SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

Narcissistic Personality Disorder

claire_de_luna
14 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I just found out that this is what my mother has. I am relieved to realize this behavior is actually a disorder (although I had a clue) and can finally say, ''OH. So THAT'S it.'' It's been very helpful to me to learn more about this and realize that none of it is my fault, nor am I alone.

Let's just say my mother was a major factor in my decision not to have kids. Fear of becoming her was a major motivation.

I always naively held out hope that things could be different, however the time has come to accept the fact that change isn't going to happen. Narcissists can be very charming when they choose, luring you into believing ''otherwise''; however, a lifetime of experience tells the true story. I suppose there is freedom in acceptance.

If you've had some experience with this, how do you best deal with that person, while protecting yourself at the same time? Currently, I am screening every phone call, as I've come to expect major drama at any moment. The last conversation 10 months ago, caused me to buy talking phones for every room in my house, so I would never pick up again, without knowing who was on the other end.

My mantra, repeated daily is: I am not available to hear your complaints, criticisms or drama. I recently shortened it to: I am not available. The entire sentence is helpful though in reminding me why I'm not!

I suspect we've all had some contact with narcissistic personalities, as it seems to be more and more common these days. What do you do?

Here is a link that might be useful: Narcissistic Traits

Comments (112)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor