SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kt32race

Thermador Freedom induction 36" cooktop or Wolf 36" induction range?

kt32race
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We have decided to go the induction route for our new kitchen. We considered gas but were ultimately swayed by the environmentally friendly nature and performance of induction. We *love* the flexibility of the Thermador Freedom -- being able to put a pot down anywhere, using a griddle with ease, etc.-- but have read lots of complaints about Thermador reliability as well as the sluggishness of the induction controls. (We were not able to test one in person.) The only place for our oven is under the cooktop, so we would install a 30" Thermador oven under the cooktop.

We are also considering the Wolf induction range. We actually like the look of the range versus the induction cooktop with an oven underneath. We tested it at the showroom, and the controls seemed very easy to use. It does have specific hobs, so doesn't have quite the flexibility of the Thermador and I worry about how well the bridging element actually works with a griddle. We also are concerned about the blue enamel chipping on Wolf electric ovens.

Any experiences with either of these specific products? They cost a pretty penny, and we would hate to spend so much only to be plagued by expensive and annoying repairs. One other thing -- the Thermador appliance package (with fridge), means a fairly significant cost savings. But the most important thing to us is getting products we love and that will last. Thanks!

Comments (54)

• kt32race
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We would consider the Miele, but they only offer a 30” range. We want a 36” cooktop. Re “sluggishness,” I’ve read reports that say the Thermador controls lag a bit, which can be annoying while cooking. I really want to try it out but can’t find a place in my area to do so! I did try out the Wolf and really loved it but am intrigued by the non-hob design of the Thermador Freedom.

• riverrat1
    3 years ago

I've had the Wolf 36" induction range for about 4 months. We love it! The range has a very fast response time and is easy to use. We have always cooked with cast iron so no problems there. I haven't used a griddle yet so I can't comment on how well that works and I do love the melting hob that perfectly melts butter or chocolate successfully.

I've had no chipping of the blue enamel in the oven. I don't think I will use the oven for high heat which is where I understand the problem comes in. If I need high heat I'll use the amazing countertop Cuisinart oven that we have in the pantry.

Before we moved and purchased the Wolf induction, we had a gas Wolf six-burner with a built-in grill. Loved it but it was a bear to clean.

• Related Discussions

Induction cooktops - Miele flush mount vs Thermador Freedom?

Q

Comments (142)
    Thank you, thanks to the Covid I was able to be onsite every day during the remodel. It was the most fun I have had in a long time and our contractor was amazing, I even DIY’d a central vacuum system since we brought the entire house down to the studs (taking pictures the entire way...which i would highly recommend to anyone as we were able to locate things, verify subs work, plus prove to inspector items were according to code that were now hidden). anyway, that’s off topic to your question. We gravitate toward peace and quiet and find the fan noise loud; part of the annoyance is the pitch is high so best way I can describe it would be: it’s similar to a leaf blower in pitch/tone with volume level slightly below lowest level of a range hood. And the hotter your oven cooking temperature the longer it remains running to cool down, I haven’t actually timed how long it stays on, but as an example if we bake something at 350 the fan runs for probably 15-20min after shutting down. It doesn’t help that our ovens face the dining room and with an open concept kitchen/living and just cased openings to the dining the sound echos a lot so we are considering options such as acoustic panels (https://www.acoustimac.com/acousticart). This is our first foray into high end appliances and had no idea the ovens had this “feature” so it was a bit disappointing when everything else is so nice...but our food comes out so much better and if you run the vent hood motor on medium or high setting it would totally drown out the oven fan, so there’s that solution i suppose, lol! Seriously, though, if we ever do another house I would seriously consider creating an oven alcove that helps reduce the noise and the direction it is thrown. another interesting discovery is there is a secondary fan that runs 24/7 (at least I assume as I have never not felt it running) that you can not hear and only barely feel a breeze when right up against the oven (comes out just between the upper oven and the control panel). It is cool air so it appears Thermador is vigilant about keeping the electronics from over heating even when off. finally, i forgot to mention how interesting the fridge/freezer column are in that you never hear the compressor kick on like a “run of the mill” fridge, just a fan kicks on very infrequently and only for about 30 seconds then quiet...oh and the ice cubes, love the pyramid shaped cubes and the fact they don’t stick/melt together (unless power goes out), but unfortunately almost an entire drawer is gobbled up by the bucket being centrally located and scoop off to one side for easy retrieval...but again we only have the 18” freezer column.
    ...See More

Thermador 36" Masterpiece Freedom Induction Cooktop - reviews?

Q

Comments (14)
    We just installed our Freedom last week. We love it. It holds consistent temps and it’s really nice not to have to worry about where the cookware is in the cooktop. I really like the myZone feature. It allows you to move the pot in the stove to change the heat. So closer to the front edge gives you 9 further back is 7 all the way to the back edge at 1. This is handy when I have more than one thing going for dinner at once, or something that may boil over. I can quickly change the heat without fussing with the touch screen.
    ...See More

Thermador 36" range -- 36" commercial depth with gas and induction?

Q

Comments (16)
    Yes - we ended up with just the Thermador gas range- Thermador PRG366WH Pro Harmony® 36 Inch Wide 5.1 Cu. Ft. Slide In Gas Range with 6 Burners. We were close to getting the Thermador Dual Fuel professional range 36” pro grande commercial depth range which includes 2 induction burners and 4 gas burners but hesitated due to extra $$ and increased depth. We have been very happy with the range we got but definitely still wishfully dreaming about the Pro Grande!
    ...See More

Induction Cooktops: Thermador Freedom Discontinued, now what?

Q

Comments (40)
    Well, i haven't seen it in person, so is hard to tell, but it looks like the control layout and functionality is better. would love to hear from someone with working knowledge of the product, though. Also seems to come in a grey color.
    ...See More
  • Donna Reed
    3 years ago

@kt32race I'm curious what you ended up with ? I am looking between the Thermador Freedom, or the Wolf induction cooktop and may even add a gas modular burner. I LOVE the idea of the Freedom but thinking of more flex if I go with the Wolf and module though I lose the freedom range. I was deadset on a 48" gas range so hate the idea of going down to a 36" induction so that extra module gives me 15" more and flex to use both cooking features. We are also stuck a little if we want the Thermador deal or not...... Doing brand new kitchen so need everything! Even thought about the Wolf induction range..... so many choices! You seem to be one step ahead so curious what you came up with? (here is a pic of the wolf cooktop with gas add on)

• kt32race
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Donna Reed We still haven't made a decision! =). To make matters more complicated, Wolf has introduced an updated 36" range, but from the pictures, the controls looks different. And of course no one has it in stock yet to use in person. We need to make a final decision next week, so we are taking another trip to the appliance store to use the Gagg induction, which I understand is very similar to the Thermador. Good luck!

• wdccruise
    3 years ago

The Gaggenau CX492610 and Thermador CIT36XWB are made by the same company and are identical except for slight differences in appearance. The Thermador is a whopping US$5300. Gaggenau hides its US prices from the Internet but it's CA$8000 which is about US$6240.

• Donna Reed
    3 years ago

@kt32race Ha you sound like me! The Wolf range you are talking about, is that the induction range? This one? I'm not sure it's worth $2k more than separate. Both our appliance stores have them on display. It's a beautiful oven but for me, Also, I"m leaning against the oven below the cooktop. Also, personally I think it makes the cooktop and range look like an electric stove. Of course it's beautiful! But I love the look of a professional 48" range. I"m hesitant on the induction because it's not a "wow" factor. I was looking for that "professional" kitchen look so we are rethinking! I also looked at the Wolf and the Freedom again. With the parameters, I"m not so sure you will get a lot more than what's available on the Wolf. It has the controls in the center on the bottom. I sometimes use two big griddles (one for pancakes and one for bacon), not often but on occasion. Also, was cooking a bit pot of soup and tried to boil noodles and cook grilled cheese on a double burner griddle too. Was VERY tight! I"m not sure either would fit. Freedom maybe better so I can fit a double burner pan on both sides. The big pot in the middle. Hmmm. I wish they made a 48" induction!!! Even thought about doing the 36" wolf with a 15" gas module! The thermador ovens weren't as sharp as the Wolf ones in my opinion. Such a hard call!

• kt32race
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, @Donna Reed! When you say the cooking area was tight, do you mean using the old version Wolf induction range or the new one? The new one seems to have better laid out hobs -- big one in the center, two bridging elements on either side. We went back to test the Freedom (actually the Gagg, but it's the same) and the older version Wolf range. I'm totally sold on induction generally. Boiled water in the blink of and eye and controls were really responsive. I was worried about the scrolling temperature controls on the Freedom, but I didn't mind them -- that being said the Wolf controls (on the old range at least) were slightly more responsive. Our big question is whether we are okay with having the wall oven under cooktop look, which I don't love, or the range look. Wolf would end up being quite a bit more expensive (almost $4K) because we want to get the Thermador integrated fridge over the SubZero (liked the Thermador much better) so we could take advantage of the Thermador package. Decisions!

• Ken Trombatore
    3 years ago

We feel your pain. We are in the planning process and are looking at the Freedom/Gagg. The videos make the interface look a little slow, so I have a little concern on that. And with the International Kitchen and Bath show next week, I wonder if we've see any updates or refreshes (as Wolf just did). The Freedom/Gagg is getting pretty long in the tooth (2013 maybe). And, looking at videos, the third version of the same cooktop, the Siemens 80cm iq700 (not available in the U.S.) , looks like a faster UI.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

• Donna Reed
    3 years ago

@kt32race No I mean on my standard range at home (we are building a new house), trying to cooking can be tight as I sometimes have several things going at once. I meant I"m not sure either induction cooktop would fit all my pans! Not often but when I cook, I try to cook for the week. I was making a veggie soup and a chicken noodle soup, both in a soup pot. But then had to boil water in another pot for noodles, and then trying to make grilled cheese on a double burner off on the side. Was very tight! I had to take one of the pots off stove until a burner freed up! Not happen often but just was looking forward to a 48" range! I want to do the induction though. When I went back to the freedom to look again, when you take off the side boundaries (I think is 2" on each side, so the 36" goes to 32" (I think), it really isn't a huge surface. Does that make sense? I then heard people not really liking the controls on the freedom. When you need to turn something down quick you have to go thru a few steps rather than grab the knob.

• Donna Reed
    3 years ago

@kt32race on the second issue, why do you have to do the wall oven underneath? I don't really like that look either! Do you not have room anywhere on the wall? I think I am going to do warming drawer under induction. I found a pic so I can share if interested, that shows different color cabinets under the induction so it stands out like a range. Looks great! Just an idea! I think I am going to do the steam oven over the wall oven. And then instead of doing the micro drawer, may do the speed oven next to the induction to the left. Not sure!

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

What is the NEW configuration of the Wolf? I would get the Wolf over the Thermador. I found the Thermador user interface unfriendly to operate. Wolf is super easy. I was also told that Thermador only stocks parts for 5 years.

• Donna Reed
    3 years ago

@kt32race third issue is the SZ vs Thermador fridge/freezer. One of the things I hate about my GE profile regular fridge, and any fridge I've had, is that my produce goes bad faster than I would like. I tend to get into cooking phases or healthy eating and then I stock up on veggies! Then I never have time to cook them all and stare at them in my fridge until they go bad and I don't feel guilty throwing away! Ha! Fun fact! Anyway, having them last longer would be GREAT! Also, we always have left overs or take out in the fridge and eventually all the smells start to mix. The SZ is the only one with the air scrubber. Yale Appliances did a review on both brands and even said they were surprised SZ didn't include that in their latest model. My relatives have a Mac daddy kitchen (huge cooks) but they did all viking 20 years ago of which they would never do again. They would do an induction this time around and their SZ fridge is over 20 years old and never had had a problem with it. So that has made me think I should just do the SZ, Have you looked into any of that? I really wanted to save the $$ but also get the free hood or microwave but our dealer of both brands said don't pick because of that (of course he's not paying!). Lastly, if you but a package with Wolf/SZ, you get 3 years of warranty on all your appliances (except DW). That's huge! I worry about spending so much on these appliances when you read about the reviews and service issues! 3 more years, on top of the 3 years you get, is 6 years of warranty. Wonder if that's worth it! Therm only gives you 2 years I think? I also heard if you buy on credit card, you get an additional 1 year warranty and if Citibank, it's extra 2 years (hidden secret with cc companies!). Let me know if you researched any of this or have any input?

• Ken Trombatore
    3 years ago

This is the new Wolf. It looks like they lost the knobs. I don't think I like it as much, it lost its character.

https://www.subzero-wolf.com/wolf/ranges/induction-range/36-inch-transitional-induction-range

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

@Ken Trombatore - Thanks, I like the burner layout better, but prefer the knobs and the other professional handle better.

@Donna Reed- I'm getting the SZ fridge - would not get another brand. I'm also doing the double wall ovens. I will NOT get the induction, but only because I want knob based controls so I'll probably get the Blue Star. I was hoping the "new" wolf range would have knobs for all the burners, but it still has the push controls.

• Donna Reed
    3 years ago

@Ken Trombatore Have you looked into the latest Thermador Freedom? That's fairly new I thought? I keep reading that you can only do 4 burners but that must be the older Freedom? I saw both the latest Freedom and the latest Wolf. Wolf had 5 burners and Freedom has unlimited. Would love another opinion!

• Donna Reed
    3 years ago

@designgirl Are you talking about the latest Wolf and Thermador? You would pick Wolf? (just read your latest post) are you doing regular wall ovens or Steam/reg oven combo?

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

I would always pick Wolf over Thermador. I've been told Thermador only stocks parts for 5 years. That's enough for me to say "NO" to Thermador. I am doing double ovens, only because I want a knob based cooktop, and Wolf doesn't make one.

• YC C
    3 years ago

Tested Thermador Freedom and Bosch Benchmark 36 in induction cooktops (they are the same company). The Thermador controls are a bit laggy - It looks like a cellphone screen but not responsive like one, when you swipe up/down to get to the level # you want. The latest model can take up to 6 pots & pans.

The Benchmark is a different interface where you select the location of the pan, and then select numbers 1-9 on the bottom of the cooktop. There's no colored screen but it's slightly more intuitive. I thought it was hard to see whether the red lights are on or off.. Benchmark also has a feature similar to thermador where you slide the pot and the heat level changes (but 3 levels only vs ~5) . Benchmark 36" in is #1 recommended by consumer reports.

Thermador looks better than Bosch. Their oven construction also feels more solid, i like the knobs on the Pro series. The cooktop uses less wattage and the buzzing sound while cooking was not as loud as Benchmark (salesperson says the sound would also be quieter if the pot has more solid metal (magnetic?) in it). I'm sure both cooktops will have some learning curve and getting used to. I'm not sure if the Freedom is worth the premium over benchmark TBH.

I was not impressed with the Bosch counter-depth fridge; the Thermador fridge has the vent on the bottom so it's super tall and presents challenge for shorter people like myself. (I looked at 36w, bottom freezer only). Likely going with SZ 36in french door for its service and actually 2 cubic ft roomier capacity.

Question is - would it be odd to have a kitchen with mostly bosch appliances but SZ fridge? i know they're different "tiers". As someone who doesn't cook much but store plenty leftovers, it's hard to justify almost doubling the expense for Thermador cooktop + oven

• kt32race
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Donna Reed We've decided to go with the Thermador Freedom. We fretted about it -- and I do worry about the overall reliability -- but we liked it when we tested it. The controls seemed ever so slightly less user friendly than the Wolf, but then you have the "freedom" (ha!) to put a pan anywhere. I also can't find the new Wolf induction range in stock anywhere to test. Another factor in our decision is that we liked the Thermador built in fridge much better than the SubZero. We are paneling our fridge, so wanted a full integrated look (instead of the SZ built-in). The SZ integrated is significantly smaller than the Thermador and we liked the layout and usability much better on the Thermador. Note, we are limited to a 36" freezer on the bottom model. So with the Thermador discounts and packages, it is just not worth it to spring for the Wolf, which we can't even see before buying.. Now we just have to figure out whether we can put the oven in the island or if it has to be under the cooktop, which I really don't like. We basically have no wall space, because we are opening up a wall to our dining room. For our second oven, we are doing the Meile steam oven, plumbed version. Good luck!

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

@YC C - To answer your question it will NOT look odd to have Bosch appliances and a SZ fridge. I'm a designer and I'm doing a SZ fridge, Wolf double ovens, a Blue Star induction cooktop, and a Miele dishwasher. As long as the overall look is similar it won't be a problem. All of your elements will "match" so to speak - the SZ is just a stainless steel fridge so it doesn't look odd at all. In my area, people mostly get SZ fridges, but often go with other brands for different reasons. I always tell my clients that the refrigerator is the most important appliance in your kitchen since it needs to work all the time. If you can afford it, SZ all the way. Take a look at this thread - she just finished a major kitchen reno - Bosch cooktop and wall ovens, SZ fridge. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6035318/i-m-in-love-again-my-2020-reveal#n=259

• Ken Trombatore
    3 years ago

We went and looked at the Gaggenau 400 Series 36 inch induction model CX492610, which is the same guts as the Freedom. It does have one feature the Thermador doesn't have, which is professional cook mode, where you can split the surface into dedicated zone from side to side. For example the left side get set to 1, the middle to 9 and the right to 5. Then just move your dishes around for fast cooking. Not sure if you would use this outside of doing a lot of bulk cooking for a large group where speed really was important. It's sort of like Gaggenau Dynamic cooking mode (called MyZone on the Thermador and powerMovePro on the Siemens), but without the sliding.

https://media3.gaggenau.com/Documents/9001349120_E.pdf

But the Gaggenau doesn't have the SapphireGlow lights the Thermador has. Another, "not sure if that matters" feature, but it kind of cool. And it's only available with a frame and we'd like frameless.

I REALLY like the UI on the Siemens iq700 90cm (not available in the Americas), which is also the same guts, but I think a better way of handing the power control UI. Instead of the press, then hold and slide to set power level of the Gaggenau or the Thermador, when you activate a pot on the Siemens, it pulls up a full screen setting mode to dial in and accept your settings.

https://media3.bsh-group.com/Documents/9001384527_C.pdf

Pretty nice right?

It too has Active Lighting, similar to SapphireGlow on the Thermador has, but lights them up slightly different.

Siemens Lights:

Here is Thermador SapphireGlow, which is missing the white and orange of the Siemens.

So, basically the same cooktop all around. And with really great features on each one individually, but probably not one that hits all the points for everyone. Personally, I ike the Siemens the most, but it's not available in the U.S. But you'd think BSH could offer the same cookup up to all three brands that allows for THE CUSTOMER to mix and match the type of UI setting that best fit OUR needs, not the very slight differentiation between the brands under BSH. Maybe I like the full screen power settings of the Siemens but someone else likes the power settings dial of the Thermador/Gaggenau. That should be a "Power Settings Style: Full Screen or Dial" setting in the main settings menu.

So frustrating and why start hating appliance shopping, when it should be fun!

Maybe BSH reads these. If so...do better.

• coachsue
    3 years ago

Hi. I am looking at both the wolf and the Thermador induction cooktops. And the more I read the more confused I get! I love the Thermador however I am concerned about its reliability. Even here on Houzz I am seeing a lot of negative comments about its reliability. So we are looking also at the Wolf. I would love some feedback.

• lindacottonwood
    3 years ago

Well I am one happy owner of the Thermador. We have had it for almost 2 years with no issues.

We cook 3 meals a day and rarely go to a restaurant so lots of use.

• ayoshino
    2 years ago

@Kt32race Thank you for your feedback on the Freedom cooktop. I'm contemplating the same one. By the way, where did you get your backsplash? It's awesome!

• kt32race
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@ayoshino Thanks! It’s Pratt and Larson, Brownstone gloss white in diamond shape. Medium gray grout.

• M Riz
    2 years ago

If you are considering ANY Thermador appliance please know that you will probably be waiting the better part of a year for delivery. Im on month 10 and my cooktop is not here. The salesman asked the rep and the rep hasnt any timeline. The more you know.

• Jessica Henry
    last year

Kt32race. What oven did you put underneath?

• PFC187
    last year

@kt32race - hope you see this. I'd love to know how you feel about your Thermador Freedom induction almost a year later. I've had gas for years, doing a kitchen remodel, and thought I was ready to change to induction but went down the rabbit hole of gas vs. induction.

• Design Girl
    last year
    last modified: last year

@PFC187 - I can't comment on the Thermador Freedom, but I just finished a kitchen remodel (well almost as floors have yet to be refinished) and went down the rabbit hole too. Since we were doing an addition as well, I over thought this item for almost 2 years. I pulled the trigger and bought a Fulgor Milano Induction Range Top and I have to say I LOVE IT ! Yesterday my potatoes were about to boil over and I turned the knob down and it was immediately responsive so no boil over. It is a breeze to clean and had the look I wanted. Fulgor was the only manufacturer that made a "range top" which means I didn't have to have a seam in my stone and gave me the more professional look I wanted. I also LOVE the fact that it has knob controls because you can quickly turn the knob, rather than scrolling around trying to find the correct temp. My other appliances are SubZero/Wolf. Induction was one of the best decisions I made. I'm very happy with the responsiveness and the ease of clean up.

• PFC187
    last year

@Design Girl thank you! Not familiar with Fulgor but love the idea of knobs vs. scrolling. Is Fulgor a brand that would be hard to find service for? I'm also considering the Wolf 36" induction range. Not sure about gas or induction, range or cooktop/wall oven. I've always had a range and it worked was very happy with it. Prepped plenty of large meals with that range and, with some planning, was always able to make it all work. Having the opportunity to get everything new is wonderful AND a little overwhelming! Any other insights or tidbits appreciated!

• Design Girl
    last year

@PFC187 - It's all overwhelming these days. My needs and yours may be very different but I can give you some things that I considered which may or may not be relevant to you. I grew up with double ovens and a cooktop so it was something I was very used to. I also had it in my last kitchen for over 25 years. I thought about going with a range, but I'm 60ish years old and didn't know how the bending down would work over the long run. I definitely wanted knob controls as I thought they were just easier to operate. I single twist and it's on or adjusted. I found the scrolling on the Thermador Freedom to be finicky. First select the place where the pot is, then scroll up and down for your selected temp. When I tried it out I was often scrolling past the temp I wanted, only to have to go back and scroll the other way. Of the induction cooktops I looked at, the only ones I found with knobs were Viking, Frigidaire, BlueStar and Bertazonni. I had pretty much decided on the BlueStar, but then found the Fulgor range top. Fulgor is an Italian brand much like Bertazonni, but was made for the US market. I can't comment on service but from what I understand, many of the induction units use the same elements. Fulgor uses the same elements as those used in Thermador. If you are comfortable with a range then Wolf is a great choice. That's what I would have gotten if I had gone that route. They don't have knobs on the induction ranges (I wish they did), but they aren't difficult to use like the Thermador was for me. SZ/Wolf's customer service is awesome. I know because I had an issue with my fridge. After waiting 11 months my fridge came in and the salesperson ordered the wrong one. I did NOT want water on the door and that's what I got. To make matters worse, I was not home and it was installed. I was sick and my appliance store said there was nothing they could do as it was on the paperwork. Beware (check the model numbers on your paperwork before you ok the order). I called SZ and explained what happened. They gave me the phone number of the regional sales rep for my area. I had the correct fridge in 3 weeks. They went above and beyond for something that was the store's fault and not theirs. I am beyond impressed with them. Pictures of my FM range top. I love how symmetrical it is.

• SHarper
    last year

@Design Girl Reading about induction cooktops led me to your photo. May I ask who made your inset kitchen cabinets? Just started reno discussions and loved your kitchen!

• Design Girl
    last year

@SHarper - My cabinets were custom made by a cabinet maker. I found the price almost the same as high quality cabinets you'd get from a kitchen showroom. These custom cabinets were better in that they were made with 1 inch thick boxes.

• SHarper
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thank you! I'm in the middle of Iowa and searching for quality inset cabinets for my area. I appreciate your reply :)

• r
    9 months ago

The Gag vario 400 series induction36 in cooktop has the knobs in front as well. It is not a Freedom top as the other Gag vario 400 series is, so I am torn.... I really want the knobs.

• wdccruise
    9 months ago

Gaggenau VI492613 400 Series Vario Flex Induction Cooktop ($6400) for what is basically the Bosch Benchmark NITP660SUC ($3450) without the knobs.

• r
    9 months ago

sigh... you are right....

• awm03
    9 months ago

r, have you had a digital control cooktop before? When looking for an induction cooktop several years ago, I too wanted knobs. The posters here said water splashes made digital controls go wonky or that cold fingers were a problem and they liked the simplicity of knobs. I got a Wolf with digital controls, though, & don't have trouble with the supposed issues.

I've just come back from vacation where the rental had a gas range with knobs in front. I am so over knobs. Grease splatters on them. I pulled them off to soak in soapy water & cleaned the grease from the knob area, which is perfectly doable, but missed the ease & speed of cleaning digital controls.

• Miranda33
    9 months ago

@Design Girl I love your kitchen, it's beautiful. I also would love the Fulgor Milano induction rangetop, but it does not appear to be sold anywhere near me, and I live in a HCOL suburb of a very large city, so one would think it would be sold someplace in the surrounding 50 miles. The Fulgor Milano website lists several places it is sold in my area, but when I go on those websites, they appear not to carry Fulgor Milano any longer. I don't think that is a reflection of problems with Fulgor Milano. It is probably due to not selling enough of them for the stores to give Fulgor Milano valuable floor space, or their salespeople to spend time on when brands like Wolf, Thermador, etc. are higher sellers. That is my theory anyway. I will have to look at cooktops instead of that rangetop for induction.

• r
    9 months ago

awm03 thank you for your insight into the knob story! The cold reality of wdccruise's observation is helping cure me of the knob obsession! Thank you wdccruise! I think Gag is admitting they are on their way out by not giving them as an option on the new 400 vario 36" freedom. TPG seems like it is worth consideration, but they are not in the US yet. So I am back to the Thermador/Gag Freedom - same price and the Wolf. I am off to look at them today. Any more awesome insights about this triad from anyone? Just want to add I really appreciate you all!!

• Design Girl
    9 months ago

@Miranda33 - I am in a suburb of NYC and had a hard time as well. I was able to connect with a representative who said they were coming to the area to speak with a large appliance store regarding their brand. I was able to see the range top in their trailer on display. The store then ordered it for me. I have to say I am more than thrilled with it. I agree that the stores stock the products that sell more, however, you can't sell if the customer can not see it. Knowing what I know now, I would not hesitate to order the FM from an online seller like AJMadison. It is heavy duty, incredibly well made and also thoughtfully designed. The temperature control is outstanding. If you really want a range top with knobs I would not hesitate.

• HU-16168550092
    9 months ago

@r, I thought I would chime in here to just say that I don’t think you are “obsessing“ at all regarding the use of knobs in this case. One of the most crucial variables in any kind of industrial design is the way we interface or interact with whatever the product is. Most of us utilize capacitive touch controls or infrared type touch controls on a constant basis with everything from iPads, smart phones, as well as any number of house appliances. But I would suggest that your instinct regarding cooktop or rangetop controls makes a lot of sense. Consider the difference in using a wall oven versus a cooktop. Most cooks in the kitchen can get the opportunity to wipe their hands in order to use touch capacitive controls on a wall oven. Of course, the case could be made that turning a simple dial, can be more intuitive, then going through a series of menus to get to where you want to go, since in the end, the mission of the wall oven has not really changed very much since our grandparents time which is essentially to bake the cake or roast the chicken. The reason I suspect that cook tops and range tops, as well as ranges are a particularly good candidate for knobs is due to the fact that the controls are often placed on a horizontal plane. Many people, especially those who are new to induction appliances for example, have learned a hard lesson as the very sensitive touch controls do not always take kindly to steam, water, droplets, and oil or gravy splatters. It is not hard to imagine why this is problematic because if you put any of these liquids on top of your smart phone screen, you would discover that the touch controls that works so beautifully such as the ones I’m using right now on my iPhone to create this post do not take kindly to having these substances on top of them. There are lots of examples of folks who have touch capacitive controls on these horizontal locations where the entire appliance is either shut down or thrown off its game. Of course, the majority of modern products that have knobs do not use the analog/mechanical controls of knobs of the past, but are in fact, “knobs“ that interface with micro control boards behind them. Still, there is an entire field of design that studies user interaction, and I do think that, at least, in some instances, such as with cooktops, knobs actually, do make a lot of sense. One can certainly debate where the best location for those knobs would be to avoid getting splatters on them since Cleaning knobs is not exactly, a fun time for most folks. Some people would assume that installing Touch Sensitive controls in all sorts of consumer products that once used knobs, levers, and buttons, is simply a design trend, and I’m sure there is truth to that. But a little voice inside also suggests to me, that one of the reasons they have moved away from knobs and especially the electromechanical kinds used in the past, is due to the cost of manufacturing. I do not have a data set to support this theory, but if you consider the labour and the bewildering amount of copper wiring that went into something such as a 1950 electric stove, some of which had lots of extra features, you can begin to imagine the cost savings of having a micro “motherboard“ taking the place of all that complex analogue electrical structure. I truly enjoy all of the benefits and possibilities that I have with my smart phone, laptop, iPads, etc. But I do think your instincts for knobs are not without merit, because sometimes, appliance designers attempt to answer questions that no one ever asked. My two. Cents 🤔.

• awm03
    9 months ago

I always cook with a microfiber cloth -- or two or three -- at hand: to wipe my hands, to clean up as I chop & cook, to use as pot holders. I dab at spills, splatters, & mess as they occur, kind of a quirk of mine. Dabbing at the controls sometimes makes it beep & blink, but you learn to ignore it, & if you have to reset it, so what -- it takes a second.

Also, as you gain a feel for the cooktop, you learn the best settings for controlled boiling so your pots don't splash much anymore anyway. Another change of habit -- lifting lids so the moisture drains back into the pot, then placing the lid on the counter. Before, I would mindlessly hold the lid over the cooktop, dripping all over the controls. Have to say after two years, the digital controls aren't nearly as finicky as I'd feared. I am over knobs.

• L C
    7 months ago

Awm03
    I am thinking of a Wolf induction cooktop. I watched some YouTube videos where the induction cooktops make loud humming noises. Is that something you have experienced?

• awm03
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

I hear a low tsssk noise with my Kirkland disc bottom pots & my Tramontina tri ply stock pots. I can't hear it after awhile. I don't know if that's because the metals heat up & the vibrations stop rubbing against each other, or because I turn on the overhead vent or the pots are bubbling or sizzling, or whether I just tune it out. Maybe all of that. It's really quiet. My cast iron skillets & dutch ovens are completely silent.

I finally heard the cooling fans recently. I opened the cabinet doors underneath & stuck my head in to clean in the back corner, & that's the only time I've noticed there are cooling fans going.

• V J
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Hi, I tried the Wolf 36” induction cooktop at their showroom and heard a high frequency buzzing sound. They told it could be due to pots/pans material and not the range. I returned with an ensemble of all-clad, demeyre, and cast iron, and the sound persisted. Has anyone experienced this? I don’t have a way to try Themador new induction range in Seattle, so not sure what to do now. As noted earlier, Miele is 30”only and I plan to the same experiment on Miele this weekend, although I’m craving 36. Perhaps i can get used to the sound, but not combo of Wolf brand +$12k+sound. Ideas/advice appreciated.

• wdccruise
    5 months ago

@V J: "I’m craving 36...Ideas/advice appreciated."

*identical except appearance

• HU-299124215
    5 months ago

Unfortunately this string didn't or wasn't able to address one of the primary concerns people have about induction stoves: longterm/reliability ! Induction is becoming popular in USA but didn't really begin catching on in noticeable numbers until very recent years. Therefore it may be hard to come by reliability/service reports ! In my experience both Thermador & Wolf are good brands. Wolf is heads/shoulders above in terms of quality/reliability on the more "classic" configurations, so no idea how well Wolf induction will hold up. Thermador uses Bosch technology for its induction & European Bosch customers have used induction for quite some time now. Thermador is NOT as responsive about "service" or "parts" issues though.

• HU-299124215
    5 months ago

BTW, all induction stovetops do incur some 'buzzing" sound due to the magnets & how the vibration of them interacts with what style/shape/weight of pans are sitting on it. Some brands seem to insulate/mask the sound much better than others; sometimes the sound is so very slight that most people can't hear it; and sometimes it seems almost random. That said, while I am very sound-sensitive myself, sometimes I barely notice it. Again, this tends to be brand distinction though. It may not be the quality of the magnetics, rather the money/priority different manufacturers "spend" on niceties such as insulation and noise-reduction.