SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamelah_gw

I am mad as H_ll!!!!!

pamelah
13 years ago

OK, GW'ers.. this is an rant of the highest order!

As per previous posts, we hired a GC who has built several beautifully appointed luxury homes in our area. Our deal with him is cost + 15%. We are business owners. Our business is building complex metal equipment exactly to print on low tolerance specs. I am throwing this info in because that's our mindset - you get a set of precision prints and you build it exactly to print.

Last week the cabinet folks came out for field measurement. A problem arose in my side of the master bath. I have 2 cabinets separated by a tub deck. The problem was the as built deck and wall detail made each cabinet 6" more narrow. I could see that the issue arose because the builder built the deck and trim detail differently than depicted on the print. He tried to convince me that his interpretation was necessary to "balance" the room.

So, I stewed about the problem over the weekend, then called the architect on Monday. Thankfully, he came right away for a site inspection. While on site advising the builder how to fix the problem (build it the way it was drawn), the architect inspected the interior framing. He was not happy with the metal studs and told me I was going to have to do a ton of interior bracing. The builder was standing there with a look on his face that was either sheepish, defensive, or some other emotion that I could not identify.

I asked my brother (the structural engineer) to stop by the site on Tuesday. He walked in, took hold of the same darned metal stud that had sent the architect into a fit, and said, "you are going to have to do a lot of bracing."

I reported all of the above to my husband. He went to the site with a micrometer last night and discovered that 25 guage studs were used. I pulled the drawings, found the framing specs, and saw that 20 guage studs and 5/8" drywall were spec'd. For those of you (like me previously) who don't know, 25 guage metal is almost 1/2 as thick as 20 guage. While DH was busy writing an email about the issue to the builder I went through our bids and located the framing and drywall bid. THE BID WAS FOR 25 GUAGE STUDS AND 1/2" DRYWALL.

I am beyond mad. I am nearly crazy with anger that we are paying this GC to build to print and an element as important as the interior walls has been screwed up. PLUS- I would not have known about this if I had not become upset with loss of dimension in the bathroom cabinets.

DH is tasked with dealing with the GC on this, but I am adamant that our cost to correct this problem not exceed the cost we would have incurred if the GC had properly bid the work in the firt place.

So- does anyone have an idea of pricing differential between 20 guage and 25 guage studs? Also, can you quate a difference between 1/2" drywall and 5/8"?

Comments (14)