SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Easter Basket--my substitute Peace rose?

dublinbay z6 (KS)
10 years ago

Years ago, I tried several times to grow Peace, which to me is absolutely one of the most beautiful roses. Its delicates shades of pastel yellow and slight pink flush, all on an ivory background, are without compare. So why did I quit growing Peace? Blackspot!!!!!!

I have now found a rose--a floribunda called Easter Basket--that colorwise captures a bit of the pale yellow and pink flush that Peace does so beautifully. True, Easter Basket's blooms are only about half the size of Peace's blooms--and probably have only half the number of petals a Peace bloom has--but the subtle, delicate shadings are kind of Peace-like. And guess what--Easter Basket is VERY DISEASE-RESISTANT!

See what you think in these pics. I should warn you, however, that my camera insists on darkening the yellow a bit more than it is on the actual bush--much more pastel effect in real life.

Easter Basket (floribunda)
{{gwi:217627}}

What's really cool about Easter Basket (and quite dissimilar to Peace) is that this floribunda is constantly changing colors and the various shades appear simultaneously on the bush. Like--what color is this rose? LOL
{{gwi:1273098}}

And it is VERY DISEASE-RESISTANT! What a deal!

Kate

This post was edited by dublinbay on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 23:55

Comments (16)