SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manature

Pity Party in Sanford....

manature
16 years ago

I'm sniveling tonight! I just found out today that I'm going to have to have surgery on BOTH feet over the spring, and each recovery time will put me out of commission for gardening or being on my feet for quite a few weeks! Waaaah! I've been missing my garden so much while I've been taking care of my mother and getting ready for Christmas, and now I think I might miss most of the SPRING, too! Tain't fair, I tell ya! (What do YOU guys do when you have to let your garden go for several months at a time?)

However, after reading Cindee's inspiration posts, I know I'll live through it, and the good news is, the terrible pain in my feet which has plagued me for a very long time (and lately become so bad I can't wear shoes at all, hardly) will be GONE! So that's a good thing, right? I go barefooted all day long, even in cold weather, because the nerve damage has reached a point where even socks hurt. After looking at the extent of the arthritis in my toes (bone on bone) and the bone spur on the top of my foot, I now understand exactly why.

I will just have to enjoy all of YOUR gardens while I'm getting well. And who knows? Maybe I'll figure out some way to set myself up in a chair or something so I can weed or plant. Where there's a will.......

Another good thing is that my mother is doing very well, and probably will not need further procedures at this time, not even a pacemaker. If nothing else goes wrong, the doctor will probably release her for travel on Jan 16, and she can go back home.

So even though I'm grousing and grumbling, in the end, it will all be good.

Hope you are all ready for Christmas and planning happy times with your families! I'm looking forward to seeing my grandbaby, the magical Tabitha Faye, on the 26th, and my daughter is flying home for a week on Jan. 3, so I'm pretty happy about that!

Have a happy countdown to Christmas, y'all!

Marcia

Comments (30)

• countrynest
    16 years ago

Oh Marcia...
    So sorry to hear about the party.
    But you are a very strong woman. You will feel so much better after the procedure and the healing process. I will keep you in my prayers. Maybe Sylvia will bake you a "flan" and visit you and help you with some garden work. I'm sure Nikki will also help. Hey, you know you have friends that love you.

Felix

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    16 years ago

ah, marcia, that's very sad to hear. i know how upset you were, already, about not tending your garden, and now you'll have to sit on the sidelines during spring! let's hope that the surgeries go even better than expected, and that by summer you're dancing thru the garden.

i'll be interested in responses to your question about what to do when you're leaving your garden more or less untended for a long period. things change (grow, sprout, die) at such a fervid pace here in FLA... even when i'm gone only for a few days during the summer, i'm struck by how things get out of bounds and need a good trimming. any local boys (or girls!) whom you'd trust to handle a pair of pruners?

hmm... you need a garden robot!

• Related Discussions

You're invited ... to my Pity Party

Q

Comments (18)
    I sure know how you feel. Stoney, look at that time as a gift. We don't always get that special extra time with our grown "kids." I know you'll miss him, but be proud of him because he has pulled himself up with love and support from the family, and that is really special. 3-1/2 hours is not so much, and you can see him often. You could even both drive and meet mid-way for an afternoon or whatever. Our sons visit often, but I always feel a tiny bit of sadness in a corner of my heart when they go. But here's a HUG for you because you are feeling sad. Glad things are turning out ok for your DS. Susan
    ...See More

Food Pity Party

Q

Comments (60)
    Sally, I think your dad's term 'bully beef' is a historical one; that term is what the British soldiers used to refer to canned corned beef. (That's what I get for reading too many British war novels. I can recite most of that un-PC poem 'Gunga Din', as well.) I've never had S-O-S. Can anyone post a reasonably authentic version of the legendary glop, like what you would have gotten in an Army mess tent? Waldorf salad, ambrosia...don't care if I ever see any of those again. Likewise divinity fudge. Hated that stuff. (As I type this, though, I'm eating a slice of Red Velvet Cake.) Here is a link that might be useful: British rations 1880s to 1918
    ...See More

To Dear Sue_Va...Re your pity party

Q

Comments (4)
    Susan, what a sweetheart you are to think about me and the dilemma I'm in. That is a gorgeous dress and the blue is a perfect color. For this wedding, though, it is too beautiful! The wedding will be in a very old, rustic setting in a historical Chapel that sits at the top of the mountain on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'm afraid the long dress would not make it through the grass and stony walkway up the wooden steps to and into the old wooden structure, where the pews are also old and wooden. Thank you ever so much. Sue
    ...See More

My pity party's over. Does anyone recognize this fabric?

Q

Comments (8)
    Lisa_a- that is a nice fabric, but I don't think it's the one I'm looking for since it has no yellow. The reason I'm so hung up on this particular fabric is because it has the aqua, citron, yellow, khaki, and cream that I love. I was really depending on this fabric to tie my accessories together. I guess I'm just going to have to try to find something different with the same colors in it. I love Amy Butler fabrics but I haven't seen them in person and I'm not 100% sure the ones I like contain the right colors. However, Waverly does have a fabric similar to the other fabric (it comes in mineral and mist I think). Instead of brown the lattice pattern is cream. That could work and it's on sale right now. Thanks again and I'm open to substitute fabrics with the same color scheme that is not necessarily a stripe. I love kitchens with relatively neutral choices and bold fabrics.
    ...See More
  • manature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Felix & Ill! I'm feeling much better today. I know I will be so happy to have this constant pain gone, and my life will improve dramatically after the surgery, so it's all good!

Yes, please, folks...tell us what you do when you have to abandon your garden for a long time. Just let it run amuck and deal with it later? Hire someone to do some of the work? (I could certainly supervise while on crutches or from my chair). Any experiences in this regard?

Ill, you are so right. Even when I'm working in the garden fairly regularly, it is hard to keep up with everything. Stuff runs wild before you know it, and it seems like I'm always behind on the maintenance bits.

Suggestions, anyone?

Marcia

• fl_southpaw
    16 years ago

Oh, Marcia:

I am so sorry to hear about your pain. You are always so upbeat and kind, it is evil to hear the demons are having their way with your feet!!! You were one of the first to make me feel welcome on this site and you will be in my prayers and you have my best wishes.

Garden maintenence suggestions? I'm too new to have any; wish I could be of more use. What I know about gardens I learned here (and from reading THE SECRET GARDEN-that garden was neglected for years and it came back. Of course, that was northern England and fictional.)

BTW, I don't suppose you knew anyone named Broach who lived on Iroquois, did you?

Good luck and God's speed,
    Julie in WPB

• maureen155
    16 years ago

Marcia,

I've been practicing single-footed gardening since July when I broke a bone and damaged the tendon and ligaments in my left foot. I wear a brace and can walk on the foot, but bending and getting up and down to garden is a challenge. I've taken a few spills in the garden, but after several months of this, I'm getting pretty good at alternative gardening methods.

Last Spring, before this happened, I put a thick layer of mulch on all my gardens. That helped a lot in keeping the weeds at bay through the summer months. Plus I discovered that you can garden just fine sitting on your butt :)

This Fall, my Mom's neighbor came and spread another thick layer of mulch over the gardens. I had done some weeding, but things were looking pretty ugly. The mulch killed most of the weeds, and those that poked through I could pull easily from my ground station. And I freely admit to the use of Round-Up in areas where the weeds were particularly persistent.

Getting up and down without the help of your feet is a trick, but if you're adventurous, there's always a way. That's where knees come in handy! A stool that you can get up and down from is also very helpful. And garden helpers are like angels.

Maureen

• countrynest
    16 years ago

Marcia and ...
    When I had the massive stroke in the early summer of 2001 I spent a little over a month in the hospital and Shands rehab.
    I had to learn to walk,speech. When I finally got off the wheel chair and was able to walk with a cane and no feelings on the left parts of my body, I came home. While I was gone several men from our church came over to mow and do weeding of the big stuff. It was a very rainy summer. Tarzan, my beautiful parrot died of neglect. My poor wife was fired from her job and had to take over everything,.Yet She went
    to visit me all the way in Gainesville almost on a daily basis. I found my garden over run with weeds blocking the view of the flowering plants which had gotten leggy and I lost several expensive day lilies.several months past before
    I was able to get down on my knees to weed. Bringing back the garden has been the best rehab. I just took my time and thank God that my life was spared. Now life is so much more precious to me. Our gardens are so forgiving. Cry a little it is ok. Give up NEVER! Pray for each other and be there for each other.Just the thought of knowing that your fellow gardeners care means allot. Just ask Cindee. Right Cindee?

Felix

• lynne_melb
    16 years ago

Marcia,
    Sorry to hear this. I haven't been here too much, so I didn't know that you were caring for your mother.

I have a bad back, so I hire one of the teenagers in the neighborhood to do pruning, etc. It works well. We didn't know anyone when we moved here, so I would be outside when the school bus was dropping kids off, and I found the guys that way

Good luck and hang in there.
    Lynne

• SusieQsie_Fla
    16 years ago

Hi Marcia
    I'm so glad that modern medicine can fix your feet so you can walk pain-free! This spring and summer will go by faster than you think (even though it won't seem like it at times) and you will be good as new.
    I broke my foot in May and hobbled around in a cast til July. The weeds got the upper hand, but I was able to play around slowly.
    I think they make a seat on wheels that will put you at ground level and you could scoot with your hands on your paved paths. It would be kinda fun!
    Anyways, I wish I lived back in Seminole County again and then I could come over and do your bidding. I haven't done any REAL gardening since we moved down here, so putting a shovel in the ground would actually be a thrill for me!

We'll all be thinking and praying for you here at the GW.

Love, Susie

• manature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys are the best! Thanks for all your encouragement. If I am able to have a walking cast, I will be fine, but the last time I had foot surgery, they cut ligaments in order to lengthen them, and I had a cast to my knee and had to stay in a wheelchair almost the whole 8 weeks. I could use a crutch to get to the couch or into the bed, but no walking at all was allowed. This was more than 15 years ago, so I'm hoping the recovery for this type of surgery using today's techniques will be easier. She mentioned something about 3 months, but I'm not sure what restrictions will apply during that time. Will find out more when I go back and see if I have to have the bone spur done right away or not. If the shots work, and that pain goes away, I can schedule the toe surgeries for later in the spring. That way, I can get out there after my mother goes home and work like crazy to mulch and get stuff ready for my "time off."

I appreciate the suggestions, and Maureen, I didn't know you were hobbling, Dear Heart! I hope you are well on the way to being 100% again! Thank goodness you can walk somewhat with your cast. I'm praying I will have that kind, too. I do NOT want to be wheelchair bound for 3 months, each foot. ACK!!!

But I know that I life will be MUCH better when this is all taken care of.

Thanks again, everybody. It does my heart good to hear such kind and supportive things. And Julie, thanks for your sweet comments, too. Felix, you know I appreciate you, every day, all the time, mi amigo! You and Sylvia are always in my prayers, and I'm so happy that you made such a remarkable recovery from your stroke. You and Mark, both!

GWer's are DA BOMB!!!

Marcia

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Marcia, my Friend, I'm so sorry to hear about the surgery but I'm sure you will come out of it feeling much better and stronger. You have been such an emotional help to me over the past couple of years that I would love to be able to return the favor by being a physical help in your yard. You know I love your garden! I'll give you at least two days of hard weeding work - that will get you through a couple weekends. All you need to do is supply the after-weeding-wine! How about it?
    Kate

• trini1trini
    16 years ago

Hi Marcia,
    So sorry to hear about your dilemma. That must be troubling. Not to worry, we GWers are going to be here to brighten your days.
    Trini-

• manature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, Kate, you crazy lady, you! You are ON!! Even if it turns out I'm able to do more than I think, it would be great to have your company in the yard. I'll keep you posted! And thanks for such a generous offer. I'll make sure to have some wine chillin'!!

And Trini, you are so right that the GWers brighten my day! My life has been so enriched by this group!! I cherish all the friends I've met here, and some in particular that I have become especially close to. Thanks for your kind comments!

Marcia

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Marcia, I am holding your feet in my hands. You will be amazed what these docs can do to make our lives so much more worthwhile. Be positive, babe. It will be over faster than you know and you will wonder..."why did I wait so long???" Let me know if you need me, girl!

• manature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I knew my feet felt better tonight!! Thanks for holding them, Cindee...you're hired!! Can you please do this every night??

Thanks for all your encouraging words, but mostly, thanks for setting such a good example. Reading about how well you are doing and seeing what a positive attitude you have was very inspirational. I knew then I could surely get through these relatively minor (if very inconvenient) surgeries with no problems. And hey, I survived my carotid artery surgery with flying colors, which is surely a much more serious operation. (Recovery wasn't bad, though. Not too much in the way of restrictions at all.) But I know I can do this, and since you've got my back, it will be a piece of cake! Mostly.

Marcia

• lakeron
    16 years ago

During your post-surgery recovery you can take inspiration from watching the 'weeds' grow. Despite GWrs best attempts to eliminate them, they continue to survive and thrive. Go forth and do likewise.
    ron

• manature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's all in how you look at it, eh, Ron? I will try to look at the thriving weeds as a lesson in tenacity and hardiness, and bloom where I'm planted...even if I'm planted in a wheelchair for awhile! Good advice, thanks!!

Marcia

• annafl
    16 years ago

Marcia, glad to hear you will soon have your feet feeling better than ever. Your bali hut is the perfect recovery place. You will have to set up some things to do out there. The garden is therapy of every type, you know. Use this spring as an observatory spring. Get a notebook and take notes of all the happenings in your garden, and this will prove to be helpful at other times when you are able to plant and get about. Trini is right. We will all be here to give you gardening fixes throughout your recovery period.

Anna

• manature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anna, you have given me a great idea! I WILL fix up the Bali Hut as a place to read (gardening mags and books on pond design, etc, for starters). It will be a good "command post" for my SLAVE ARMY!! (Ooooh, Kaaaate...that MIGHT be YOU!)

Thanks again, guys! I love you all!

Marcia

• wlsflowers
    16 years ago

Marcia,

Sorry to hear you will be out of the garden for a few months :( Glad to hear you'll be getting rid of the pain though. Since we're neighbors, I'd be happy to drop off some of my gardening books for you to peruse during your recovery.

Hope you are doing well!

Wendy

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

poor Marcia, I feel with you!!!

maybe we should organize a weeding party? ;-)

Evelyn

• solstice98
    16 years ago

This is sounding better all the time! I can just see you set up in the Bali hut, reading gardening mags and getting all kinds of grand ideas. You'll be shouting out orders that Evelyn and I ignore. The dogs will be running amok and the the cats will be watching through the screen wondering why humans are so strange. Yes, it sounds like a party to me!

Kate

• newbee_2006
    16 years ago

Marcia, I just read your post. Sending wishes your way for good health in the New Year. I've grabbed kids walking near my house when they get off the school bus. Maybe you could get one of them to help you. Or send them to the library for gardening books. Good luck. I'll be thinking of you.

Barbara

• countrynest
    16 years ago

No grabbing children,Marcia. unless they consent and then do not take their youth essence. Hocus pocus !HA HA HA Hee Hee Hee !
    Count down to a Happy New Year to all.
    This is what we will be doing New Years day.
    In picture is My daughter and her four boys.
    Felix

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Marcia,
    My loving Ma And Coleus Queen.
    I have no doubt that you'll be feeling so much better after the surgery.
    I'll also be your slave for a day!
    Let us know what day.
    Sounds like a wonderful event, to celebrate your recovery.
    Please be content to sit on your throne as we bring gardening tools, plants to share and some snacks.
    You must do nothing! But supervise.
    What do you think?
    If I'm being too forward, please say so.
    In any case I wish you a very speedy recovery.
    Love, Tree

• scents_from_heaven
    16 years ago

Marcia, we could plan a weed swap at your house where we bring gardening tools and take all your weeds away. I think we should be able to round up enough gardeners to assist with your weeding here and there and to keep you company and be at your beck and call. Let us know when and where and we will be there. Linda

• barbcoleus
    16 years ago

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Probably surgical techniques have changed since the last time you had some. Maybe you should talk to your doctor and let him know your concerns and maybe he'll clarify.
    But remember weeds will always be there for you and they will bring their friends (this is supposed to be funny)
    Barb

• manature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys are super! David, you are too kind! I promise I will let you know if I need some help, but I am hoping that with the new techniques available, I won't be TOO restricted in what I can do. Barb, I'm seeing the doctor again on the 16th to see how my nerve damage is responding to the cortisone treatments, and I will get all the info at that time on what the other surgery will entail. We didn't go into it on my last visit, as the priority at that time was getting some immediate relief from the extreme pain in the top of my right foot. But never fear. I will have all the particulars down pat before I consent to the procedures.

The only thing I know she mentioned was a "3-month recovery time" for each foot. But that could be anything from a full cast to a walking cast to just restricted use after the first week or something like that. It might not be anywhere near as bad as last time (I hope, I hope).

But you guys are so nice to offer to come help me out! I can't believe it! And now that Kate and David have made it sound like so much fun...well. I may have to have you all come over, even if I'm in no need whatsoever! Who could resist? The company would be superb!

In the meantime, I've noticed that my nerve pain (as opposed to the arthritis) is not bothering me nearly as often, though I still can't put a shoe on that even touches the top of my foot. I CAN walk better than before the shot, but when it does hurt, it hurts MORE. Don't know what any of that means. Maybe another shot or two would make it go away. Will let y'all know after the 16th.

Don't worry. You can't keep a gal like me down for long! Thanks for all your well wishes.

Hugs to ALL!
    Marcia

• manature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, Tree...I forgot to tell you, I shared some of your famous tomato seeds with Gardengrl, who lives near me. She is a gourmet cook and bakes and cans all the time, and I thought she would love to have some special home-grown tomatoes for canning, salsas, and her special tomato jam (which is to die for!) She stopped by over Christmas and brought me such wonderful goodies I couldn't BELIEVE it! Her fig preserves and orange marmalade (from her own oranges) are heavenly. Actually, everything she makes is.

Anyway, I thought you might be interested to know that some of your really special tomatoes will have another home in this area.

Marcia

• SaintPFLA
    16 years ago

Hey there Marcia,

I'm sorry to hear that you will have to have surgery but happy to hear that you will be pain-free eventually. I too have issues with my feet and know how much pain that can cause you and my Dr. says surgery is in my future as well.

Just remember, any weeds that come during your rehab time will also bring more birds and wildlife for your viewing pleasure.

The garden will always be an available canvas for you to paint when you are able to do so.

I will keep you in my prayers and wish you the best and speedy recovery.

• manature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Aw, thanks, SaintP! That's so sweet of you. My yard is full of Spanish needle right now, and I've been telling myself how happy the butterflies are, even if I'm not! Guess that philosophy will continue to work, if need be.

Hope your foot problems get resolved soon, too. It can wreck your whole day when it hurts to walk. NO FUN!!! But help is in the cards, so I'm gonna be fine, and I know you will be, too, when the time is right for you to have your problem taken care of.

Marcia