SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Happy Happy!

User
10 years ago

Today I almost BUSTED LOOSE! I am so happy that it is HOSTA TIME DOWN SOUTH.....

I was really busy untipping pots and ooohhing and aaahhing at the strong abundant pips poking noses up to the sky. Of course it will take a day or so before they right themselves since the pots are straight up and no longer tipped. And I'm sowing Sluggo Plus throughout the garden space before I refresh the mulch with another 4 inch layer, and rearrange the babies in diagonal rows down the 100 foot long garden space devoted to hosta and whatever else provides shade for them.

This is the optimum time of year for hosta in zone 9a. Zilis says that in six weeks they will reach their full growth for the season, and I want to give them the benefit of every day. It is more exciting this year than ever before. I know some may not come back this year, there seems to be a lot of squirrel damage, and I am tender righting the pots; frequently the labels are laying on the ground nearby. I must be diligent returning each tag where it belongs. My memory is coming back by the minute, of what label goes with which pot.

This is going to be a great hosta growing year. It is heart lifting, rejuvenating, absolute bliss. I look forward to twilights spent in the hosta garden as shadows deepen and things buzz unseen around me, the LED lights blink on one by one. The noise of traffic, barking dogs, neighbor voices fall away, and I am alone in my wonderland that should not be here in zone 9a, but it is, and there is absolute magic in the stillness.

Shhhhh. Feel the joy.

Comments (21)