SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

happy happy joy joy :o) (found an induction cooker)

vacuumfreak
13 years ago

I just got in from JC Pennys, and they had an induction cooker. You all inspired me to try one based on your experiences with them. I really wanted to buy one in a real store because I don't like buying things online that I don't know if I will like. I searched at Wal-mart and Target, but neither had them. I went to JC Pennys, and after finding the housewares department (no easy task, that store is a maze), I looked all over for an induction cooker. I found one, but there were none left, just the display model. It was marked at 159, which was more than I wanted to pay... I wanted to keep it around 100 dollars if at all possible. I walked around the corner and found a very cute Spanish boy unpacking boxes. I told him I was looking at something, but there didn't appear to be any left. He got the tag off the display and took it to the back... he was gone so long, I had just turned and started toward the door for Belk instead when he came back up and said there weren't anymore. I asked about the floor model. It was marked with two prices... 159 and 99... I asked him which one he was going to charge me and he said I would get an even better price for buying the floor model. I got to the register and it rang up at 79.99, and I got another 10 percent off because of it being the floor model. I was shocked and happy! It took this poor kid about 20 minutes to pack the floor model up back in the box and get it to close! I wanted to tell him to forget it and just throw it in the bag, but it was kinda fun to watch him struggle... we were both laughing! Finally, a girl associate came over to help... she had it back in the box and sealed with two seconds, I kid you not! I always have trouble packing things back up... I knew what the poor guy was going through when he was trying so hard to box the cooker, this girl could give lessons!

Anyway, I decided to try it out on a quick batch of spaghetti when I got it home.

The manual says not to use it too close to an open gas flame. I can't imagine would would happen if I didn't heed that advice, but do you think that where it is on the counter is too close to my range to use the range at the same time? I wanted to use it on top of the portable dishwasher, but the cord isn't long enough. The cord is insanely short. The manual also says not to use it near any metal objects, so I moved the toaster oven to the stove top while I played with this. Was that really necessary? What could happen if I left the toaster oven there and used this thing right in front of it? I can imagine the cooker magnetically drawing the toaster oven to itself with a loud bang causing disaster and mess beyond comprehension.

I love the digital dial.... to me the ones with push buttons just aren't interactive enough... a stove should have knobs period! The change in temperature is immediate. I had the noodles at a full rolling boil, turned it down to the lowest setting and the boil stopped within half a second... and returned as instantly when I returned the device back up to its max setting of 1300 watts. I was a little concerned about it not being 1800 watts, but I think an 1800 watt one would trip my circuits. I know the microwave does when I use it on convection (only 3 times, then it "gets the idea" and works fine for the rest of the time! Crazy, I know). It has a timer which should be useful. It's not heavy, it's super easy to clean, and seems to have plenty of power. I'm impressed and excited. I did have to buy a few new pans to work with this, and the sad part about that is the only ones a magnet would stick to were the cheap ones. I will have to pick up a good piece here and there one at a time when I see them. Most of my existing cookware was non-stick and non-magnetic.

I also picked up one of those reversible grill/griddle things. I got it at Target and it was 30 bucks. They had a much heavier one there for 10 dollars more, but it was too heavy to try to clean and to be lifting out of the cabinet. I'm sure it would have heated more evenly, however. The brand I got was Nordic Ware. I've only had one product from them before... it was a Bundt pan and when I tried to flex it to remove a stuck carrot cake, it cracked in half. Hopefully this will be better. I burned the garlic toast because I only turned off the front burner and forgot all about the back burn until I smelled burning. This thing covers up the flame so it's not easy to see when it's on or off or how high it is. It doesn't fit in the dishwasher. One thing that really annoys me is that it must be used on two burners on the same side of the stove.... I wanted to use it on the two front burners, but it isn't long enough for that. I don't know of they make any that are. At least it's flat and will store easily.

So, I'm happy with both purchases, and want to thank everyone who helped me with my questions!

Sorry the pictures are so big... I'm too tired to reduce them!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz