SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madspinner

Clearance Peonies from G.H. Wild arrive!

madspinner
18 years ago

These are peonies I ordered in Spring from a Gilbert H. Wild Clearance Flier. 22 varieties for $90.00, I just couldn't pass it up. Too good a deal.

I did read about the company on Dave's Garden Watchdog first, but most of the peony feedback was good. So I got out my creditcard and made my bet.

Well, they finally arrived last week. I was quite pleased overall. The divisions were plump and firm, no shrivellies or mold to be seen. Most were excellent size. A few were smaller, but not smaller than from boxed stores, and certainly in better shape. Many had TONS of buds. I think I only saw ONE that only had 3 buds.

I planted all mine in gallon to 5 gallon size pots because my beds are not ready for them. Very few were small enough to fit in the gallon size pots. One or two barely fit in the 5 gallon pots!

How true to type do you folks think these will be? I hear they are bad about mislabeling on daylilies, but I havn't heard anything about that on peonies yet. My free daylily looked pretty sad. I'll plant it anyway but I don't hold out much hope.

Here is the list of peonies I got. I especially liked that many were old varieties, as my roses are mostly antiques.

Amabilis-------------wild rose pink double

Better times---------deep rose pink double

Bo Peep--------------cherry red japanese type

Couronne d'Or--------White tipped red double

Duchess de Orleans---Deep pink double

Edulis Superba-------bright pink double early

Fairbanks------------pale pink to white japanese type

Festiva Maxima-------white streaked red early double

Francis Ortega-------deep crimson double late

Gardenia-------------White double

George W. Payton-----Pale buff with pink double

Guidon---------------lilac pink

Kansas---------------bright rosey red double, early

Kathryn Fontryn------Light rose pink double

Lady Alexander Duff--French white blush

Louis Van Houtte-----Double cherry red late

Madame de Vernville--White with blush double

Mischeif-------------single pink yellow stamens

Paul M Wild----------velvet red double

Shirley Temple-------pale pink fades white double

Solonge--------------creamy white with pink double

There is one more, a substitution for Myra McRae, but I don't have my list in front of me, so I don't remember what they sent instead.

Another nice thing, is that only two of these are varieties I already have, and I don't mind having more!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths