SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctlady_gw

Mystery (wild) flower and daylily dilemma

ctlady_gw
16 years ago

I have two questions for you GW whizzes: first, I have a crop of unknown wildflowers that have sprung up along the edge of a wooded area (but in a newly established bed along a path abutting the woods) -- I'm sure they're wild things of some sort, and fairly sure I don't want them around, but I would like to know how seriously I need to work at removing them (and if they are at all poisonous to a new puppy). I've googled yellow CT wildflowers til I'm blue in the face and can't find these. They are quite large, about 3 feet tall, small inocuous yellow buttercup-shaped flowers that close up tight at night, and these weird spiked seed (I assume?) pods, separate on the stems from the flowers. Big heart-shaped leaves. Anyone know what they are and whether I want them?

{{gwi:1087509}}

My second question is a daylily dilemma: something is "snipping" (for lack of a better term -- they look for all the world as if someone took a clipper to them: neat, angled slice) about 4-6 inch lengths of daylilies, then leaving the snipped stem on the ground next to the plant. No buds, no flowers munched... just a neatly sliced stem, almost all nearly exactly the same length. Not ALL the stalks on a given plant, just a few. And these lilies are very tall -- probably a good 4 feet. I would say deer (which are definitely around our area) but why wouldn't they eat the flowers, at least on the ones they snip off? And how would they make such a neat, almost "dainty" slice in the stem without damaging adjoining stems. What else would do this? Here's a picture of one casualty, a "top" about 6 inches long, retrieved from the ground next to a plant which still had another 4-5 stems perfectly intact:

{{gwi:1087510}}

Kind of has to be deer, right? But why aren't they eating the flowers????

Comments (9)