SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Heady Fragrances and other nice things ....

It's been years since I planted Sweet Peas, but I'm so glad I did this year. These came from a package of Old Spice Mix. The seeds, though planted later than recommended, have produced extremely fragrant flowers over a long time period ...

The colors are incredible and range from pinks, blues, mauves, maroons, bi-colors and about everything in between. Standing close enough to take pictures is a heady experience as the scent wafts through the garden and even into the windows at night ...

Star Jasmine is another whose scent wafts big time. I was admiring the individual ruffled pin wheel shaped flowers that are produced so abundantly and noticed an iddy bitty bug inside ...

Here's a close up. I love finding so much joyous life among the flowers ...

A tree that you don't hear much about is the Aroya Sweet Wood, but I'll sing it's praises far and wide. The rich woody cinnamon scent wafts from the leaves of this graceful tree when the wind blows and is especially strong during the long bloom period. Bees and butterflies love it, but were too far at the top of the tree to photograph today ...

The Pipe Vine Swallowtails, which use the Dutchman's Pipe Vine as their larvae food source, are a little slow coming this year which gave the vine a chance to show off it's incredibly interesting bloom. That little red dot in the throat is a tiny insect not noticed when the photo was snapped, but I went back out with a magnifying glass later and confirmed it was not a flower part, but a friendly little visitor ...

Passiflora Caerulea is planted especially for Gulf Fritillary butterflies to lay their eggs on. The beautifully detailed bloom only lasts a day, but I like how the buds are all lined up in a row awaiting their turn to open ...

When I see something like these silky folds of the iris bloom I think of the Bible verse that says "Consider the lilies of the field. Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these." ...

Happy gardening!

Comments (7)