SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
got_bullmastiff

how badly did I screw up here?

got_bullmastiff
15 years ago

So, I went to make the Pickled Beets recipe in the Ball Book (the fat one).

I should have followed my gut when I looked at that pickling liquid and thought "well, that's not enough for 10 cups of beets!".. but went ahead anyway...

So, I get my liquid boiling.. jars are staying hot in the canner...

Add beets, boil and then start adding beets to jars.. get 5 1/2 jars filled (I know not to can the 1/2 jar) and go to add pickling liquid and big shocker, I run out after three pint jars... sheesh!

What I did was, put lids on the three that had liquid (and FORGOT to remove air bubbles.. I'm hoping these three are ok) and popped them back in the canner which was just hot and on a low burner.

Then made MORE pickling liquid and put the beets in the other jars BACK into the pot with the new batch of liquid to warm them up again and brought to a boil.

In the meantime, I washed the jars and ran them under SUPER hot water...

Then refilled the remaining jars with the beets, and topped off with liquid and DID remember to remove air bubbles.. which didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Processed ALL jars (except the 1/2 filled one.. that went into the fridge after it cooled) together for 30 minutes per instructions.

I think I'm OK because I kept everything hot or reheated things.

What do you think? Everything sealed beautifully... but I know that doesn't always mean I'm ok..

Comments (14)