). It is also another device wired on the rs485.

So for you it sound like an i5,i7, or i9 personality kit for dual body of water, hardwired screen, itc15 kit for pc and WinMo (although I don't know if they let you download the winmo client separate like the iPhone one), and the iLink for Omni integration. Also an intellflo pump.

Sure would be nice if the Omni could speak whatever protocol the itc15 does over tcp/ip so you would not need a iLink, but they don't.

Be prepared to spend more on the interfaces than anything, >$400 for the hardwired screen, $700 for the itc15, $500 for the iLink.

• Rack Etear
    14 years ago

For a pool and separate spa you need a i10+3d for the personality kit.

The "personality kit" consist of a processor board, and the personality board. Also has extra relays to match the amount of auxiliary circuits you need. And temperature sensors (3 for the is10+3D.

I am really not sure why the ITC10 comes with a wireless router either, I figure if you need one, you can simply go buy one.

I was always told that the WinMo stuff was proprietary to their PDA's, not that I have ever cared enough to test it, but you can download the .exe from here.

http://www.pentairpool.com/techinfo/instructions.htm

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

Racket, I think it has port forwarding pre-enabled enabled in the firmware. It makes it easier than trying to have support explain TCPIP to a service tech.

It would be nice if they told us what port needs to be forwarded so that those of us that know and understand port forwarding don't have to buy "their" router but...

Scott

• Rack Etear
    14 years ago

Well if the router hooks up to a blocked port on the main router you are SOL.

You can just connect to their router w/ a PC to see which ports are forwarded. I'd imagine that they'd modify the firmware so if the router is reset, it keeps that port active.

• jscozz
    14 years ago

Thank you to everyone for the info...

As for the Personality modules... are the all the same except for the number of relays/systems they support? If I have a stand alone spa, the i5,i7 and i9 all look like they are for shared equipment... would I need the i10 for pool and stand alone spa that are completely separate? Or is it best to not have a stand alone spa on this system?

I assume I also need the load center or power center? Does the personality module go outside in the power center chassis? And I assume it then has connections for all equipment.

I assume IntelliTouch system is PentAir's most capable and top of the line?

• landa_mac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello jscozz,

Pentair has definitely been leading the way with their control systems for the last several years.

I spec their systems all the time so here is what you would need:

520136 - IntelliTouch load center with breaker base
    520510 - IntelliTouch i10+3D personality kit for dual bodies of water with dual equipment (this assumes that you have a separate pump, filter, and heater for the pool and the spa)

As for interfaces, there is the standard 3.8 inch graphical monochrome interface (520138). There is also the new Mobi2 wireless remote (520906) which is a wireless version of 520138. Or you can opt for the more advanced ScreenLogic systems. There are 4:

520500 - Software for the PC. This software is on Pentairpool's site so you can install it on multiple PCs.
    520501 - PDA interface
    520502 - 7" inwall touch screen
    520503 - 8.4" wifi Tablet

Once you have any one of the above ScreenLogic kits, you can use the iPhone or iPod touch interface. It is a free app on the Apple App Store (available on every iPhone & iPod touch).

You have to run a 22 gauge solid 4 conductor copper wire from the protocol adapter (that comes in each ScreenLogic kit) to the 520136 Load Center. If that proves to be impossible given your equipment pad location to the home, then you can use the ScreenLogic wireless connection kit (520639).

You can also add their advanced ScreenLogic Video & Lighting protocol adapter to the above solutions. You can then add up to 4 video cameras (they support Panasonic only) and install UPB light switches (universal powerline bus). More info on this here: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/ScreenLogicViedoLightingUG.pdf

Here is a link to a brochure that I give all of my customers. It has all the info and part numbers for IntelliTouch and ScreenLogic systems - all the accessories:

Here is a link that might be useful: ScreenLogic & IntelliTouch brochure

• jscozz
    14 years ago

Thanks, landa_mac.

Can the PDA software be loaded on any Windows Mobile 6.1 device? Do the PDA and PC software use UDP messages or a TCP connection? i.e. are either built with any security (login) for use from the Internet? I do everything with my WM phone via Internet, and since they have an iPhone app, I am guessing there is some security built into the system for use from the Internet (not open to anyone who happens to know your home's IP address and loads up iPhone or PC software). And the PDA app will run on WM6.1 or one is coming soon?

I am using a different subpanel at the pad, so i assume I can get by with just the Power Center which seems exactly the same as the load center but without the breaker section? Or is there some other advantage to using their load center?

• landa_mac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jscozz - ScreenLogic will work with their Load Center (520136) or Power Center (520137). The only difference between the two is the Load Center has breakers in it and the Power Center does not.

I'm not sure if the ScreenLogic PDA software works on Windows Mobile 6.1. Download it from their site and give it a try: http://www.pentairpool.com/techinfo/instructions.htm All of my customers today only care about one platform = iPhone! It's amazing how many folks are using the iPhone...

The way I was told ScreenLogic works is that every protocol adapter has a unique address. When the adapter is plugged into the internet (via the homeowner's router), it communicates with a relay server on the internet. The relay server knows the IP address of the protocol adapter and that is what connects remote users to their adapters assuming the remote users know their user name and password (each protocol adapter can be given a password to prevent unwanted access).

• jharrell
    14 years ago

Screenlogic actually connects two ways, one is a "local" where it broadcast on your lan to find the protocol adapter, the other is "remote" where you setup an account in the protocol adapter setup and it connects to a relay server run by either pentair or homelogic, not sure which, then the screenlogic software also connects to the relay server with a name and password.

Neither one seems to require knowing the IP of anything, the remote make an outbound connection from the adapter to them, so it doesn't seem to need ports open on your firewall or anything.

Sorry to say there is a reason everyone cares about the iPhone and not WinMo, after using WinMo for years there is no comparison. The average person can use an iPhone daily and it just works fast and reliable, no registry, no third party hacks, no rebooting to make it stable. The development platform is much better too, which is why all the apps are being made for it.

Still ridiculous the iTC15 protocol adapter is $700, I thought they where going to lower the price on this thing? It very tempting just to buy a rs485 to ethernet adapter for $100 and create a .Net library based on dBeau's work of decoding the protocol to glue my intellitouch, Omni and iPhone together on my Lan instead.

• jscozz
    14 years ago

Do you know if PentAir/HomeLogic is providing DDNS service only to resolve to the home IP address and the login is controlled by the adapter? Or is PentAir/HomeLogic an active party in the comm between my application running somewher on the Inet and the adapter in my home? I'm not real keen on depending on a 3rd party... and them having access to my system... especially when there is no technical reason for that.

• jharrell
    14 years ago

Again from what I can tell in "remote" mode the protocol adapter connects out from your home network to the Pentair/Homelogic relay server, then your iPhone or other Screenlogic client connects to the relay server and the relay server matches you up by name which you make up.

I would assume password is authenticated by the protocol adapter and all traffic reflected off the relay server is encrypted with that password so Pentair can't actually see what your doing, all they do is mirror encrypted bytes between your screen logic and you protocol adapter, but I could be wrong, maybe they can see what your doing, since they made the system I am sure they could if they really wanted to. None of this requires DDNS, since the relay server isn't trying to connect to your home network, it's the other way around.

So yes all traffic bounces off Pentair's server this allows them to get around having to tell people to publish ports and setup ddns etc.

In "Local" mode Screenlogic broadcast to find the protocol adapter on the same Lan and connects directly, this does not require the relay server or an internet connection of any kind.

• landa_mac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jharrell - the $700 price you quote is from Internet retailers. They are way behind the curve. You can buy the ScreenLogic PC Kit (iTC15) for about $425 from most pool dealers.

• tandmsmommy
    14 years ago

We are starting our dig Thursday we are using pentair equipment.(Hot tub and grotto) What extra would I need to utilize this Iphone Feature? thanks

• jharrell
    14 years ago

landa_mac,

Thats good to know, usually it's the other way around and local pool dealers where quoting me 2x the price of what I could get online for Pentair.

tandmsmommy,

You will need the ScreenLogic PC Kit (iTC15) to go with an Intellitouch(not EasyTouch or Suntouch) system for iPhone access.

• landa_mac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The iPhone will work once you add any of the ScreenLogic kits to the IntelliTouch interface. This includes the following part numbers (from the ScreenLogic brochure listed above):

520500 - PC Interface kit (most inexpensive way to get ScreenLogic)
    520501 - PDA kit (comes with an Asus PDA with Windows Mobile)
    520502 - 7" in-wall color touch screen (WinCE)
    520503 - 8.4" Wifi Tablet (WinCE)

• jscozz
    14 years ago

I am looking at all 3 companies for their control systems and interfaces... Pentair Intellitouch, Jandy Aqualink, and Goldline Aqua Logic. I appreciate the details above on the Pentair system.

I know the Intellitouch uses a 485 bus and am now familiar with it's dedicated controls as well as PC and PDA interfaces... can anyone tell me if the Jandy and Goldline systems also use a 485 bus, and what, if any, PC and PDA remote access capabilities they have? Am I also correct to assume that there is no vendor interoperability? i.e. to get the most benefit you need to have parts (pump, SWG, lights, heat pump, etc.) from the same vendor as the control system? i.e. a different vendor's heat pump while more efficient, will not talk to a Goldline control sys?

Also, what other vendors besides Goldline have a system that will auto monitor and adjust salt generator and dose CO2 as needed?

• Rack Etear
    14 years ago

Both goldline and jandy work off of RS-485, but there is no interoperability, except jandy controllers, and intelliflo pumps.

I'd suggest that everything come from the same vendor, unless another vendor has a far superior product.

Goldline control systems can be used with any heat pump, but the diagnostic information will not be utilized, only dry contacts to turn it on and off.

"Also, what other vendors besides Goldline have a system that will auto monitor and adjust salt generator and dose CO2 as needed?"

Please trust me when I say this, you do not want an ORP/pH feeder on a residential pool. There are too many whacky things that happen to these systems to operate them with the lack of monitoring that a residential pool system typically has ( not daily monitoring). Once you get a process for maintaining it, it will be very easy to maintain proper pH/ Chlorine levels.

• landa_mac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi jscozz,

All the companies control systems use a 485 bus. Jandy has a PC interface but it is pretty lame and it doesn't come close to Pentair's ScreenLogic (see http://www.jandy.com/pdfs/7271revE.pdf).

Jandy and Hayward have what they call a PDA but these were launched after Pentair's ScreenLogic PDA (which is a true multi-function PDA) and not a "Pool Digital Assistant" as Jandy calls theirs (http://www.jandy.com/html/products/controls/aqualink_pda.php)

From what I have seen, Pentair's controls are much more advanced than Jandy and Haywards. See the ScreenLogic brochure posted above.

In general, it is always best if you don't mix and match your equipment. You don't want to get into a situation where Company A's control system doesn't work exactly right with Company B's pump, heater, heat pump, laminars, color LED lights, etc.

Good luck trying to get to the bottom of that interoperability issue!

• jscozz
    14 years ago

Do any of these manufacturers systems have the ability to upgrade the firmware as new functionality is added? Control unit, keypads, etc?

I assume the firmware and intelligence is in the Personality unit for the Pentair?

• landa_mac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I believe Jandy requires a new chip when features are added to their system. I think it runs about $500+.

Pentair releases free firmware updates regularly on their website. See http://www.pentairpool.com/techinfo/downloads.htm

I'm not sure what Hayward does. I have never heard if they have updates.

• jharrell
    14 years ago

"Pentair releases free firmware updates regularly on their website. See http://www.pentairpool.com/techinfo/downloads.htm";

It's not free when you have to buy a $1200 flash programmer or pay a pool tech that has one do it.

I can upgrade my $50 routers firmware through it's web page, that's free.

• jscozz
    14 years ago

Thanks for all of the input...

PB is telling me that they get much better pricing on Hayward equip (var speed pump, Goldline SWCG,filter, etc.) and better warranty than PentAir. But, there is so little info on the GoldLine Controls or Hayward sites about their control system... from feedback on here you have said that it does NOT have two way communications capabilities with Home Automation systems (RS-232)... and the ProLogic docs I looked at seem to confirm this on-way only API... but the Goldline web site says that their HA interface allows pool features to be controlled and status viewed on HA system... conflicting info. Also, I see NO mention of any control options via PC or PDA... only the Goldline wireless or wired remotes.

Is my understanding above correct? What are the odds that Goldline/Hayward will enhance their system in the near future to include a more full featured control system like Pentair? Or, since remote control and monitoring is important to me, is it worth it to pay more, have less warranty to get the better Pentair control product?

Is the Hayward variable speed pump comparable to the Intelliflo in functionality and efficiency? How about the cartridge filters and SWG?

What would you choose?

• landa_mac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would go with Pentair 100%. The IntelliFlo pump is LIGHT years ahead of the Hayward offering. Same with Automation systems. Pentair and Jandy have had home automation interfaces for almost a decade. Hayward is just getting into the game so their solution is probably not up to speed as evidenced by the conflicting info and lack of info.

Hayward and Pentair and Jandy all have the same warranty. 1 year on stand alone equipment and 3 years if you buy the equipment bundle (pump, filter, heater, or automation, etc.). Your pool builder probably gets some sort of reward points from Hayward so that is why he is steering you in this direction.

• naggeneen
    14 years ago

Hi all!

Does anyone know where I can go in order to buy the Screenlogic ITC-15 kit for the $425 mentioned earlier? I've contacted several different pool builders and supply dealers and am getting consistently quoted anywhere between $675 and $1,000. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

• natural_one
    14 years ago

Im having some trouble with this app on my iphone. I can connect locally and remotely, but I only have 2 tabs at the top, (high temp and circuits).
    High Temp has several of my macros I can turn on and off and circuits has 2 other macros... The only way to get any lights to turn on is to turn on a macro that has lights saved to it... I dont have a lights page to control individual lights, color of my intellibrites, etc. any tips?

iphone says 5.0 build 99.0 Rel and Im not sure what the intellitouch version is but can get it this evening when home.

thanks!

• landa_mac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sounds like you have, using the ScreenLogic interface configuration utility, configured the Low Temp circuit function to something other than "Low Temp" in an effort to hide Low Temp from the ScreenLogic interface Main page. Change the circuit function back to Low Temp and all should be good.

While this iPhone/iPod touch app is great, Pentair did limit the functionality. I don't think there is a specific lights page. You can configure macros for one or more lights. On the 3 iPhone setups that I have been involved with, I have just assigned the multiple pool lights and spa light into one macro and call it "Pool Lights". My customers have been more than happy with this since they just want the ability to turn the lights on or off remotely. If they want to be more fancy than that, they just fire up the ScreenLogic PC interface which gives them complete control.

• natural_one
    14 years ago

Landa, thanks... I'll try that tonight.

Looking at the screen shots posted in this thread I guess I do not see "lights" or "lighting"... however, look at this link and you will see what Im talking about on the last screen shot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Screen Logic screenshots

• landa_mac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I see what you mean. That is a new tab that shows up along with the Video tab if you have their Video & Lighting protocol adapter. This is a new adapter that adds support for live video and UPB (universal powerline bus) light switches throughout the home.

• pesh
    14 years ago

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but i am trying to see how i can get control of my yard (low voltage), pool and spa lights (intellibrite led) via the iPhone ScreenLogic app??? I have control over all three lights via my indoor wall panel and the ScreenLogic app on my computer, but not via my iPhone? I seem to be able to control everything else, but the lights??

Thanks,
    -Pesh

• landa_mac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Pesh, you can turn all types of pool/spa lights on and off but you can't control IntelliBrite colors from the iPhone. To turn the lights on and off, create a macro and tie them to that macro. Then an ON/OFF switch will show up in Circuits. It took some fiddling but I figured it out.

• pesh
    14 years ago

Thanks Landa.

Any tips, pointers, links, short cuts on creating the macros? Is that done from within ScreenLogic software on PC? or at Control Panel on wall?

Also, I'm curious if anyone has got an iPad and running ScreenLogic app... Does it obsolete the need for Tablet Controller from Pentair?

-Pesh

• landa_mac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You can create a macro using the ScreenLogic PC interface or using the IntelliTouch indoor control panel. ScreenLogic should run on the iPad (I will test it on Monday when I get mine). I would imagine it would obsolete the need for the Tablet controller.

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

I would be surprised if it does work. The iPhone and iPad are two different opperating systems as I understand them.

Scott

• gawebber
    14 years ago

That is very cool.

• landa_mac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Apple has said that all 150,000 iPhone apps should work without a problem on the iPad. I will report in on Monday after I get mine.

Pesh - you can create a macro in the ScreenLogic PC configuration setup. On page 2 of 5, you can create a new Feature Circuit and call it Lights. Then go into the Feature Circuit Configuration button and check off what existing circuits will come on when you activate Lights. After this, assign it to show up on the Water Features/Main page. Then it will show up on the Circuits page of the iPhone interface. Note: for a circuit to show up on the iPhone circuits page, it has to be assigned a location in ScreenLogic (Pool, Spa, or Water Features).

• landa_mac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If you didn't see my new post - Just a quick note to report that Pentair's ScreenLogic iPhone/iPod touch app also works on Apple's new iPad.

Here are some Screenshots...

Shot of the ScreenLogic icon installed:

ScreenLogic running on the iPad compared to the iPod touch:

• Rack Etear
    14 years ago

So you are saying that the ipad can serve a purpose besides being "cool"?

• pacifica
    14 years ago

This app is really cool. We've tested it a few times and had super good response to it! Not for everyone (as mentioned above) - but for the people that like to control their technologies at their fingertips, it's great! Also cool is the "Remote" app that let's you control base station enabled audio. Sitting in the spa and controlling all your music that plays through the outdoor speakers is pretty cool.

Thanks for posting the screen shots of the iPad with the app installed as well!

• casman
    14 years ago

excuse my ig'nance -- but i have the pentair intellitouch, have the handheld remote thing, and i have an i-phone - downloaded the app, but then nothing, and i was told i need to get something that costs $600 or so -- a personality kit? seems steep just to control on the iphone...i have wireless internet at the house, can't it just run off that? why do i need another router??

• pesh
    13 years ago

Setting up custom IP address for ScreenLogic. I have had this working for a while, but it seems to have stopped. I cannot figure out why, but i have my ScreenLogic Protocol adapter plugged directly into my home router. The last thing I needed was to add another router to my already complicated network setup. I have set up the port-forwarding and verified it is all the same. I am able to connect using my laptop and iPhone while in the house and on the home network. However, when I try to access my pool remotely (away from home), i get a relay server failure :( Any suggestions? pointers to others who have solved this problem?

Thanks in advance,
    Pesh