SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wncang

Sauce to compliment a steak

13 years ago

Happy Friday to you. What is your favorite recipe for a sauce or gravy to accompany a steak? I think a wonderful medium rare grilled steak is delicious on its own, but I enjoy experimenting with new recipes. I've prepared mushroom red wine gravy and horseradish sauce for steaks, and thought they were good. Anything with a cream base? How about a marsala sauce? People on this forum certainly enjoy cooking, and you are a great source of information. Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments (18)

• 13 years ago

Bernaise works well for me!

Here is a link that might be useful: bernaise recipe

• 13 years ago

I like green peppercorn and chimichurri sauces with steaks.

• Related Discussions

Steak it is for dinner

Q

Comments (8)
    Wow, does that ever sound good...anything tex-mex, hispanic, anywhere/anytime and I'm first in line with my fork :) Sadly, not tonight, we're probably having a quick sandwich from the chicken I roasted...16 yr old nephews first varsity home football game where he's starting. My neighbor asked last night if I liked high school football - my answer was, I like Jeff ;)
    ...See More

chile butter steak

Q

Comments (3)
    hehehe.. I guess thats what happens with globs of chile when they hit 550F no exact proportions. generally a 1:2 proportion of butter to hot sauce.
    ...See More

Calphalon One and recipe for rosemary crusted NY steak

Q

Comments (2)
    Butch, First find a place in your refrigerator, with a thermometer, that maintains a 34 to 88 degrees temperature and can accomodate the strip. If you buy your strips vacuum packed remove the plastic and thoroughly dry the strip with paper towels. Lay down several layers of paper towels where you plan to age the strip. Put a rack over the paper towels and place the NY strip on the rack. You want air to circulate around the meat so don't clutter the area around the meat. Turn the strip over twice a day for 10 days. At this point the meat is about as tender as it will get, even with further aging. I think 28 days is the point where, if you have any left, you might want to freeze it. Aging past 10 days does tenderize a little more and it will concentrate the flavor through evaporation but the gain is small and you will lose more meat because you will have to trim more.
    ...See More

Heinz 57 or A-1 steak sauce

Q

Comments (30)
    Sometimes I'm in the mood for one, sometimes the other. What I really prefer is mine grilled with Everglade Seasoning. Love that stuff! That's really funny Linda! When my sister was little, back when Lyndon B Johnson was president, for some reason she called Worcestershire sauce LBJ. To this day we still refer to it as the LBJ sauce. :)
    ...See More
  • 13 years ago

I love Steak Diane. I was gifted with some wonderful fillets for Christmas so it's on the menu very soon.

MQ's Steak Diane for Two
    Mark Bittman, New York Times

2 6-ounce beef fillets, cut from the tenderloin (filet mignon), preferably not too lean
    Salt and pepper
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon minced shallot or onion
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, or to taste (I added 1/2 t. extra because dh likes it)
    1/2 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
    Lemon juice to taste, optional
    Chopped fresh chives or parsley leaves for garnish.

1. Flatten fillets a bit with the palm of your hand, the back of a skillet or a small mallet; they should be about 1 inch thick. Sprinkle with salt and a lot of pepper. In small skillet, preferably one just large enough to hold fillets, combine oil and tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat. When butter foam melts, sear steaks on both sides, just until browned, no more than 2 minutes a side. Remove to platter.
    2. Wipe pan clean with towel; add remaining butter over medium heat, with shallot or onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in mustard, Worcestershire and cream. Add some salt and a fair amount of pepper. Stir once or twice, then taste and adjust seasoning.
    3. Keeping mixture at a steady simmer, return meat and accumulated juices to pan. Cook, turning two or three times, until meat is done to your liking, just 1 or 2 minutes a side for medium-rare. Remove to a plate, and add lemon juice, if using, salt and pepper to the sauce as needed. Spoon sauce over meat, garnish with chives or parsley, and serve.

David

• 13 years ago

My sister turned me onto this, who got it from her daughter (my niece).

Black Jewel Steak Marinade

1/2 cup Soy Sauce
    1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
    1/4 cup Ketchup
    1 Garlic Clove, Minced
    2/3 cup Minced Onion
    1 t. Dry Mustard
    1/2 t. Pepper
    1 cup Light Olive Oil

Mix fist seven ingredients and then slowly add oil with a whisk.

• 13 years ago

I just like good beef, plain, and don't think it needs any help except some salt and pepper, but Elery made this red wine sauce and his family loved it:

Red Wine Sauce for Steak

6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
    1 onion, thinly sliced
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    2 1/2 cups dry red wine

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt. Add the garlic and oregano and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in the wine. Simmer until the sauce reduces by half, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat. Strain the sauce into a small bowl, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard the solids in the strainer and return the sauce to the saucepan and bring back to a slow simmer. Cut the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter into small 1/2-inch chunks and whisk in the sauce a little at a time. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper.

His daughter also likes this one:

Blue Cheese Butter

1 stick butter, softened
    1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
    1/4 cup chopped chives
    1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Combine the softened butter, blue cheese, chives and parsley in a medium-size mixing bowl. Drop the butter mixture out onto a piece of wax or parchment paper, shape it into a log and roll up the paper to secure it. Refrigerate the butter to firm it up.

To serve, slice butter into rounds and top hot steak with two (or three if you're generous!) slices and let them melt onto the hot steak.
    Welcome to the cooking forum!

Annie

• 13 years ago

I vote for b�arnaise too!

• 13 years ago

I love the sauce David posted with the Steak Diane.

Here is another I like.

Green Peppercorn Sauce

1 Tbl butter
    2 Tbl shallot, finely chopped
    1/4 Lb mushrooms, finely chopped
    2 Tbl parsley, minced
    1 Tsp green peppercorns, rinsed
    -and, Drained
    Tabasco sauce
    2 Tbl brandy
    1 Cup whipping cream

Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the shallot and saute over medium heat until soft. Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes,stirring frequently. Add the parsley, peppercorns, and 2 to 3 drops of Tabasco sauce.

Warm the brandy and ignite it. Pour the brandy into the mushroom mixture and stir until the flames subside. Add the cream. Boil the sauce, stirring constantly, until it thickens. Add salt to taste.

• 13 years ago

Gosh, that blue cheese butter sounds good. They all sound good. I might try a bernaise sauce. Never made one so it will be a first. Thanks for all your ideas.

• 13 years ago

I love the Green Peppercorn sauce that Sharon posted. The only thing I do different is I use dried green peppercorns. I don't like the flavour of brined peppercorns.

• 13 years ago

I have to agree with annie1992 on this one.
    A good steak, perfectly cooked (rare),
    Needs nothing but a bit of salt & pepper.

But here is a recipe I found here on the CF
    Quite a long time ago.

Sorry, I don't know who originally posted it,
    I didn't keep that info.

Baked Onions

For each medium onion:

1 Tablespoon worchestershire sauce
    1 Tablespoon soy sauce (low sodium works fine)
    1 Tablespoon butter
    Tony Cachere's to taste
    (or use half of a bouillion cube
    in place of the worchestershire & soy sauces)

Peel the onion. Cut off the top. Cut the root end off leaving enough to keep the onion intact. Vertically slice the onion into 8 wedges, but do not slice all the way through. Place onion in an individual ovenproof dish or on large square of foil.

Pour the worchestershire sauce and soy sauce over the top of the onion. Lay the piece of butter on the top of the onion. Sprinkle with Tony Cachere's to taste.

Cover dish with foil or wrap onion tightly in foil. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

Fabulous with steaks...and don't forget to dip your steak in the juice!

Note: I usually do them in the microwave,
    Using my microwave's "Fresh Vegetable" setting.
    They would probably do well wrapped in foil,
    and cooked on a grill, too.

Rusty

• 13 years ago

My favorite sauces have been mentioned, Bernaise, Chimmichurri and any form of blue cheese butter are all among the things I love. However, if I could recommend a side for your steak, it would be the same one I make with Standing Rib.

Brandied Steakside Mushrooms

Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
    Yield: 4 to 6 people
    3 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced lengthwise
    8 tablespoons butter
    Seasoned salt Montreal Steak Seasoning
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup brandy

In a large skillet, saute the sliced mushrooms in the butter until brown. Sprinkle liberally with seasoning salt. Add Worcestershire sauce and simmer until almost all sauce is absorbed by the mushrooms. Add the brandy and continue to simmer until mushrooms are tender.
    Serve with steak or roast beef.

• 13 years ago

I tried the Brandied Mushrooms when Alexa posted it before.

Such a simple recipe and it was outstanding! I've made it twice since without any meat and I love it.

• 13 years ago

Rusty, the baked onion sound scrumptious. I have baked whole onions (no cutting) in the microwave and topped with butter and Calander's Greek seasoning. I have a microwave onion baker I use.

There are several kinds of Tony Chachere seasoning. Which one do you use, please. I want to try your recipe.

• 13 years ago

Oh I know a good steak needs nothing but some salt and pepper, but look at that beautiful photo posted by ann_t. It would be hard to find any fault with that! I'm definitely going with the braidied steakside mushrooms. Not sure about the sauce yet, because they all sound good.

• 13 years ago

Walnutcreek, it's Tony Cachere's "Original Creole Seasoning"

Rusty

• 13 years ago

Thanks a million, Rusty. I am adding that to my grocery list.

• 13 years ago

Another vote for the baked onions here. I think it was Cloudy Christine that posted it about two summers ago.

Does anyone have the blender bernaise recipe?

• 13 years ago

Here's how I have been making it for decades.

Blender Bernaise

Heat one stick of butter until bubbling - I do this in the microwave.

Combine in a small saucepan, or in glass measure for the microwave and reduce until almost all liquid is gone:

1Tablespoon white wine
    1 1/2 t tarragon vinegar (or white vinegar)
    1 t chopped fresh tarragon or 1/2 t dried
    1 t chopped shallots
    1/8 t black pepper

Put in blender container and blend briefly.
    2 egg yolks - preferably at room temperature
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    Pinch of cayenne

Add the vinegar, tarragon, shallot mix and blend for a few seconds.

With motor running, add the very hot and bubbling butter in a thin stream.

This makes about 3/4 cup.

If it isn't thick enough you can cook in a small double boiler or a small bowl over simmering water to thicken - whisk constantly.

Lee