SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
el_duderino

Hayward vs Pentair Automation

el_duderino
15 years ago

My pool builder is letting me decide between the Haywared (Goldline) PS8 and the minimum intellitouch i7 controls. The former (Hayward) is more or less all the bells and whistles (wireless, aquapod remote) and the Pentair is bare bones (1 wired controller and 1 wired spa side). This option (Intellitouch) will cost us an additional $500.

They feel the Goldline is a better choice for us as we don't need some of the advanced features and it has 2 more relays than the intellitouch, but have warned that service is poor in our area for Hayward.

I never see much info on this stuff and our last pool was Jandy automation(not an option), so this is uncharted territory.

As I understand it, the Goldline is easy to use and has some good features, but is very proprietary and if you lose your programs you have to start over. The intellitouch is an actual computer and has more robust features.

Is the Intellitouch worth the extra $500?

Comments (44)

• landa_mac
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Your pool builder is comparing the mid-range Hayward system to a top of the line IntelliTouch system. If I were you, and I'm shocked your pool builder did not suggest this, I would request an EasyTouch8 (PN 520545) system with wireless remote from Pentair. The EasyTouch is more of an apples to apples comparison to the Hayward than the IntelliTouch is. The EasyTouch systems have been priced to be equivalent to the Hayward systems whereas IntelliTouch systems carry a premium do to the added features (that not all users require).

• Related Discussions

Pentair Quad DE or Hayward Pro Grid

Q

Comments (18)
    The stainless tank is exactly what makes it the best. I put more faith in that tank for a long life expectancy than any fiberglass or thermoplastic tank. The filtration effectiveness and flow will be the exact same on both units. That's why I said I liked what I read about the Hayward 72 over the Quad. I had a Quad comp'd to me about 4 years ago, we placed it at a salesgirls home pool. It didn't backwash as effectively as a unit with DE grids. They gave us a retro diverter assembly manifold for the unit to help in this aspect of operation. Although better I still wasn't overly impressed with the unit. My salesgirl loves it because it beat her 10+ yr old filter hands down. Trust me on this, I wont make a product switch unless I'm firmly convinced it's better, not just more expensive. And coming back to me with this retrofit diverter assembly for brand new product that's not only noticably more expensive but has lesser performance effectiveness in the backwash cycle sunk it's battleship. I just couldn't join the Quad's fan club based on my real world interaction with the unit. Note, my salesgirl, one of my longest employees loves hers. that's why I couldn't speak negatively about the product, I just couldn't speak positively about it either. Maybe Reno's correct, it's probably just real hard to give any cartridge filter an effective backwashing without a filter breakdown. I have a VERY large pool (120k gal) and only break my 60's down at the beginning of swim season (the weekend before spring break) then I backwash for the following year. I have no need for a unit that refuses to backwash as well as a product which costs the same or less. As soon as one of my tanks gives up it's ghost I'll surely regret not stepping up to the plate and getting what I really wanted but cheaped out on due to cost over-runs on my pool construction project. See ya, Kelly
    ...See More

Pentair vs. Hayward cartridge filters

Q

Comments (4)
    I dont really have an opinion on differences between the 2 filtersyou mentioned, but I think you should reconsider the oversized filters. One,with 500+ feet of filter area you wont have to clean the filter as often, in fact on most pools I only do this every 6 mos. Second, the cartride on the small filter usually needs to be replaced every year while the big filters need new carts. typically every 4-5 years so the cost is the same. If you dont want to spend all that money at once, buy 1 cart a month.
    ...See More

jandy vs. pentair pool equipment and remote computer

Q

Comments (19)
    Im not super impressed with My Jandy system,nor the raft of new pentair components I upgraded with this past spring either. The Jandy RS-8 has been reliable and its remote is very nice and one ups all your buddies for sure. Its easy program to do basic things, but when it comes to sophisticated variable flow pumps, and temperature based switching it falls short. I have solar as well, and the for the most part the valving is accurate and well timed, but its lacks flexibility or flatly put its just not really advanced at all. It CANNOT BELIEVE it cant do temperature based switching! For example I cant seem to find a way to get the system to regulate the solar output to the spa until it hits 104 then switch to the pool till 85 and bounce back and forth and maintain 2 temps. Sure I can control this manually or set up to 2 clock timers on each point of control, and the solar can deliver it, but the point is I was told this was an "automation system." - maybe in 1993 it would be but for what you should get- its just not. The documentation isnt really descriptive about certain behavior - Does turning off solar priority with a heater on allow solar preheating of the water going into the heater?? I cant seem to tell. As with solar priority off I see the solar marked as "on" in addition to the heater being "on"- is this normal. I cant get anybody to actually come out and try an Intelliflow with it (so I can regulate GPM to the panels) and I live in southern California! The things well built though and the panel is sturdy and Im sure with a little software coding could be awesome, but "2.0" (I hear rev O will drive an intelliflow but nobody seems to know) doesnt seem to be coming out anytime soon. My pentair quad de60 filter is leaking after the first lid pop. My pentair minimax 400 has needed 2 service calls in 6 months with weeks of non use between them. My whisperflows have been awesome, as is my goldline chlorinator. Good luck Bro, Dave
    ...See More

Jandy vs. Pentair

Q

Comments (9)
    quote" I have seen/had customers with Jandy equipment that develop leaks, get loud, electrical problems, etc. that I have not had with Pentair stuff. "quote I'm sorry pool guy NJ but I don't by this at all. I've replaced more PS1000 seals and motors on Whisperflo and Challenger pumps than I ever have on the Jandy pumps. I'm not saying Jandy's better it's just my preferred equipment. IMO, any equipment from any of the fab four((Pentair,Jandy,StaRite,orHayward) is well engineered and well constructed product. The after the sale warranty support is what makes Jandy my choice. I do like the 4x160 with the EZ Touch8 controller a bunch, I just have a problem with the extra coin compared to the 2speed Jandy with a Aqualink PDA. I just had to add salt to a recent pool with this combo. I had to spin the pump over 1000 rpm to get the flow to register on the IC40 salt water chlorinator. Where's the savings? Leia, either would be a good choice and if he'll give you the 4x160 at the same price as the Jandy, JUMP ON IT!!! IMO the fitters are equal. See ya, Kelly
    ...See More
  • repair_guy
    15 years ago

There is no comparison. But, they are using smoke and mirrors. It's like a Yugo salesman convincing his car is better than the Camry you are considering. It's not apples to apples.

A better comparison is the Goldline ProLogic to the EasyTouch. In that comparison, EasyTouch is still superior. IntelliTouch is very high end and it's wireless cost can't be compared to any other product. It is very expensive and does far more.

Take the EasyTouch and a 4x160 and see what he says. If he still balks, he is set on Goldline only and not giving you a fair choice.

• el_duderino
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I should clarify a bit.

The original plan was for the Goldline (that's what the contract has). However, in the time that the builds been underway, they've had a few issues with a few of the Haywards and have had some service issues. As a result, they've been in discussions with the Pentair reps and the plan was to try and get me upgraded to an Intellitouch for the same price. I guess they weren't successful in that, and now the upgrade is $500.

I'll throw out the idea of the EZtouch and see what he says.

Just out of curiosity, what is the problem with the Goldline controls? Are the Pentairs really that superior?

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

• el_duderino
    Original Author
    15 years ago

One more question (since it was brought up):

What are the differences/benfits of the 4x160 vs the 2 speed whisperflows that are currently contracted?

Thanks!

• landa_mac
    15 years ago

In my opinion, Pentair has done a far superior job of integrating their control systems to work with their other pool equipment. The IntelliFlo pump is a great example. IntelliChlor is another. I think Pentair's interfaces (Indoor control panel and wireless remote) are far more simple to operate for the homeowner. More buttons for direct on/off of the various circuits. Jandy and Hayward's remote require the user to scroll through long lists.

• huskyridor
    15 years ago

WOW, I'm kind of confused about your builders specifications. An Aqualogic PS8 and Whisperflo pump.
    Normally, in my area, a Hayward equipment set will have an H-series heater with a Swim Clear multi cartridge filter, Tristar pump, and a Phantom cleaner.
    I'm curious what heater, filter, and cleaner did he specify?

See ya,
    Kelly

• el_duderino
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All of the equipment is Pentair. My PB is not fond of the Easytouch as he feels is it hard to program and the fourth actuator controls steals one of the relays (so you don't have 8). Also, the 7th function is solar, which we do not have. Also says, the EZ would require a wired spa side, which adds money and starts getting close to intellitouch territory.

So at the end of the day, I think he obviously prefers the Intellitouch but for the money thinks the aqualogic has more bang for the buck than the ez8. However, as previously mentioned, I have been warned about Hayward service issues in my area.

Huskyridor, does that make any more sense?

BTW, here is the equipment in the contract:
    Pentair Whisperflow 1.5 HP 2 speed Pumps (2)
    Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter
    Aqualogic Controls and Salt Generator
    Choice of Cleaner

• el_duderino
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is the revised equipment list. Note, Auto-fill was added on an addendum:

Filter Pump: Pentair WhiperFlo 1.5 HP 2 speed (Full-rated)
    Filter: Pentair FNS Plus DE with Push/Pull Valve
    Sanitizer: IntelliChlor (Salt)
    Heater: Pentair 400,000 BTU ID Master Temp
    Pool Cleaner: Polaris 360 or Equivalent
    Skimmer/s: 1 Returns: 4
    Pool Main Drains: Hydrostatic, dual safety,
    anti-vortex
    Spa/Feature Pump(s): Pentair WhisperFlo 1.5 HP (Full-Rated)
    Spa Jets: 6 Waterway Theraputic Jets
    Blower: Silencer 220 Volt; 1.5 HP

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

ok, after reading his reasons to go with Goldline, I'm convinced he is only interested in that unit. Those are all bogus reasons and have no merit. The ET wireless would not even require a spa side remote. Counter that to his opinions. He obviously does know the circuit function and circuit name process of the unit. You're not doing anything unusual here. It will work.

4 speed vs 2 speed s fr energy savings. You will save more with a 4 speed.

• landa_mac
    15 years ago

Your pool builder is not educated or trying to pull a fast one on you. EasyTouch 8 is Filter pump relay (1) plus 7 auxiliary relays for lights, cleaners, you name it. It even has an AUX extra feature which effectively makes it an EasyTouch 9 if you don't use solar. EasyTouch does not require a wired spa-side. However, it can use the iS4 4 button spa-side or even the 10 button iS10 spa-side remote now.

• poolguynj
    15 years ago

The VS3050 has four settings which can be any combination of the 305 user selectable speeds available. A dual speed pump gives you only two speeds.

The motor on the VS is much more efficient and the fact that it can be programmed to run at much lower rpms reduces current draw substantially.

Why are two pumps spec'ed?

The spa side controller is NOT required. A 4 button wireless remote is available. Since this is and existing pool, adding a wired spa side control would require a trench and conduit is an unnecessary expense.

As for the pool sweep, a Polaris 380 or Legend come with a 3/4 hp booster pump.

I'd rather think the PB isn't as educated on Pentair's line up of products.

While the FNS filter is a fine product, I prefer the Quad DE
    with a multiport (Yes I know it adds head pressure). Cleaning grids is a pain vs. cleaning cartridges (much easier) and having the waste and bypass settings is useful.

The menu system on the ET is easy to navigate.

Good Luck!

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

This guy is clueless. After looking at that spec sheet, I'm convinced he has one more AQL8 or PL8 to invoice before 2009 so he can get a freeby on his rewards program. Any complication to using an EasyTouch, his words, is due to his stupidity. Tell the knucklehead he can install a 4x160 to drive that sweep, filter the pool, drive the spa jets in more than one speed AND filter in sub-two speed ranges and NEVER use an AUX relay. You will still have 8 relays.

he has complicated his own install and you are paying for it. There is no reason in this day to buy a circ pump, a jet pump AND a blower. how about stepping into a new century?

See what he says about that. Obviously there is nothing you can do now that it is built but maybe he next guy will benefit.

Everything you have can be addressed from the EasyTouch. You salt cell will plug right into the unit and therefore you will not have to install a separate power center AND you can adjust he salt settings from the EasyTouch wireless he says is not good.

I think the pros have spoken here. you are dealing with an uneducated guy who is not willing to embrace new things.

• el_duderino
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. "clueless" and "knucklehead" are a bit strong, but I do agree there may be more at play here than meets the eye. Possibly financial incentive, possibly more comfort in a known system, or something else.

I do appreciate everyone's replies. I will dig a little more on this.

In all fairness, my PB's have build many award winning pools and have received a lot of accolades for their technical achievements, so I do feel the need to give them the benefit of the doubt before jumping to conclusions.

A few things have changed along the way during our build, so there is a good chance we're down to one pump now. I'll have to check. Also, there is some complication in our pool with the spa being in the basin, which requires some extra thought on how the water is moved around.

• thepoolman1
    15 years ago

In my opinion, for what it's worth, I always sell the Goldline system. Best value for the money. The Aquapro systems have plug-in SWG capacity and a total chemistry control option. All of this can also be controlled from the panel or wireless Aquapod.

All of these systems are basically very expensive on/off switches. How many fancy options do you need or want to pay extra for? Think of all the options in your cell phone. How many of them do you actually use? Fun at first, then you just make calls and do what you did with your old phone, if anything extra at all.

The Goldline systems will do everything the more expensive ones will do. The wireless Aquapod can be tossed in the pool and left there. Try that with the wireless Pentair control. If the Pentair control breaks outside of warranty, I can take out the entire Pentair system and replace it with a comparable Goldline PS-4/8/16 with wireless for only a couple of hundred more than the cost of the Pentair remote alone. Aquapod replacement cost is only about 25% of the Mobiletouch.

As for ease of use, one who uses or works regularly with the Pentair, Jandy, or Goldline systems will, of course, find them easy to use. Most homeowners I have spoken with don't. The manufacturers really don't want the homeowner to start changing too many settings in these controls, and rightly so. Its very easy to push a wrong button or change a setting incorrectly and then have problems. All of these systems have their own idiosyncrasies, but the Goldline seems to be the most intuitive for the inexperienced. It has been very easy for me to walk a customer through setting, or re-setting them over the phone. Not so with Pentair or Jandy.

If the Pentair remote, wired or wireless, breaks down, you lose control of the system until it is fixed/replaced (exception being the Easy Touch I believe). Same with Jandy. The Goldline systems are standalone at the pad with the remote actually being an auxiliary control. That's just like most television remotes (look carefully, there are buttons on the set itself).

If you want variable speed pumps, Hayward makes a nice one with the TriStar line. If you want to use the Pentair variable speed pumps there is a Pentair add-on that will allow their pumps to interface with any control system.

If I appear to be biased, it is only because I believe that this system is best for you, the customer. I can and will sell a customer whichever they want. Being in business, I will make a profit on any brand. Being in business for 20 gives me some insight into how these systems generally are used and how to save you money.

• poolguynj
    15 years ago

1st As a tech, I have found TriStars bearings suspect. The only Hayward pump I still like is the Super Pump.

When did Hayward release the multispeed TriStar? I saw it at the AC show last January but not for release yet.

Most folks don't want an open tank of acid out by the equipment pad, especially if there are kids around. So pH control is moot.

If I remember, the mobi is waterproof too. The little 4 button remote is not.

Both system brands are very reliable.

The EZ Touch has all controls in the main panel too. If the remotes fail, the front panel still has all functions.

Having sold and worked on both, I still find the Pentair to be the better system.

Both companies have good phone support but I have found Pentair's dealer support to be there when I need them. I haven't seen that from Hayward.

• landa_mac
    15 years ago

thepoolman1 - your statements show that you are very behind the times and not aware of the latest offerings out there...I bet you just upgraded to the AquaLogic from the Pool Boss system last year...!!!

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

The sad truth is that there are few who would willingly install a Goldline system but for the rewards. They are cheap and you can flow through many of them. Thus, increasing your end of year bonus. If evaluated strictly from a technological view, most will choose the Pentair. Jandy is good but seldom worth the premium price. EasyTouch has pretty much become the standard to beat as it is the only mid-range unit to directly interface with he most modern multispeed pumps.

The TriStar energy solution pump has been out for some time. You would not know it by sales though. Service techs are wise to the fact that the TriStar pump is a failure. The Emerson partnership has not worked. You will be see a failure of the bearings as one poster noted.

• huskyridor
    15 years ago

!!!WOW!!!
    I'm really shocked that you guys would trash the input of a 20 year builder and a member of the forum with 5 plus years on the board.
    Quite frankly, I think he made an awesome reply to El Duderino's original question. Very informative and totally on topic.
    You can take note that I prefer Jandy equipment but I place into service what the customer wants regardless of the business benefit to me.
    I was a Pac Fab dealer forever and still put quite a bit of their product into service, and although I've never been a dealer for Hayward I put it into service too.

Poolman I think you hit the nail on the head with this sentence.
    quote" Being in business, I will make a profit on any brand. Being in business for 20 gives me some insight into how these systems generally are used and how to save you money."quote

Thanks for your reply.

See ya,
    Kelly

• trhought
    15 years ago

Agee with Kelly. Landa Mac and RG continue to show their bias and bash all other brands and members who share a different perspective.

I personally found thepoolman's response a breath of fresh air....recommending solutions based on customer's needs and budget and still making some profit from any situation.

Recommending technology for the sake of technology without considering the expense and maintenance to keep the technology alive is irresponsible.

By the way RG, my Jandy 2 speeds are over 2 years in service without any of the so called AO Smith motor failures that are apparently so prevelant in the pool industry. Believe me, I would like to knock AO Smith because I sell against them every day in HVAC, but your credibility on pump reliability is questionable in my mind and your comments on this board are misleading.

Not sure what landa mac does for a living but most posts are related to Pentair and you seem to like bleeding edge technology without consideration to value, price or usefulness. All companies love customers like you as they help boost profits on high margin products...just try not to mislead the average consumer on this forum with "if you don't buy this technology, you are missing out" messages. There are other solutions out there that will reliably do the job just the same, just without all the gee-whiz expensive technology. Consumers can see the truths in the technology once they do their homework and will make their own decisions based on what's important to their application.

My 2 cents for what it's worth!

• el_duderino
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! I had no idea my "simple" question would bring forth such a heated discussion. I'm very proud! :-)

Actually, I have taken everyone's replies very seriously and also with a grain of salt. I've been lurking in these forums long enough to recognize some of the biases that exist here.

I will say, that I truly value the opinions of my pool builders. They have been very upfront with me on the pluses and minuses of each solution and have shared their experience with each in the field.

I have found it pretty interesting the responses I've received, basically making assumptions and pointing fingers at my PB's without knowing any details behind my build or the history, track record of my builders for that matter.

I consider our project to be fairly involved compared to what I see on a day to day basis. However, we're one of the smaller, if not smallest jobs our pool builders take on. They do crazy technological feats and have countless awards as a result. I did a lot of due diligence prior to moving forward with them. So, I find it pretty fascinating the attitudes and name calling that has taken place in this very thread.

I still value the opinions I've been offered, and being a true skeptic at heart, I understand that everyone has their own agendas. It just becomes very apparent on this board how blatant many people around here are with those agendas.

Thepoolman1, your comment on "expensive on/off switches" resonates with me and is making me rethink my previous decision.

Gotta love the internet. Folks, please feel free to continue this discussion/debate!

• landa_mac
    15 years ago

Sorry if I seem biased...I am! I work day in and day out installing and servicing pool controls. I just happen to like the direction that Pentair has taken with their systems. So shoot me. I find them far more configurable and easy to install and maintain. To each his own. Enough said.

• trhought
    15 years ago

El_Duderino-

Yeah...the internet is good for some things and not so good for others....just have to filter the information heavily.....about every 30 posts or so, there is a golden nugget!

While I was doing homework for our pool, here was my thought process related to automation....wanted to share this as it relates to the "expensive on/off switches" comment.

I originally had manual on/off switches strategically placed all around the pool for all 4 of our pumps and different lighting systems. Our equipment pad is about 40' from the pool and 40' from the house so I did not want to keep going to it for any of the manual switching.

I then realized that since I travel frequently, I would have to have timers to save energy with the pumps and then realized that I will also need freeze protection because I would not always be around to babysit the system. Also realized there would be extra expense when I run the conduit and pull wires to each of these remote switches.

So I started researching automation systems. I'm a DIY'er so I downloaded all the installation and owner's manuals to educate myself along with info from this forum and others. In the end, I chose a system that seemed easiest to install and program from a reputable company that backed the product with warranty and support (I spent a lot of time with support on the phone and got to know them all by first name with all the questions I had about their product before I bought it). I also got a great deal on the automation system and realized that all the other features it offered would be benefits such as controlling the lighting and waterfalls from within the house or from our spa.

With the multiple pumps as you have described, it would seem at a minimum you would want remote switches at strategic locations if you don't want to run to the pad all the time. This setup will require babysitting to provide freeze protection and turning the pumps on/off manually....or forgetting to turn the pumps off which will waste energy.

If you want to go with a more hands-off approach, then a timer with built-in freeze protection would be another step up in control (a timer with 2 speed control also since you mentioned a 2 speed pump). By the way you asked about 2 speed vs variable speed earlier without a reply...I personally think a 2 speed pump is smart if you want to save significant energy at low speed. Variable speed will be a little more efficient at lower speeds but the initial price is high and control is more complex. Only you can decide which pump is right for your application and electricity rates may affect your decision here also.

An automation system offers ultimate control with all the benefits I mentioned above and some additional features such as remote control, heater control and lighting control. For me the automation system was a no-brainer especially after considering the cost to run wires all over our backyard when a simple wireless system was all that was needed.

Hope some of this helps!

• el_duderino
    Original Author
    15 years ago

trhought, what automation did you go with?

My reply is not meant to offend anyone. I appreciate every comment and have no problem with bias. Everyone has them. However, the only thing I took issue with was the attacks on those whose biases don't coincide with your own!

• trhought
    15 years ago

el duderino-

No problems! I went with the Jandy PDA P8 system but don't let that influence your decision. From my homework, they were all about the same as far as price and features for an 8 relay system (actually the PDA P8 has an aux relay that I'm using for a 9th relay) but I think others also have this extra relay capability.

For smaller control systems with less relays, you will probably find a larger price disparity, but for the 8 channel and above, the prices were about the same when I was doing my homework 2 years ago.

Several things influenced my buying decision and these are strictly personal preferences so your tastes may be different. I liked the ergonomics of the handheld wireless PDA and the backlight feature looks really cool at night with blues and red lights. The system also seemed more logical than the other systems from a setup perspective. However, what seems logical to me may not seem logical to someone else though. Jandy has good waranty and support for homeowners without any questions asked....just needed to provide them with a serial number and our home address over the phone and that was it. I actually toasted the mainboard on the system by accidentally shorting one of the JVA sockets during the install. Jandy walked me though troubleshooting the problem and sent me a brand new board ($800) within days after we determined it was the board that toasted. In my case, firmware upgrades was not a big factor, since I was only after some very basic switching functions and didn't need all the communication and controls which seem to change protocols on a monthly basis. I think the Pentair Intellitouch would be a good choice if you want to be able to upgrade later and place a lot of value in having the latest technology down the road. The Jandy requires a replacement of the board to upgrade. The Pentair can be upgraded via flashing EEPROM's. Don't remember how the Hayward system handles upgrades.

Anyway.....after establishing a comfort level with warranty and support for the product, the most influential feature for us was the remote which we use and interact with everyday. Also, it is waterproof and floats so that was another important factor for us personally. Your needs obviously may be influenced by other factors but wanted to share my journey.

By the way the system has performed flawlessly for 2 years now and I don't short the JVA sockets anymore!

Hope some of these biased opinions help!

BTW, I just checked out your pool thread. Great backyard and pool design! I'm on the other side of the El Camino Trail if you know what I'm talking about! I didn't know where the El Camino trail went until I was mountain biking in Austin last year and discovered a sign saying El Camino trail just like the one near our house in Louisiana! We also have a negative edge pool and I understand your comments regarding how to circulate and control the pit....the effect is amazing though once it is done.....we love ours!

• el_duderino
    Original Author
    15 years ago

trhought, are you saying you're in austin?

I had the Jandy controls on my previous pool, but no wireless pda of any sort. Always found the navigation a bit kluge but it seemed to function okay.

I also experienced the board upgrade issues on the Jandy.

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

Like Landa, I admit to being very biased on most products in favor of Pentair. My sales were primarily Pentair but I too was able to profit on any product. With more than 20 years in the industry, 26 to be exact, I feel my opinions are very well thought out and any recommendation comes with that experience. Keep in mind, Pentair is the newest product line in all makes. They assumed some great products. They took these products and made them better. They also took some and made then worse. For example, an SMBW filter was way better when it was a Purex product. It is terrible now as far as quality goes. And, I just said that about a Pentair product. I've also been pretty well documented here as to my opposition to the very lousy 4000 series filter.

Pentair leads the way in automation right now. Goldline is still leading in salt cells but sadly all are pretty lousy. Heaters will always belong to Raypak or Jandy but nobody ever wants to pay the money for them. So, you look for value along with proven reliability and the MasterTemp/MaxETherm is it. The Haywards don't cut it. For pumps, WhisperFlo has always been the best and now IntelliFlo is built on that and now the SVRS is out. You are seeing technology continually develop into quality platforms. There is no seasoned tech who will agree that a Jandy Stealth outperforms a WhisperFlo. Field statistics prove otherwise.

Hayward has not adapted any new technology to their pumps to keep up with the new mandate for conservation. They simply added another box that quite frankly is not selling. And, they integrated a pump that is not tested over time that also happens to have many early failures in the first few years. Hayward has been slow to bring to market their VGB drains as well as Pentair so the independents like Aquastar have won the business and are blowing away the big manufacturers.

I say all of this to counter anyone who thinks I may be biased for one brand. I'm biased for quality and biased for telling the real truth of what the purchase will do today and several years from now.

TR, glad your AO is working. They are still junk but when you look at what else there is, there are no choices. Emerson is not selling and not everyone can afford or see the logic in a variable speed.

One last note. Opinions should be based on the support of the company too. Try this one. Some genius at Hayward has decided that they will no longer install the air screen on the internal breather tube in their filters. They figure the screen is contributing to pressure build up and that is why their tanks fail. Sounds logical. But, they are not telling you until you add conditioner to your colored plaster and it blows out or you begin to see dirt blowback. How about them just admitting their polymers stink? This is the quality they purport to have. Cut corners on tech training first and now product. What next?

• el_duderino
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Repair Guy,

I certainly respect your knowledge and opinions. The only thing I took offense with was the name calling in regards to my pool builder, who isn't on here to defend him/herself.

I also didn't think it was fair to make accusations based on their preference for the Aqualogic controls. Again, they have been very upfront with me on the good, bad and ugly of what they put into service. This includes mostly Pentair products as well as some Hayward, depending on the individual needs of the pools they build.

In Central Texas, we deal with some tricky terrain and situations that add some complexity to pool builds. Steep grades is only a part of it. I think adding multiple water features, levels, negative edges, etc. leads to differing needs for different situations.

Again, you are obviously a valued member of this community and your comments are welcomed. However, keep in mind that not EVERY pool builder is an idiot and just pushing whatever benefits their pocketbook, and return the same respect.

Maybe I'm an idiot and being completely snowballed here, but I do value the opinions of my pool builders, which in some cases, does seem to go a bit against the norm and trends.

Thank you everyone for your opinions. FWIW, I have yet to make the final decision on this matter and have yet to really hear anything BAD about the Aqualogic, just that the intellitouch and eztouch are "better".

Thanks

• topfiftybuilder
    15 years ago

The Hayward product line is awesome.... easy to use, cost efficient ... the aqua pod is a great remote.

• topfiftybuilder
    15 years ago

Just to add.... the PS series get "taught" from the base ... if you where to replace or add a remote it learns the settings in a matter of minutes.

• landa_mac
    15 years ago

"I have yet to make the final decision on this matter and have yet to really hear anything BAD about the Aqualogic, just that the intellitouch and eztouch are "better"."

OK, since you asked here is the result of some research I did for a client last year. Please let me know if any of this has changed since then. These systems are constantly changing.

1. AquaLogic load center is 100amp, EasyTouch and IntelliTouch are 125amp

2. AqauLogic has a 2 line display, EasyTouch (EZ) has 4, IntelliTouch (IT) has a 4" digital graphical display.

3. AquaLogic does not have a spa-side switch lock out (for those neighbors that like to jump the fence and use your hot tub when you are out of town). EZ and IT do.

4. EZ & IT have one time use programs, Egg Timer, multiple scheduled programs (12 for EZ, 99 for IT) for all days or 7 days in advance. AL doesn't provide all of the above.

5. EZ & IT allow you to create customed named circuits. AL does not.

6. Air sensor included on EZ & IT. Optional on AquaLogic.

7. EZ & IT use non-volatile memory to retain all information without any power. AL can only store this info for 30 days.

8. EZ & IT use a lithium battery backup (3V) for 5 years coverage. AL does not.

9. EZ & IT use resettable low voltage circuit breakers. AL uses a glass fuse circuit breaker.

10. EZ & IT have 2 speed pump control without using an AUX circuit. AL does not.

11. Support for IntelliFlo VS & VF pumps. AL no.

12. EZ & IT can be remotely controlled and monitored using the advanced ScreenLogic interface. AL no.

13. EZ & IT can control the MagicStream color LED laminars. AL has no such option.

14. IT allows an iS4 or iS10 spa-side remote to control an IntelliFlo VS or VF pump (increment or decrement).

• trhought
    15 years ago

el duderino-

Sorry....my post was a little confusing....I meant we're located at the beginning of the El Camino Trail on the Cane River in Louisiana. I was visiting Austin last year and while mountain biking, seen a sign just like the one in our home town identifying the El Camino Trail.

RG - Your knowledge and opinions have been valuable to this forum. All the Hayward and Jandy bearing failure comments from you and racket are misleading though in my opinion and makes me question any strong comments on this forum related to other products also. In this region of the country, it seems that Jandy pumps and AO Smith motors are doing OK from conversations with my PB and from personal experience so far.

From my experience in HVAC, service guys looking at a couple hundred compressor failures per year for a specific region of the country offer valuable feedback but can sometimes be misled because the problems they are seeing were due to local influences, such as a certain dealer who was not installing the equipment properly, local contruction techniques causing the compressors to be misapplied, or even as simple as local climate and weather. While their observations are true it is easy to start making strong statements about the product quality when there are other factors at play.....just my experiene from looking at both regional based and national warranty data in the HVAC compressor industry. My guess is the pool industry probably isn't much different and has heavy local influences to equipment failures when the same product in another region of the country does just fine.

Because of these regional based influences, homeowners working with local expertise will always make better decisions rather than relying on anectdotal comments on a public board. Those anectdotal comments can help the homeowner ask the right questions when working with local expertise, but bashing local PB's and manufacturer's products on a public board is a big red flag for most readers in my opinion.

• topfiftybuilder
    15 years ago

landa mac
    Not all of what you have listed is accurate... maybe at one time...not anymore... I can install anyones equipment on the pools I sell & build... I choose to use Hayward... If a customer likes a certain product I will gladly install it... I installed 6-7 intelliflo pumps with the aqua pod this year... and I have a PS-8 on my own pool with a Tristar 2 speed... it does not use an aux circuit....

• landa_mac
    15 years ago

topfifty - just curious how you setup the IntelliFlo pumps with the AquaLogic system? How many speeds can you utilize? So #10 on my list is not accurate. Please let me know what is else is not accurate so I can make sure my list is up to date for my clients.

• huskyridor
    15 years ago

quote" I had no idea my "simple" question would bring forth such a heated discussion. "quote

LMAO!!!

Some people in our industry take their preferences a bit overboard. Personally, I liked Poolmans' response second only to my first reply. He pointed out many attributes of the AquaLogic 8. It's a good controller. I placed many many of them into service when they were Goldlines prior to the release of the Jandy PDA systems. I liked them a lot and loved the affordable pricing on them when compared to the Jandy One Touch radio remotes I'd used prior where the installation of a hard wired RS Aqualink system was problematic.
    However, in spite of these attributes, I'll still stand by my initial reply.
    IMO your best bang for the buck will be the EZ8 with an upgrade to a 4x160 pump. If you could handle your Aqualink RS wall mount remote you can easily convert that knowledge over to the EZ Touch wall mount. Most especially if your builder feels that the after the sale support from Hayward is poor when compared to Pentairs.

See ya,
    Kelly

• topfiftybuilder
    15 years ago

If you really want to know... numbers 6-11 are not accurate.. I have to look at my remote but number 5 also gets the gong I believe... if it makes you feel better 12-15 you are 100% correct ... I need to do a little research on 1-5... I think you have some half truths in there... I'll get back you ...

• el_duderino
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Topfiftybuilder,

I would also be interested to see your report on the accuracty of "the list"

Thanks!

• topfiftybuilder
    15 years ago

Here's a cut sheet right off of Haywards site... For what you want to do this is a great remote... as I said most of the "info" the naysayers have provided is not accurate... I install hundreds a season and people love the wireless aqua pod... I take offense to people to know a little about nothing... Yes there are things that it does not do ... but let me ask you if you where going to custom name a circuit what would you name it ?
    http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/products/displayProd.cfm?ProductID=174#one

• landa_mac
    15 years ago

How about BEER PARTY, WATERFALL2, CAVEFALL, LAMINARS, SLIDE, or anything else in your backyard that doesn't fit in Hayward's limited (not even listed in their user manual) predefined list of names? Last I checked, EasyTouch and IntelliTouch had about 100 pre-defined circuit names that could be assigned to any circuit. And if you don't find one that you like, you can create a custom name.

Just curious, have you ever used an EasyTouch system? I'm surprised you have not been pressured by your hundreds of customers towards installing an EasyTouch or IntelliTouch along with an IntelliFlo pump. In the last year, more than 50% of my clients are asking for this combo.

Probably the best thing for anyone to do would be to read Hayward's manual:

http://www.haywardnet.com/products/manuals/pdfs/Manual237.pdf

and then read Pentair's EasyTouch manual:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res008k5/easytouch.pdf

and then decide which system you would want based on the available features. I think it will be pretty obvious which system is more robust (and not just by a little). Remember that I am biased so read the manual and decide for yourself!!!

PS - Yes, one of my clients has a circuit called BEER PARTY on his IntelliTouch system. It is a macro circuit so when he presses one button, it turns on the following:

Cabana lights turn on
    Landscape lights go on
    All 6 laminars go on
    All 5 IntelliBrite pool lights come on
    One IntelliBrite pool light (in the spa) comes on
    Heater fires and heats spa to 99F
    Spa jets turn on
    Air bubbler turns on

• topfiftybuilder
    15 years ago

I'm not trying to win an internet argument... I respectfully answered the question that was asked... As I have said I install mostly Hayward. With the Aqua Pod I can group just like you can... My Spa "Party" (1 button) turns on the blower the light and the heater. I can group any feature on my pool or time them separetly as I do... Great product , wireless, waterproof, and can go up to 16 functions...

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

The funniest thing I ever heard on the ability of an IntelliTouch was at one of the tech classes. Granted, this is an extreme but it does give an idea of the ability of this product and we know there are many tech types here who would love it.

He told a story of his wife being in one state while he was in another teaching a class. She called him and said she heard a noise in the yard. He then said he had the ability to dial his IntelliTouch through his PDA, turn on the yard lights and then a camera in trhe yard. Once he verified tha tthe gate was compromised, he could then his a button and open a gate that would release the dobermans. Very funny and probably not true, but it does give the picture of the IntelliTouch ability.

• poolguynj
    15 years ago

Hmm, black fella from N.C. ?

• el_duderino
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought I would just respond with the decision I made (along with my pool builders). I decided to trust them, and as a result we're moving forward with the Hayward controls (of Pentair equipment). I certainly appreciate most of the constructive comments on here, but have to admit it's a challenge to shuffle through all the biased posts to get some truth.

To those calling my pool builder a "knucklehead", I would be curious to know what awards your company has won and what qualifies you to make such degrading comments.

As it turns out, the person responsible for the design on the Pentair controllers is requesting a meeting with my pool builders to determine why they continue to use Goldline/Hayward automation, despite moving over to almost all other Pentair equipment.

I'm sure if said pool builder was the knucklehead that posters accused him/her of being, Pentair would not care. As it stands, they do and I give them kudos for wanting to understand why an international award winning pool company doesn't use their product.

I'm really talking more about the EasyTouch vs. the Aqualogic here, not the Intellitouch. My pool builders use the Inteli a lot, but when price is a concern (as in my build), the choice is really between EZ and Aqualogic, and based on many conversations I've had with them, they really don't compare given certain complex pool needs.

For the Pentair fanboys on here, hopefully this meeting will lead to some upgrades in the Easytouch and this argument will be moot in the future.

• ihe007_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Ok I know this thread is old... but would like an update and make a few comments

I have Jandy RS Aqualink, and have lost several valve control devices, went open.

I also had to replace the Hayward pump motor bearing, front only, at maybe 3-4 yrs and replacement it still working fine at 6 -7 yrs....Yes I think its a AO Smith motor. So was this just a batch of bad bearings.

So I am looking at replacement controlers.