SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deew_gw

Big problem loading sites

deew
14 years ago

I recently moved and had my computer shutdown for about three weeks. I had to have a new phone line put in, and when I hooked my computer back up and turned it on, I can't get anywhere on the internet. It's a miracle I made it to this site. I keep getting a Waiting for on the Status bar and the site never loads. Once in a while I can get to a site, but I can't get beyond the home page. When I click on a link, I get the Waiting for again. I had managed to update Firefox to 3.6.2 and thought that might be the problem, but the same thing happens when I try with IE.

It took forever, but I finally got Malwarebytes updated and ran a full scan. Nothing malicious was found..

Can it be the phone line, since both browsers are havng the same problem? I can't even get the Windows security updates that came in while my computer was down.

It's all very frustrating, so any help would be appreciated.

Dee

Win XP SP2

Comments (47)

• zep516
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tell us how it's connected to the Internet, dial up or DSL Modem.

I would also try and do a Disk Clean up in Windows, that is click start, click All Programs, click Accessories, Click System Tools, look for disk clean up and run it. Then reboot.

• deew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, zep. I have a DSL connection. I'll do a cleanup and see if I can post back.

• Related Discussions

Cultivars of Magnolia grandiflora and snow load problems.

Q

Comments (2)
    I only have little gems. This year we've had up to 5 inches of snow and no damage. But a few years ago, we had an ice storm and there was some damage (not as bad as the pine trees, but bad). I think ice is worse. Of course we didn't have that much snow and it was pretty much gone the next day.
    ...See More

Cultivars of Magnolia grandiflora and snow load problems.

Q

Comments (1)
    I have only Little Gem and the non-cultivar standard M.grandiflora. Neither had damage of any type this winter.
    ...See More

This site- Why? (slow loading)

Q

Comments (3)
    I have AOL and GW forums are slow as molassess again got here via Explorer and it is zipping along. Every once in a while things slow down
    ...See More

Yahoo Web site will no longer load

Q

Comments (20)
    We dilly dallied and I didn't get to hook it up. But my friend did say that she got some kind of e-mail about problems with Yahoo and Verizon as an ISP. She said she didn't pay much attention to it and deleted it because they don't have Yahoo e-mail. But they have Verizon and that is also my wireless ISP at home. Hmmm. I don't know if I will be able to test it out soon. I'm in the middle of moving and haven't been able to get to a place with another connection. I know I should have done it last night but the timing was very short. Seems to be better today. It loads, albeit slowly and slower than other sites. Just very weird because I am online a lot searching for various things and loading all kinds of Web sites and don't have a problem other than Yahoo. But so far it's OK because no one wanted the quilting fabrics I posted on Freecycle anyway, at least so far!
    ...See More
  • zep516
    14 years ago

Yeah do a clean up, run Ccleaner too if you have it. Clean out all temp internet files etc.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

I'd flush the dns cache too since you moved and likely have a different provider.
    Click Start--->Run and type in cmd and click OK.
    Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

There is a space between the g and the /

HTH
    Pam

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

deew-
    One of the first things you should be doing is talking to your DSL provider. I've had a couple of problems with my DSL connection over the years and twice the problem was a partial break in the line. They should be able to do a line check for you over the phone as a first step to see if there are any problems there. If the line is good, then they should be able to talk you through some other technical steps that could fix it. Good luck.

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

I thought I was reading my post! Same thing and I posted last week. I have 4 computers and the desktop will not load. Same problem as yours. All are running wireless but the desktop is the problem. I tried all the suggestions with no improvement.

I'm waiting to see if you find the cure! Strangely, I just moved to a new place this month. Must have something to do with moving.

Jane

• deew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I finally made it back here.

Nothing worked. I called my DSL provider. They checked from their end and then sent a serviceman, thinking my modem might be going bad. He hooked his computer to my modem, and it worked fine. The phone line checked out okay, as well.

We couldn't get Firefox to load, so after he left, I uninstalled it, rebooted into Safe Mode and installed the same version 3.6 (without the updates) that I still had in my files. The problem still exists.

This is the only computer I have, and I virtually have no internet. What do I do next?

Dee

• mikie_gw
    14 years ago

I might try searching for the info and maybe rebuild the winsock with the netsh command.

Here's one of microsofts fix-it tools..

Here is a link that might be useful: Winsock Windows Server 2003, XP, Vista

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

Have you tried just doing a simple system restore to a time prior to your having the problem and see if that fixes it? if you had settings that got changed or something corrupted it might fix it. I would try that first thing to see what happens. It is so simple to do and if it does not help you can always reverse it and nothing is lost in the process. Choose a date to restore it to before you had any problems even if it is back to before you moved.
    System Restore

Has anyone by any chance used any type of registry cleaner on that computer?

• deew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I made it back yet again after over an hour of trying. Thanks for all the suggestions.

mikie, I haven't been able to load the website you provided, but I'll keep trying.

raven, I forgot to mention in my original post that System Restore was the first thing I tried. After it rebooted, I got the message that my computer couldn't be restored using that restore point and that no changes had been made to my computer. I chose a different restore point and tried again with the same result. A third try with a third restore point gave me the same message. I don't know what's up with that, either.

I'm the only one that's ever used this computer, and I've never installed a registry cleaner. To be honest, messing with the registry scares me, so I've always thought I'm better off leaving it alone.

I'm stumped and very unhappy, though I am pleased to see so many great people trying to help - as usual.

Dee

• zep516
    14 years ago

What firewall is used? Disable it for a while. In mikies' link. Restart the computer keep hitting the F8 key until you reach the advanced options menu from the list presented use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode/With networking. Now try to connect to his site and any others that you can't. Don't go surfing around in this mode as no Anti Virus will be running, just see if this site, any Microsoft sites, www.Google.com will load better. This will tell us if a third party software is causing an issue.

What Anti Virus and firewall is installed?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

the not being able to use a restore point is making this sound very much like an infection, there were some pretty bad ones a while back that did that, made all restore points non-usable.

update and run malwarebytes then update and run superantispyware scan do both in full mode
    SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

also wondering about firewall blocking, if doing what zep recommended makes a difference we may be able to narrow it down.

Tell us exactly what you have on the pc as much as you can so we can have more educated suggestions.
    Good to hear no registry cleaners have been used that rules that out.

on your firefox that you are trying to use do you have any addons at all on it? if so lets use your firefox safe mode to do that go to start> mozilla> firefox safemode.

go here and lets try to run some diagnostic tests also
    Broadband Tests and Tools
    try and run the speed test; tweak test; line quality test; doctor ping let us know your results please

we might have you try another browser like chrome which apparently you have never installed so we would have a clean browser with no profile etc that could be corrupted, not thinking it is the browser though.

• grandms
    14 years ago

My gut feeling is that Mikie is on the right track. I had the same problem back when my first Windows 98 computer was almost new, caused by something AdAware deleted. It happened to be a Winsock setting, and I had to edit the registry (under the tutelage of a person who is no longer with this forum). That fixed my problem. Just a wild guess, but the problem sounds identical. If you can manage to get to the page Mikie posted and print it out, there are some things there that you can try.

• deew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had already updated and run a full scan with Malwarebytes, and it found nothing. I just updated and ran a complete scan with SUPERAntiSpyware. It found one Adware Tracking Cookie, which I got rid of.

I finally got to mikie's Winsock site and followed the method 2 instructions. There were no name changes in the Protocol sections. However, there were sixteen sections instead of ten. From what I could gather, that doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. Since there was no name changes, I didn't run the Fix It feature at the site. All of that is so far over my head, I don't know if I should have done it anyway or not. I didn't want to risk wiping out something vital I need.

I have AVG Anti-virus, which I keep up-to-date, and Zone Alarm firewall.

raven, I haven't made it to the Broadband Tests and Tools site yet. It won't load. I'll keep trying.

I have a number of add-ons to Firefox, but nothing new. Do you need me to list them all?

Dee

• elks
    14 years ago

Dump AVG and install Avast. I spent 8 or 9 hours, and $50, on the same problem 2 weeks ago on 2 different computers, sitting with my lap-top doing searches on the net for various problems. I did a virus scan, various spyware scans; reverted to IE 7, uninstalled AVG 9.0 on reading of some problems in January and surfed known websites--- problem gone! I don't know what the problem is, but AVG is acting like it were spyware. Bye, bye, AVG; you cost me hours of frustration.

Avast has been warmly recommended on this website. Thanks.

Steve.

• exgm
    14 years ago

If removing AVG and replacing with Avast does not help...

Mikie provided a link to a Microsoft page that you couldn't get to, but maybe:

This one?

(NB the note)

• zep516
    14 years ago

I would not worry about Firefox add / ons. You already indicated you have a problem with IE also. That pretty much rules out a browser issue. Disable Zone Alarm for a bit see if a change occurs. That's why I wanted you to boot to Safe Mode w/Networking it takes Zone Alarm and AVG out of the loop. The 2 programs that are most likely to be causing an issue..

• deew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

zep, when I booted into Safe Mode w/Networking, it made no difference. I still got the Waiting for on the Status bar and couldn't even load this site at that time.

Now, I'm having trouble submitting this message, because it's waiting for this site to load that part.

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

I'm not hijacking your post but following it carefully as I have been dealing with this for the past month. I have the same exact problem. I also have FF, IE, AVG, ZA. Happens with both browsers. Have 4 other computers, all working fine with the same set-up. I was going to call in a tech but will watch this post to see if anything is solved.

Jane

• zep516
    14 years ago

Very odd, Hijackthis might show something, might show bad winsock files in 010 entries, post a log if you can.

Click Here to download HJTInstall.exe
    Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
    · Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
    · By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
    · Click on Install.
    · It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    · Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    · Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    · Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" and Paste the entire contents of the log (no attachments) into your next post.
    DO NOT use the AnalyzeThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
    DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what HJT lists will be harmless or even required by your Operating System.

• zep516
    14 years ago

These steps are usually done on a totally broken connection, but it's worth a shot.

Repair internet connection
    Go to Start > Control Panel - If you are using Windows XP's Category View, select the Network and Internet Connections category. If you are in Classic View, go to the next step.

* Double-click the Network Connections icon.
    * Right-click the Local Area Connection icon and select Properties.
    * Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the Properties button.
    * Be sure Obtain DNS server address automatically is selected.
    * OK your way out.

Go to Start > Run and type in cmd
    Click OK

* This will open a command prompt.
    * Type the following line in the command window:

ipconfig /flushdns (note the space between ipconfig and /)

* Press Enter on the keyboard.
    * Exit the command window

Restart your computer.

Post the Hijackthis log too if you can.

• spunbondwarrior
    14 years ago

The simple way, and it's permanent, and free.
    Go to a library or a bookstore, or a PC shop and get a copy of Knoppix LiveCD or LiveDVD
    Put the Disc in and then start the PC.....
    After it starts up, see if it will go online....If it does it sure as hell ain't yer hardware......If it doesn't (or will not be able to) it will tell you why not.....If the PC under Knoppix (or SystemRescue) works like it's supposed to, and then not properly under MSWin-whatever,it is because it's something to do with your MSWin-whatever installation has corrupted itself... Yes...it does happen...
    Almost any PC shop is gonna have a copy of Knoppix or similar around. Rumor has it that it is the number one way for geek types to diagnose PC ills, since it will run on just about any piece of hardware.
    Good luck with it all......

• susieq07
    14 years ago

You can not have your router plugged into a surge protector, it will cut your speed down to almost nuthin..our router has it's own built in surge protector, chek on that before you go to all of the above...hoops

• deew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

zep, here's the HijackThis log.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 1:12:08 PM, on 4/5/2010
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgchsvx.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgrsx.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Canon\IJPLM\IJPLMSVC.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgnsx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
    C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgemc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\hdw4\My Documents\Misc\DL's\2010 dl's\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.ask.com/index.asp?origin=7019
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://login.passport.net/uilogin.srf?lc=1033&id=2
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.shreve.net
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.ask.com/index.asp?origin=7019
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.ask.com/iesearch/index.asp?origin=7019
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://www.ask.com/index.asp?origin=7019
    R3 - URLSearchHook: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - (A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C) - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - *(CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497) - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - (06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3) - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: AskBar BHO - (201f27d4-3704-41d6-89c1-aa35e39143ed) - C:\Program Files\AskBarDis\bar\bin\askBar.dll
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - (3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0) - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgssie.dll
    O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - (5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
    O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - (A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C) - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - (AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D) - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.0.926.3450\swg.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - (DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - (E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Foxit Toolbar - (3041d03e-fd4b-44e0-b742-2d9b88305f98) - C:\Program Files\AskBarDis\bar\bin\askBar.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - (CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829) - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelMeM] C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BookmarkCentral] C:\PROGRA~1\BMCENT~1\BMLauncher.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] c:\progra~1\common~1\instal~1\update~1\isuspm.exe -startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonSolutionMenu] C:\Program Files\Canon\SolutionMenu\CNSLMAIN.exe /logon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG9_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [RegisterDropHandler] C:\PROGRA~1\ScanSoft\TEXTBR~1.0\Bin\REGIST~1.EXE
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - (CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - (FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683) - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - (FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683) - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - (F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1) - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgpp.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Free E-mail Scanner (avg9emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Free WatchDog (avg9wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: Inkjet Printer/Scanner Extended Survey Program (IJPLMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Canon\IJPLM\IJPLMSVC.EXE
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: Outpost Firewall Service (OutpostFirewall) - Unknown owner - E:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall 1.0\outpost.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
    End of file - 6948 bytes

I hope you can spot a problem that can be fixed.

susieq, my computer is plugged in the way it's always been.

Dee

• zep516
    14 years ago

1 More log see below:

Double click the hijackthis Icon on the Desktop, Scroll down to Open the Misc Tools section" Click it at the bottom under System tools click "Open Uninstall Manager"over to the right click "Save List" Save it to your Desktop so you may find it, copy and paste it in your next reply..

I see outpost was installed at one time. I want to look a little closer at that to make sure all of outpost is gone. May want to use Revo unistaller I will give directions.

O23 - Service: Outpost Firewall Service (OutpostFirewall) - Unknown owner - E:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall 1.0\outpost.exe (file missing)

Did you install the ASK Search?

I want to consider disabling Link Scanner In AVG too.

Post that other log, I will look at it and give more instructions 1 at a time..

• deew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't remember Ask Search. What/ where is it?

I disabled Link Scanner in AVG a long time ago

Here's the second long.

Adobe Acrobat - Reader 6.0.2 Update
    Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin
    Adobe Reader 6.0.1
    Amazon Kindle For PC v1.0
    AOLIcon
    ArcSoft PhotoStudio 5.5
    ATI Control Panel
    ATI Display Driver
    AusLogics Disk Defrag
    AVG Free 9.0
    Belarc Advisor 7.2
    Bible Seeker Version 2.01
    Bible Seeker: Bible in Basic English
    Bookmark Express
    Canon CanoScan LiDE 100 User Registration
    Canon MP Navigator EX 2.0
    Canon Utilities Solution Menu
    CanoScan LiDE 100 Scanner Driver
    Coupon Printer for Windows
    Dell Driver Reset Tool
    Dell Picture Studio v3.0
    Dell Support 3.1
    EarthLink setup files
    Eraser
    ESPNMotion
    Foxit Reader
    Foxit Toolbar
    Get High Speed Internet!
    Google Earth
    Google Gmail Notifier
    Google Update Helper
    Google Updater
    High Definition Audio Driver Package - KB835221
    HijackThis 2.0.2
    Hotfix for Windows XP (KB952287)
    Hotfix for Windows XP (KB970653-v3)
    Hotfix for Windows XP (KB976098-v2)
    Hotfix for Windows XP (KB979306)
    hp deskjet 930c series
    hp deskjet 930c series (Remove only)
    Inkjet Printer/Scanner Extended Survey Program
    Intel(R) 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem
    Intel(R) PRO Network Connections Software v9.2.4.11
    Intel(R) PROSafe for Wired Connections
    Intel(R) PROSafe for Wired Connections
    Internet Explorer Default Page
    IrfanView (remove only)
    Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album 5
    Jasc Paint Shop Pro Studio, Dell Editon
    Java(TM) 6 Update 17
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Hotfix (KB887998)
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Hotfix (KB930494)
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 (SR1)
    Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition Installer
    Microsoft Plus! Photo Story 2 LE
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
    Microsoft Works 2000
    Modem Event Monitor
    Modem Helper
    Modem On Hold
    Mozilla Firefox (3.6.3)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688)
    Musicmatch for Windows Media Player
    Musicmatch® Jukebox
    NetZeroInstallers
    NoteTab Light (Remove only)
    Otto
    PhishGuard
    PowerDVD 5.5
    QuickTime
    RealPlayer Basic
    RealWorld Paint.COM
    Revo Uninstaller 1.80
    Security Update for Step By Step Interactive Training (KB898458)
    Security Update for Step By Step Interactive Training (KB923723)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB952069)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB954155)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB968816)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB973540)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB911565)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB917734)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB936782)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 6.4 (KB925398)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB890046)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB893066)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB893756)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896358)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896423)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896424)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896428)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896688)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB899587)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB899588)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB899589)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB899591)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB900725)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB901017)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB901214)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB902400)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB904706)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB905414)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB905749)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB905915)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB908519)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB908531)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB911562)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB911567)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB911927)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB912812)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB912919)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB913446)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB913580)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB914388)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB914389)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB916281)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917159)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917344)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917422)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917953)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB918118)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB918439)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB918899)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB919007)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920213)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920214)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920670)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920683)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920685)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB921398)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB921503)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB921883)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB922616)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB922760)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB922819)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923191)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923414)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923561)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923689)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923694)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923980)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB924191)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB924270)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB924496)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB924667)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB925454)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB925486)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB925902)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB926255)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB926436)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB927779)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB927802)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB928090)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB928255)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB928843)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB929123)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB929969)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB930178)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB931261)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB931768)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB932168)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB933566)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB933729)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB935839)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB935840)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB936021)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB937143)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB937894)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB938127)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB938829)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB939653)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB941202)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB941568)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB941569)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB941644)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB941693)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB942615)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB943055)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB943460)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB943485)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB944338)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB944533)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB944653)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB945553)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB946026)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB947864)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB948590)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB948881)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB950749)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB950759)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB950760)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB950974)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951066)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376-v2)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB952004)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB952954)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB953838)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB953839)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB954211)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB954600)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB955069)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956390)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956391)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956572)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956802)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956803)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956841)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB956844)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB957095)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB957097)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB958215)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB958470)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB958644)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB958687)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB958690)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB958869)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB959426)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB960225)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB960714)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB960715)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB960803)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB960859)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB961371)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB961373)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB961501)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB963027)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB968537)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB969059)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB969897)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB969898)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB969947)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB970238)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB970430)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB971032)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB971468)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB971486)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB971557)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB971633)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB971657)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB971961)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB972260)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB972270)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB973346)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB973354)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB973507)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB973525)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB973869)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB973904)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB974112)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB974318)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB974392)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB974455)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB974571)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB975025)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB975467)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB975560)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB975561)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB976325)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB977165)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB977914)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB978037)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB978251)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB978262)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB978706)
    Sonic DLA
    Sonic Encoders
    Sonic MyDVD LE
    Sonic RecordNow Audio
    Sonic RecordNow Copy
    Sonic RecordNow Data
    Sonic Update Manager
    SpywareBlaster 4.2
    SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition
    TextBridge Pro 9.0
    Update for Windows XP (KB894391)
    Update for Windows XP (KB896727)
    Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
    Update for Windows XP (KB900485)
    Update for Windows XP (KB910437)
    Update for Windows XP (KB911280)
    Update for Windows XP (KB916595)
    Update for Windows XP (KB920872)
    Update for Windows XP (KB922582)
    Update for Windows XP (KB927891)
    Update for Windows XP (KB929338)
    Update for Windows XP (KB930916)
    Update for Windows XP (KB931836)
    Update for Windows XP (KB933360)
    Update for Windows XP (KB936357)
    Update for Windows XP (KB938828)
    Update for Windows XP (KB942763)
    Update for Windows XP (KB942840)
    Update for Windows XP (KB946627)
    Update for Windows XP (KB951072-v2)
    Update for Windows XP (KB955759)
    Update for Windows XP (KB955839)
    Update for Windows XP (KB967715)
    Update for Windows XP (KB968389)
    Update for Windows XP (KB971737)
    Update for Windows XP (KB973687)
    Update for Windows XP (KB973815)
    Update for Windows XP (KB976749)
    Update for Windows XP (KB978207)
    Update for Windows XP (KB980182)
    VC 9.0 Runtime
    Viewpoint Media Player
    WebCyberCoach 3.2 Dell
    Webshots Desktop
    Windows Genuine Advantage v1.3.0254.0
    Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)
    Windows Media Player 10
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB873333
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB885836
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB886185
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB887742
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB888302
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB890859
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB893086
    Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 KB973768
    WordPerfect Office 12
    Yankee Clipper III
    Yankee Clipper Plus
    ZoneAlarm

• zep516
    14 years ago

Clean out your temporary internet files and temp files.

Download TFC by OldTimer From here click Here Click the save tab save it to your desktop then see below:

Double-click TFC.exe to run it.

Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator

TFC will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin

* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
    * Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
    * Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.

Once TFC is finished it should restart your computer. If it does not, please manually restart the computer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning.

After that's done, double click Hijackthis Icon, only have Hijackthis open.

From the list Do a System Scan Only
    Place a check mark in the following entries in bold:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.ask.com/index.asp?origin=7019
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.ask.com/index.asp?origin=7019
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.ask.com/iesearch/index.asp?origin=7019
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://www.ask.com/index.asp?origin=7019
    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - *(CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497) - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - (06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3) - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: AskBar BHO - (201f27d4-3704-41d6-89c1-aa35e39143ed) - C:\Program Files\AskBarDis\bar\bin\askBar.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - (AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D) - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.0.926.3450\swg.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Foxit Toolbar - (3041d03e-fd4b-44e0-b742-2d9b88305f98) - C:\Program Files\AskBarDis\bar\bin\askBar.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BookmarkCentral] C:\PROGRA~1\BMCENT~1\BMLauncher.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - (CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll

Once all the check marks are in place.

Clickfix Checked.
    CloseHijackthis program.
    Reboot

Note You have 2 PDF Readers installed, Abobe and Foxit reader. I would uninstall theses 2 programs from the list: Your add / Remove list that is.
    Adobe Reader 6.0.1

Then at some point you need to look at Raven's post about Foxit reader update. Do that last thing.

I also see you have Revo uninstall installed, when you get time could you use that to see if any Outpost Files are on the computer and remove them if found.

Post a fresh Hijackthis log, so we can see that the entries are gone that I told you to remove.

Do all the instructions above and lets see where we are.

• zep516
    14 years ago

Uinstall these 2 programs below in bold from add / Remove list. My post was somewhat confusing after I read it. Keep foxit reader.

Adobe Reader 6.0.1

• deew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's the log after I ran TFC.

Scan saved at 10:11:19 PM, on 4/5/2010

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgchsvx.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgrsx.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgnsx.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgemc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://login.passport.net/uilogin.srf?lc=1033&id=2
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.shreve.net
    R3 - URLSearchHook: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - "A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C> - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - "3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0> - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgssie.dll
    O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - "5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890> - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
    O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - "A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C> - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - "DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9> - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - "E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C> - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - "CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829> - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelMeM] C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] c:\progra~1\common~1\instal~1\update~1\isuspm.exe -startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonSolutionMenu] C:\Program Files\Canon\SolutionMenu\CNSLMAIN.exe /logon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG9_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [RegisterDropHandler] C:\PROGRA~1\ScanSoft\TEXTBR~1.0\Bin\REGIST~1.EXE
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - "FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683> - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - "FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683> - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - "F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1> - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgpp.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Free E-mail Scanner (avg9emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Free WatchDog (avg9wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: Inkjet Printer/Scanner Extended Survey Program (IJPLMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Canon\IJPLM\IJPLMSVC.EXE
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
    End of file - 5298 bytes

Revo Uninstaller doesn't show Outpost in its list.

• zep516
    14 years ago

This Entry is still there above in the log, I'd like to remove that. If you removed it and it came back. Boot the computer to safe mode and use hijackthis again by placing a check mark in the 023 entry below like you did before.

In Safe Mode Do a System scan only, place the check Mark in the 023 and:

Click Fixed checked.

close Hijackthis.

Important to reboot.

Then

Do a System Scan again in normal mode and see if 023 entry is gone. No need to post a log. Just let me know it's gone.

To Enter Safe Mode
    Restart the computer, keep pressing the F8 key during restart until you see the Windows Advanced options list, using the arrow keys select Safe Mode.

Would you be willing to uninstall AVG and try another Anti Virus program? Like Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials. Just to see if it clears up the issue.

If so I will give you the links for either one and we will run a special remover for AVG I will give you that link too.

It's the only thing I can think of left to do! And we can try it tomorrow.

• meggypeggy
    14 years ago

I've had a similar problem. No browser would load pages, but my connection was fine (could get email, update etc.). This morning I uninstalled AVG, and all is working normally again.

• zep516
    14 years ago

Thanks meg,

Where moving in that direction and fixing other small issues at the same time..

• zep516
    14 years ago

Zone Alarm and AVG may have compatibility issues also. There was a patch for one of them some time ago.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

I think AVG is having some compatibility problems again am seeing this a LOT suddenly. Definitely try removal of AVG.

• deew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

zep, I followed your latest instructions, but it didn't get rid of that 023 Outpost listing. I think I might have discovered the reason. I have a second hard drive from my old HP computer installed. I kept it mostly to store my music files in. I checked the Program Files on that hard drive, listed as E: drive. I couldn't find it anywhere, but if it is in E: drive, how would I get rid of it there?

I would be very willing to uninstall AVG and go with Avast. I'll change firewalls, too, if you recommend I do that. I'll check in again tomorrow.

• zep516
    14 years ago

No that entry is on the "C" Drive as a service. Lets use hijackthis to delete an nt service.

Use HijackThis to delete the service another way. Double click the hijackthis Icon on the desktop, then Open the Misc Tools tab, and then press the Delete an NT service button. When it opens you should then enter the service name to delete and press OK.

This is Service name to enter OutpostFirewall then press ok.

See if that works.

There is no hurry here, I can get back to you tomorrow. I will give you a link for Avast free we will download that first but not run the set up file yet. Once you download the avast set up file, we will use the link I provide to remove AVG,. Once AVG is removed then you will double click the Avast set up file that you downloaded before and follow through with installing Avast.

Let's leave Zone Alarm alone for now. Making 2 many changes at once can be confusing...

See how the Delete an nt service goes above, do you need to do it in safe mode probably not.

If we can't get it deleted, we will move on with installing Avast an uninstalling AVG. Links and instruction will follow so keep checking back..........

• zep516
    14 years ago

Hi,

Get Avast free from here, click Here
    if you have not done so yet, click the orange tab where it says Download. Just download the set up file to the desktop for now we can double click it and proceed with the install after we use the AVG uninstall tool in link below:

AVG uninstall tool on that page click the AVG REMOVER 32BIT.EXE. This will unistall all of AVG. See link:

click Here Unistall AVG.

Once AVGremover tool is done, go to the desktop and double click the Avast Set-up file you downloaded before and install Avast.

For Avast use and reference see below, you can skip the Install part of the tutorial.

click Here

Note Don't confirm your Internet connection on this site, with all the stuff this site loads it takes forever to load as compared to other sites I visit. I get the spinning circle here frequently.

• nicola38
    14 years ago

I had this problem also a few weeks ago. After doing scans, disabling firewall etc I discovered it was AVG. I've had AVG for years without any hassles. I couldn't find a shut down method for it, perhaps why I took so long to find out it was that but just uninstalled and put another anti-virus on and the laptop is back to normal. I got PC Tools anti-virus to replace for now but I won't be going back to AVG that's for sure!

• zep516
    14 years ago

Wow lots of complaints now with AVG, Thanks nicola. Have to do some more checking and see how many more complaints are being posted else where about it. Your the second user to confirm AVG was a problem. Keeps sounding like Norton runs fine on some machines but fails miserably on others. We will see if it fixes it here for deew hope so.

I know others posted about it to in this thread to get rid of it too.

• deew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

xep, I uninstalled AVG and installed Avast. What a difference! So far, I've been able to load every site I tired! It looks like AVG was indeed the culprit.

I thank everyone who made suggestions to help. zep, I can't begin to thank you enough for all your help and patience. It feels so good to have my Internet back!

BTW, I couldn't get rid of that Outpost Firewall service. I got the message that it couldn't be found in the registry.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks again.

Dee

• zep516
    14 years ago

Please post one more log, make sure it's a fresh Hijackthis log.

• deew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's the new log.

Scan saved at 2:08:10 PM, on 4/7/2010

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe
    C:\Program Files\YCPlus\YANKCLIP.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - "3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0> - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - "5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890> - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - "DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9> - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - "E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C> - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast5] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast5\avastUI.exe /nogui
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - "FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683> - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - "FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683> - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - "F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1> - (no file)
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - avgrsstx.dll (file missing)
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe

--
    End of file - 4810 bytes

• DA_Mccoy
    14 years ago

Coincidence or not, AVG had a core engine update this afternoon. Just perhaps. Who knows?

DA

• zep516
    14 years ago

Looks Good and glad it's running better for you! Everyone chipped in here. I just want to point out one thing about the left over entries from AVG.

O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - "F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1> - (no file)

O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - avgrsstx.dll (file missing)

Those 2 entries above are left over orphaned Registry Entries from the AVG removal and that's why they say no file. The actual file is gone. When you get a second try to remove those 2, there not going to hurt anything but I don't like them.

That 023 Entry that's a left over registry entry too, from Outpost Firwall as you can see that file is also gone and that's the important part. There is another option in hijackthis called delete on reboot that might work, again it should not be any issue leaving it though. Not sure why that's so stubborn to delete.

Happy Surfing!

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

Dee, I know the feeling. Got mine going too. Aren't these folks 'THE BEST!'

Jane

• deew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They certainly are! I'm just happy that they make their time available to help when we encounter trouble.

Dee

• elks
    13 years ago

This explains what happened.

My apologies for dumping on AVG.

Steve