SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merlena87

Asking for input on healthy roses

Sara-Ann Z6B OK
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm wondering which rose bushes you have that remain healthy looking throughout the growing season? Pictured here are Sunsprite and Our Lady of Guadalupe. Other notable ones that continue to look healthy are Beverly, Midas Touch, Poseidon and Orchid Romance. Even my Julia Child and Belinda's Dream have had some blackspot, although not too bad, Francis Meilland is reasonably healthy and there are others too. Some of the worst offenders for blackspot have been Peace (I knew that was coming), Pope John Paul II, Fragrant Plum, Tiffany and Pink Peace. I have come to the realization that some roses I hadn't had an issue with for blackspot haven't fared too well as the season progresses. Is this a really bad year? We've had some warm temps, but also a cooler than normal May with rain of course and high humidity, the high humidity is normal here. I'm wondering if I should totally do away with the most blackspot prone, or just learn to deal with it? Right now I'm considering totally redoing my front yard rose bed and plant only varieties that I know are resistant. I have a huge backyard on the east side of my house and I'm also wondering if I planted some of the roses I like to cut, which are blackspot prone if they would be a problem for the more disease resistant varieties? Right now I need some input. I want my roses to be healthy.

Comments (31)