SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psittacine

Roasting/canning tomatoes, peppers and onions

psittacine
15 years ago

I have too many large, bland, watery, ugly heirloom tomatoes to just pitch them out... and quite a few bells/peppers and some onions (green and immatures) that I'd like to use somewhere other than my compost pile. I'm always short on time and would like to use most up in one shot since I already have pounds of peppers in the freezer. I've been searching for recipes that use tomatoes with larger amounts of peppers and onions. I found 2 in the 2008 Ball Blue Book - Creole Sauce and Spiced Tomato Soup. I plan on OMMITING some of the items to suit my needs: In the Creole Sauce if I use it - 1/2 c. celery, parsley, sugar, marjoram ... or from the Soup if I use that recipe - 2 1/2 c. celery, 1 c. carrots, bay leaves, cloves and sugar. This leaves what I want: tomatoes, peppers, onions and garlic and a small amount of salt. A little more garlic might be better, but can live with that. However I'll probably 'chance it' and add 3-4 small additional garlic cloves in the stead of removed items. ;-D

I feel whichever recipe I chose to use, it will be safe to process in the recommended way for either of the adulterated recipes... pressure canned.

The question is that I would like to measure, ROAST EVERYTHING for extra flavor and to thicken up tomatoes, then can. Would it be safe to do it this way?

The Creole Sauce calls for thickening it up by slow cooking... the Tomato soup does not. The Tomato Soup calls for pureeing, the creole Sauce does not. Does the fact that I want to roast/thicken it have a significant impact on whether or not it will be safe? What if I wish to puree it such as flavored seasoned tomato sauce? Will the consistent density matter?

NOTE: Neither recipe calls for additional acid of any kind! I read each recipe several, times thinking that I should have already had those durned cataracts removed. But, none there.

Thanks for any input!

Crystal

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths