SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_6333

Adult child marriage problems

joyce_6333
15 years ago

Our oldest son (41)went through a nasty divorce several years ago. He is a professional, quiet, mild mannered, nice looking, and very generous. He has an 8 yr old daughter he has finally obtained half custody of. His first wife took him to the cleaners in a big way (she is now gay), and he has been cautious about getting involved since.

A year ago he introduced us to a woman that my DH and I both liked immediately. Every time we were together, I enjoyed being with her, and the two of them seemed so well suited. They married two months ago. The day after the wedding everything changed. She has a 16 yr old daughter who refuses to go to school (her mother allows it!), she smokes, does drugs, has many piercings, dresses "goth", and is terribly rude to everyone, except her mother. Her mothers says "she's just being a teenager". She has told everyone "I don't want a Dad, and he can't tell me what to do". Recently our son told us he felt the daughter was trying to break them up. She tells outrageous lies, takes the car without permission (doesn't have a license), uses foul language in front of our granddaughter, rarely bathes, and spends her time sleeping and texting. Everytime he tries to talk to her about any of this, she and her mother both explode and scream obscenities at him! Unfortunately, her mother believes everything she says. I've personally witnessed and been the subject of this child's lies. I'm totally shocked by the stories she comes up with. And now his new wife wants him out of the house (it was his house when they married), and is threatening to call the police and tell them he has abused her daughter.

I'm absolutely horrified at the turn of events in this relationship. And now it looks like she is going to get everything he has worked for after only two months of marriage.

I'm not sure how to advise him, except to "get a lawyer". I'm heartbroken for him. He has been through so much, and spent so much of the last years rebuilding his life, for himself and our granddaughter.

I'm sure there are other mothers out there who have watched their children go through these miserable times. Thanks for listening to mine.

Comments (18)

Sponsored