SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginnyjj9b

Computer won't turn on half of the time

ginjj
13 years ago

For more than a month my desktop computer has not booted up reliably. It almost never boots up the first time I turn it on, but does boot up the second time. Sometimes I hit F8 and "last known good setting."

Sometimes I get nothing on the monitor; only a solid black screen from the get-go, other times I get the blue screen or the black screen saying there has been an error. I've recently been told to watch the hard drive light rather than the monitor. The HD light goes on, then goes off when this occurs.

I have had my computer man (who I feel is excellent) look at my computer in his shop a couple of times. We've talked on the phone and he uses "Crossloop" to remotely control my computer. He had me replace the power strip, the power cord, try a different keyboard, a different mouse, try a different wall outlet, unplug everything and one by one plug things back in. None of those changes indicated a problem.

When it's in his shop it boots up without a problem. I bring it home the problem remains. He is frustrated by the fact he can't see a problem at his shop. He is willing to come to my house; we just haven't done that yet.

I just read about possible causes for this problem and don't think he has tried everything; we haven't changed out the power supply, he hasn't had me to listen for the "beeps" which I will next time I boot it up.

What are your thoughts on getting this resolved? I am getting frustrated and my computer guy is as well. (My computer guy has lots of work and is in the middle of family health problems also.) I could take it to the man that built the computer for me and maybe he could find the problem more quickly.

Thank you!!

Ginny

Computer brand -built by local shop

Intel Pentium R 4 CPU 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz 1.00 GB RAM

XP (SP3) and I download bi-weekly updates

Firefox Browser

Avast; get updates daily

No recently installed or uninstalled programs

I try to do the suggested maintenance on my computer but haven't done it for a couple of months.

Comments (19)