SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annabananaflzone9b

Am I Buddleia Barking Mad?

I have been trying to grow Buddleia here in the NW of the Tampa Bay area, FL for 9 years. Over those years I've planted 8 bushes (all purchased in 1-3 gal pots). Only one has lived for multiple years and has really come on in the last 2 years since it got shade half day or the retaining wall was moved closer to the plant.

So, thinking I had learned something from this plant, I planted side by side 2 Buddleia Hot Raspberry in April of this year. They get light shade mid-day from a bottle brush tree. I removed all the sand and planted them in purchased soil (Miracle Gro Raised Bed Soil).

They looked like this on July 3.

They look like this now, Aug 1.

No matter how much I water, they perk up briefly and then wilt. So thinking the roots might be sitting in water, I dug them up.

The dirt was dry at the time, it had not rained in a couple of days. Some of the roots looked infected, they looked sort of strappy, flat but wide, not like the other roots on the plant. I was concerned it might be nematodes or maybe rot from water that was possibly there earlier.

So I did this.

I put cinder block and rock in the hole. This raised the plants about 8-10" higher than the bed and if concrete does deter nematodes maybe the cinder block will help. I'm assuming it's the lime in concrete that might make this happen. Of course , it could just be an "ole wives tale".

I covered the cinder blocks with a little soil and then re-placed the plants. I mounded dirt around the plants, leaving the root crown at the same exposure in the soil and watered everything in. I applied 4 gallons of a liquid root promoter mixture.

Have I lost my mind? Does anyone grow Buddleia well in zone 9, if so please tell me how you do it?

I really enjoy raising butterflies and there is no other plant that butterflies love as much as buddleia! I think Buddleia is like Butterfly Crack. :)

I want to have blooming Buddleia in my yard for the butterflies. As you can see, I'll try just about anything to make that happen.

Anna

Comments (46)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996