SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mollymcb_gw

Damage to brand new hardwoods--who's to blame?!

mollymcb
16 years ago

I am absolutely livid. We had pre-finished hardwood installed about two weeks ago in the house we are building. Since then, the workers have been working on it uncovered--and I mean not just walking on it, but sawing trim on it, etc. I said something to our builder about the need to cover and protect the floors and he dismissed it and said there are "9 coats of polyurethane" on them, so there was no need to cover them. Well, last night, I noticed about 8 or more CHIPS and cracks in the wood in various locations. The two worst ones are about 1 1/2" long and about 1/8" wide--on the edge of the wood near the seam. You can see the raw wood and it is so sharp in spots that it could put a splinter in your foot. I mentioned it to our builder today, and he had the gall to say that "I" had probably done that wearing HIGH HEELS in the house!!! He says the mfr. expressly warns that high heels are never to be worn on the floor for fear of damaging. Now, let me tell you, it's not like I wear "spikes" or anything; we're talking 2 1/2" heels that I wear with my suits to work. And when I have walked on it, I've done so gingerly, putting the weight of my foot on the ball of my foot, just b/c the builder said something to me about it before.

Has anyone here ever heard such a thing? As long as we live in the house, when I have people over, am I going to have to ask ladies to remove their high heels? This seems the most ridiculous thing I 've ever heard, but then again, our builder is hothing but a liar and nothing is ever his fault. I am going to contact the mfr and see if this is true but in the meantime, I wanted to get some feedback here, if possible. Thanks!

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH