SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
il_home

Induction Cooktop Temperature Control

il_home
16 years ago

I've read most of the posts in this forum regarding induction cooktops and did not see any detailed posts regarding temperature control.

I currently have a 7-year old Dacor electric (not induction) cooktop and my biggest complaint is that although it has 10 settings, I only use settings 1-4 and 10, so I don't have enough control over the temperature settings between 1-4. Settings above 5 (other than max) re unusable.

On my current cooktop, the ideal temperature for a frypan (e.g., pancakes, hash browns, eggs) is between 3 and 4. When I'm boiling water (with a lid), 2 will hold a boil, but will eventually boil over. 1 will not keep a boil going, but is the only setting I can use without boiling over. Boiling without a lid will usually use 4. Setting 5 can only be used briefly to sear meat or fish. I have never used settings 6-9.

Product documentation for several brands appears to suggest the following numbers of settings:

KitchenAid: 9 settings

Thermador: 10 settings (10 on lowest 25% of power and high--pancakes recommended at 6-7)

Wolf: 10 settings (the manual suggests 16 bars, but I believe pressing + or - moves in 2 bar increments--frying recommended at 10-12 bars)

Electrolux: 15 settings

Gaggenau: 17 settings

GE: 19 settings

What settings do you use most often?

Do you often wish you had greater temperature control (I wish I had 1.5 and 3.5 settings on my electric cooktop)?

What settings are unusable (too hot)?

Comments (16)