SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amysrq

I got burned on eBay (again) too. WWYD?

amysrq
14 years ago

I ordered an 18" Pottery Barn bedskirt off eBay for $50. I think it's my first purchase since the abysmal experience I had last year buying dishes from an unscrupulous witch. The bedskirt was advertised as 18", but when I put it on the bed, it was 14". I am assuming it was just an honest mistake.

Here's the correspondence:

Hi there. I just ironed the bedskirt I bought from you so that I could put it on the bed. It is a 14" drop, not 18". Major difference! We need to talk about this. Thanks, Amy

Sorry about that. I can give you a $10 refund if you like. Cathy

Well, a 10 dollar refund doesn't really solve my problem. I need you to take the bedskirt back, refund my money and pay my return shipping. I understand this was just an accident, but I don't see why I should be out 39 bucks and still have a bedskirt that I can't use.

Sorry about the problem, but this is not a big value transaction, it is not worth sendng it back and forth. I will offer to refund you $25. Please accept this. Cathy

Last year, I spent several weeks haggling with the seller of the dishes, hours on the phone with PayPal and eBay buyer protection people and it really went bad. I get a burr under my saddle when people do things that are wrong and refuse to take responsibility. The value of the transaction shouldn't be a factor unless it's a couple bucks. I admit, it becomes more than just about the money...it's a morality play to me. ;-)

I did nothing wrong in this transaction and I don't see why I should have to take a hit of $25 and then just donate the bedskirt to Goodwill or try to sell it myself. The bedskirt is not in perfect condition (though the small issue was not enough for me to complain about) so I worry a bit about running into problems with a buyer on eBay. And besides, I just don't love selling stuff on eBay. I don't even want to think about Craigslist.

I prefer not to escalate this but I think the seller should just suck up and take responsibility for her mistake. What do you think I should do next?

Comments (29)