SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyp

Musings on Fragrance

harmonyp
11 years ago

Not feeling very articulate this morning, but have been thinking a lot lately about fragrance, and the effect it has on me and apparently on others. And thought it would be interesting to try to converse with the ultimate connoisseurs of fragrance in words, on something that seems to transcend words.

I had my nose in Stainless Steel, Chrysler Imperial, Double Delight, Elle, Twilight Zone, Fragrant Cloud, Japanese Honeysuckle, and Star Jasmine this morning. As I imbibe each one, I'm just not sure how to quantify or qualify what I feel. The pleasure is so intense. Unlike something we can see and stare at, or hear and listen to over and over again - and even touch which to me is quantifiable and repeatable - fragrance is so ... so fleeting, so transient, so intangible.

I strive to continually add awesome fragrances to the garden. I sniff and sniff, but can never seem to sniff enough (garden perversion?) I have the most difficult time describing what I smell. And unlike other senses where it seems people sense the same things in similar ways, fragrance also seems to be perceived so ... individually.

How do you describe that hypnotic quality of fragrance. What is it that drives us to seek it out? What is it's magic?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company