SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

I screwed up badly! Now I must buy $$$ fridge

breezygirl
12 years ago

Yet another problem tonight. It's completely my fault since I drew the layout and gave measurements to the framers. DH and I were laying out the kitchen counters and island in blue tape on the floor tonight to discuss the lighting issue. (OK, it's my issue since I still can't figure out how to light my island.) Something wasn't right. We don't have enough room for the fridge! The standard depth, bottom freezer Kitchenaid fridge would leave us with a tiny 38" aisle instead of 44" between it and the island!! NOOOOOO!! I stood with my mouth open for 2 minutes, then cried for 2 minutes, then pulled it together after my 5-y.o. got scared and started to cry with me. :(

DH suggested a shallower fridge to gain back those precious inches. Makes sense, except free-standing counter depth fridges like the KA don't have enough cubic feet of storage for us. I told DH that meant we'd have to buy a spendy built-in type fridge in order to replicate the capacity of the fridge we had planned. He shrugged and said, "OK then. Whatever."

I've been making calls about any possible floor model Sub-Zeros being clearanced out. Instead, I found two GE Monograms. One (#ZICS30NXLH) is stainless at $5999. One is a panel ready (#ZIC360NRLH) floor model for $4788. I'm still waiting to hear from my cab maker how much it would cost to make panels for it. And how much it will cost for him to scrap the fridge cab he already finished making this week.

I haven't read glowing reviews of the Monogram. Some good, some bad. I don't really want to spend another $2K or more for something else since I'm already squeezing the budget, but I also don't want to buy a bad appliance. Is the price good enough to justify a small risk? Anybody have an opinion on Monogram fridges?

Comments (68)

• lascatx
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'd stop and think about this before spending that much on an unplanned built-in fridge -- unless you really want a built-in fridge.

I don't have measurements for my "before" kitchen, but I'm sure I didn't have more than 38" between the fridge and island. I have about 42" now, and that's after turning the studs in the wall behind the fridge to gain a couple of inches, putting in a built-in fridge to pick up several more and easing the island as far as possible with the existing flooring. We lived with what I bet was no more than 36" for years, and my main reason for trying to open the path a bit was that the fridge stuck out into the path from an exterior door and the exterior door hit the cabinet next to the fridge.

Right now, I have 31" between my utility room fridge and the cabinet on the opposite wall. The fridge is a 33" wide LG single door and the door opens fully in that space. The fridge is against the wall, so no one needs to walk past it, but the width is about the same as what I have in front of my washer and dryer. I'm not advocating 31" aisles for kitchens -- I wouldn't want that, but you can certainly have a fridge with a 38" aisle in front of it. I'd stop and figure out what it is that additional 4 inches will mean to you and not worry about what folks here will think. Decide what you really.

DO keep in mid that you will change the height and that you will not get additional cubic footage with a 36" built in over a counter depth. It will be similar and maybe less. I know KA has counter depth that a have more space than a built-in.

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

Breezy, we had to squeeze every inch out of our kitchen reno: our only fridge/freezer is the SZ Pro48, but it is installed with the short island counter edge just 38.5" from the front of the fridge -- the handles on the doors and drawers jut into that space even more. We have two cooks working together in this kitchen frequently, and haven't been troubled by the space, but the SZ door is not as wide as many standard fridges -- would a French door style work for you? Pictures of what that dimension looks like are on our finished kitchen thread. That recessing idea is good, too.
    Lynn

• Related Discussions

How bad did I screw up?

Q

Comments (20)
    How bad did you screw up? Pret-ty bad. No soup for you. Now, in regard to dandelions (disclaimer: I am a strongly pro-dandelion person): 1) we can't grow them fast enough. My daughter's guinea pigs want nothing else to eat. Same, I think, for rabbits. So if your daughter is interested in a pet, she could do a thorough weeding herself. Mine does. All you need to say is that she has to pick them in the garden first. 2) I make myself 5 or 6 dandelion salads in April and October. Without going into detail, they sure flush your liver and generally detox you, and that is particularly needed at the end of winter. Dandelion is a major medicinal herb, at its tastiest when it is needed the most. I also make alcohol infusions of the stuff (both root and leaves) mixed with other herbs. 3) if you have clay soil, they are just about the only thing that will loosen it. Unlike mechanical methods, they create channels that go down one foot or more. Everything grows in a spot where a dandelion once grew.
    ...See More

Verify I screwed up pressure canning black-eyed peas

Q

Comments (5)
    The problem with botulism is people have gotten it just by licking a finger they dipped in a bad jar, even if they decide to throw the jar away right after that (not that you can tell by tasting anyway). So while you might be able to break down the toxin in the part you boil, you will still have potential contamination on your jar opener, your hand, your pot, your sink, etc. I am the person I know who wants to salvage everything, but for a few bags of dried beans and a day's work, I'd start over. Would any batch of beans be unsuitable for salsa after safe canning, or only these that have already been partially cooked? If you've found that you'll never be able to home-can beans for salsa, why worry about salvaging these? What about cooking a huge pot and freezing some for salsa? Melissa
    ...See More

Cabinet maker screwed up cabinet stain badly... denies wrongdoing

Q

Comments (40)
    Is your original color espresso? It is hard to get the espresso shade with using a wood other than cherry or a few others. With maple and like woods they do not always take a dark stain well. I think it likely someone tried to fix a blotchy stain with a dark glaze except they used too much. Doing a glaze over a dark stain on maple and like woods is fairly common in order to get the dark stain to look uniform. The cabinets you put in look like espresso with a heavy handed sable glaze. If it were me and really wanted the original I would try to make a deal for cherry in the color of stain you want. Cherry does darken over time though.
    ...See More

Badly Need Ideas for Accent Lighting; Builder Screw Up!

Q

Comments (6)
    At the risk of blowing their minds, you might suggest that they look into LED lighting as well. They produce very little heat and run on 12 VDC or 18 VDC. They're very small and thus easily concealed for the purposes of accent lighting. They're still quite pricey, but if you can get the builder to pay for them this time around, by the time they need replacement the price should have come down exponentially. Of course, I have no idea what the building codes in your area say about them.
    ...See More
  • lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Can you move the island over three inches? Is it installed yet? You said in the other post that you have 45" (I believe) between island and sink and you'd have 38" with standard fridge. This would mean 41" for fridge side and 42" on sink side. Would this work? Just an idea :)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

If you want to have plenty of space (maybe 48") on both sides of the island, keep your cheaper fridge, and maybe make life a little easier (just an idea) what if you just do a larger banquette...comfortable and roomy, with plenty of seating...and not do the stools? I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but I think it's something you might want to at least consider.

Possiblities, many of which you've seen before, but think about banquette only...

{{gwi:1883917}}

{{gwi:1883919}}

{{gwi:1883921}}

• Cloud Swift
    12 years ago

Breezy, I was going to say something similar to Lascatx and farminggirlinky.

From you layout picture in your thread about leg, corbel or naked for your island overhang, only one foot of your fridge is opposite the island and you were already planning on having the door swing away from your island so you don't even need enough depth for the door there.

Our main aisle in front of the island is wide, but the aisle on the 4' side of our island is 36" (from the edge of one counter to the other). Out diswasher opens partly into that space so when the dishwasher door is open, it partly blocks the aisle though one can still step around it.

We don't find having the short narrow aisle to be a problem. Actually, since the baking tools, bread machine and mixer are on wall side and the area we usually roll dough, load cookie sheets etc. are on the island, having it be a pivot and reach rather than pivot and steps from one counter to the other is convenient.

It is even possible for someone to walk past someone else in that aisle - you wouldn't want to work back to back in that space, but enough room for passage through.

Perhaps you would be fine with a regular depth fridge there and 38" of space. One thing I don't understand on your plans is what is in the corner between the fridge and the oven. The 39" you show between the fridge and ovens will also be narrowed by this. That should be okay - doorways are often 30 or 33", but I wasn't sure.

You could try getting some big boxes to make a 3D mock up of the space or putting some chairs to represent the edge of the island and the fridge so you can see how the space feels.

• Fori
    12 years ago

Are you sure a built in gives you much more space than a counter depth?

Are you sure the aisle will be too tight? Aren't tighter aisles the main reason anyone buys FD fridges? I demand you go to the store with blue tape and a yardstick and make sure it won't fit before you give up!

Can we reconfigure the island? Move it like LL suggests? Can you fit in a Liebherr (not sure what width you're planning, but they're cheaper than SZs)?

Can you throw in a fridge drawer somewhere?

Can you shop more often? :)

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

Haven't seen your layout but turning the studs sideways might help you some for sure. I don't know what you have plumbing wise back there but we gained several needed inches in the width of our shower by doing this (went from 35 to 40).

Also, I think 36" is probably fine. Not perfect maybe but certainly workable. My parents have this depth at their home and even less with their french door fridge at the beach. No big deal. . .

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Goodness, sorry to hear about the glitch! I have only this to add --- I hope you don't beat yourself up over it. My DH and I have noticed how often professionals make mistakes, and we have decided we are going to go a little easier on ourselves!

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

"My DH and I have noticed how often professionals make mistakes, and we have decided we are going to go a little easier on ourselves!"

Precisely! A bit OT, but I have to share: I am married to a systems analyst. Of German extraction. Why yes, he is detail oriented...at least that's my upbeat description. He and I now have an inside joke when one of us (usually me) has done some project that is slipshod, incomplete or not up to his exacting SA standards. 'Don't worry honey, it's a professional job!'

Better to laugh than throw small appliances at each other right?!?!

Oh, and it took ~20 years of marriage to figure out that if one tries to do EVERY task to the specs of a systems analyst of German descent, no project will ever be done. And that the phrase 'it's in the queue' does not necessarily mean that any task will be getting done any time soon...

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

So sorry, breezy, but there are solutions so take heart.

We have the 72" tall, CD KA fridge. Love it! It's enough for our family of 4, well, family of 3 now that one's at college. But even so, the only time we've felt it wasn't enough was during the holidays and then we just put items that should stay cool (pies, extra beverages, etc) in the garage. But I understand if you're still concerned about storage.

Do you have room to add a beverage fridge to your kitchen where you could store drinks and other such items, freeing up space in a CD fridge? That's an alternate to putting a fridge in your garage or going with a more expensive built-in.

My other ideas are combinations of suggestions others have offered:
    Bump the fridge wall into the DR 2 inches and turn the studs sideways - that gains you almost 4 inches.
    OR
    Turn the studs and scoot the island over 1-3".
    OR
    Bump the fridge into the DR 1-2 inches and scoot the island over 1-3".

All of these are likely cheaper than going with a built-in fridge and while they won't equal the ideal you had in your head, they won't be awful. In fact, you might be relieved to see how little these adjustments impact your kitchen's overall design and function.

btw, Consumer Reports gave the built-in GE Monogram a 61, compared to the 80 they awarded to the top-ranked built-in, a Jenn-Air model. Three KA models ranked better than the GE.

Unfortunately, CR doesn't provide brand reliability for built-in fridges other than Sub-Zero and they add that to their ranking of bottom freezers. Here's how brands stack up, best to worst: Jenn-Air, KitchenAid, Kenmore, Sub-Zero, Amana, Maytag, LG, GE. In fact, GE fridges in all styles (top freezer, SxS) rank at or near the bottom for reliability. I've no idea if they've factored in built-in GE Monograms or if they just ignored that category, sorry.

HTH!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Speaking of cribs, who wants to bet on how long before this Oslo crib is sold in PB?

Take a look too at the aisle widths in the kitchen. Even clear chairs take up space. Do we need a "I"KBA standard? Or do Norwegians have smaller tushes...

Here is a link that might be useful: seephoto 5

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

sorry! posted to the wrong msg

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all your support and ideas.

I cannot do a French door fridge even though it would make a tight aisle a little better. My corner pantry door is immediately to the right of the fridge and would present door banging issues. I worked very hard to find a layout with all of the door issues in that area.

Here's where construction currently stands. Walls are framed as you see. Rough plumbing is done for the two sinks and the water supply to the fridge's ice maker.

The peninsula size is actually smaller than these drawings because of the first construction mishap with the fireplace installer giving the wrong dimensions for framing. It's now roughly 50" wide and less than 48" deep. The aisle b/w it and the fireplace is down to 48".

We're living in a rent-free temporary house where we've already overstayed our welcome by a few months. We promised to be out by the end of July. Any re-construction progress to this point means more delays. We're already pushing the limits to have the house livable by then. There's no chance the house will be done, but we can live without a kitchen and master bath. If we re-construct, we'll be faced with moving into an apartment and paying at least $3K for rent for a minimum 3-month lease. I need to weigh spending a bit more on the house to expedite progress or spend that same money on rent where the money is wasted. I hope that makes sense. I'd prefer to spend the money on the house.

I've done appliance research up the kazoo for the past 14 months, but I'll look into the cabinet-depth freestanding again.

The island itself would be difficult to reconfigure without losing too much prep space. But I'm open to hearing ideas.

Shrinking the aisle b/w the island and DW to less than 45" also makes me sick. It's already tighter than I wanted.

6" is a lot to make up between aisles and the island.

I'll definetly look into the KA built-in instead of the Monogram. I was only considering it because I found a deal. I'll make some calls to see if I can find a KA floor model. Finding the time to do all this is the hard part. I've got so much else to do and two kids at home now.

I'm trying to be upbeat about this. I can't afford to get upset and lose focus. Thanks everyone!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Breezy- I am not (I promise) not, trying to rain on your parade. I'm just thinking about what Sarah Richardson says on her show, when her design is not working, for whatever reason. She sees it as a sign that she should carefully rethink the plan (look at it with an objective eye) and be prepared to go in another direction, if necessary. She believes that sometimes, things are not working out for a reason, and maybe someone is trying to tell you something.

You've been having problems/challenges with the banquette/stool issue from the very beginning. While I think it's an original and fun idea, it seems to be causing a lot of problems. I know you love the banquette and don't want to lose it...do you really love the stools as much?

A banquette only, would solve the issues with the countertop support, the leg/corbell question, only 4' for the banquette (which is going to be very tight, as the kids get older) and most recently, the tight aisles, around the island.

Just think about the possibility of a longer banquette (with access from both sides) to seat 3 people comfortably and more room for a table. It would be a lot more comfortable IMHO, than a 4' banquette and 4' for two stools.

As you say, time is limited and costs are increasing, so if you haven't had the banquette built yet...it might be worth considering. You did say you were open to hearing ideas :)

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Breezy, I'm so sorry this problem has cropped up. We all know how hard you tried to work out every detail. I don't really have any advice for you that hasn't already been given above. I just wanted to say I hope you'll wait at least a few hours or a day until your brain waves have time to settle down before you make a decision. I just think you might think more clearly and the right answer will be obvious. I also wanted to send you (((HUGS)))!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Breezy, when you are calling around, you may want to just ask if anyone has the Bosch B36IB70NSP. It is way discontinued by probably two years or more, but we got lucky and stumbled onto a floor model when we were looking and are only paying $4399 for it and it's a great fridge. Don't know if you'd be able to find it, but might as well throw it out there and see if anyone's got it if you are calling anyway.

There is also one store online that seems to have it for $5799 which is cheaper than your GE price but you'd be getting a Bosch. I put in my shipping zip code and it was $230 to ship. (I don't know anything about this store, so not vouching for it, just throwing out ideas)

• Stacey Collins
    12 years ago

Breezy- maybe I missed it but did you respond to the suggestion of moving the fridge's back wall back a little bit more? or even simply rethinking the way that recess is built.
    I see you have a 13" cabinet behind that wall. Two thoughts: 1) can you make that cabinet 12" to gain an inch, and does the back of the fridge need a FULL framed 2x4 wall? If it's behind cabinets I think not. Lay the studs sideways or even omit them altogether and just back the fridge up to the cabinet backs. Even if it's structural, it can be freamed like a doorway (with a header) to allow no back at all, or a thin plywood one. All of which buys you at least 4-5 inches more of recess depth!

2) Another thing: On my plans the aisle between the island and fridge was drawn at 40.5" (cabinet to cabinet) but the actual measurement when you take the fridge doors and the counter overhang into consideration is just 34.5" I know they're french doors, but the point is you can probably live with something slightly less than the ideal...

• michellemarie
    12 years ago

I have a 48" GE Monogram refrigerator. I love it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Good Luck!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I let myself indulge in some chocolate and a good cry at the end of the movie "Water." I highly recommend that movie if you haven't seen it. It makes me sob like a baby everytime. Strangely, I feel better now.

LL--I did look at the banquette idea you suggested, many times. I don't have the space between the kitchen and the family room to extend the banquette and table down the island. I'd have to get rid of the couch in the family room.

Flwrs--Thanks very much.

Beagles--I'll ask about the Bosch also. You never know what you'll find out there!

Stacey--My issue with moving the wall is two-fold. Time and money. The framing and rough plumbing are in. My base cabs are already built. Changing it now will cost too much time and set us back too far to be able to move in at the end of July. If we can't move in, we'll have to move (big hassle) from where we are now and find an apartment where we'll have to start paying rent. The money we'd spend it rent seems, to me, better spent in buying a nicer fridge that we can benefit from.

I'll look again at the narrow aisle width and mock it up for a test. Thanks for posting.

Michelle--good to know someone likes their Monogram!

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

I know this isn't too helpful, but I'm totally missing what is on the drawing. Is it stating that the cabinets on the fridge wall are 48" deep but the fridge is only 36" deep? If so, what's behind the fridge?

You said there is a door to the right of the fridge (while facing it). Is that the straight line from the fridge to the oven stack? Is it a folding door or straight? swinging which way? Could you do without it?

• cindyinct
    12 years ago

I only read your original post, so I'm not sure if this was addressed. When my sister remodeled her kitchen in Florida, she got a stainless Kitchen Aid (KA) built in bottom depth fridg at a scratch and dent place for a lot less $$. Her stainless KA slide in range, microwave, fridg and dishwasher cost her somewhere around $5000 total. Maybe there's a scratch and dent place in your area. Usually Sears has one.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Weedmeister--Sorry. I've posted my kitchen so many times with my questions that I feel like everyone is sick of seeing it so I didn't include it. The cabinets on the fridge wall ended up being built less than 48" deep and only 50" wide. The peninsula is for buffet space and it wraps around to the dining room side on the back of the kitchen.

The door next to the fridge is my pantry door. The opening ended up being much less than 39". I can fit a 28" door in probably. The handle will be on the oven side and it will swing towards the fridge. And no, I can't do without the pantry door. DH is adamant about this.
    Here's the view of the kitchen:

Here's a appoximate view from the dining room:

Cindy--I've been watching the Sears Outlet website for fridges that could work. It's a great resource.

• chiefneil
    12 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I just wanted to chime in and say that I have a built-in KA fridge. If you do end up getting a built-in, I think you'll really love it.

Will you look at it and think to yourself, "Gee that really was worth an extra $2000"? Probably not. But built-in's do a have certain style and cachet that you'll appreciate, which should take some of the sting off.

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

I understand a bit better. I think the renderings are nice (two more cans above the island, ;-).

I had a (not so) bright idea concerning that door. I've seen something done with corner cabinets where the door is actually a folding door. It goes into the corner and looks like two doors meeting at a 90* angle but in fact there is a hinge where the doors meet. Pull on the left door and both of them open outward. In your case, one side would be like 12" and the other 24". It would give you a flat door to the right of the fridge and should not subtract from the pantry space too much.

All non-built-in fridges will protrude from their surroundings by 4"-6" because of the doors. And that the doors have to swing (usually) more than 90* to open/remove the inside drawers.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I am not as worried about the narrower aisle as I am that the fridge you planned to buy would now stick out of the cabinet you'd designed to hold it? So it will not fit back into it as you'd envisioned, and always be protruding out of the cabinet in a way you'll always see and hate. Does it have stainless sides?

That will not change if you move the island or not...

I find a counter-depth fridge so much more convenient and less likely to hide things, that I think it makes up for less cubic footage. It might not be the loss you think to change to a similar fridge to your original choice in counter depth...If you just can't do something like the taller Thermadors, or a built-in.

• ZacsDaddy
    12 years ago

Check out the Fisher and Paykel counter depth. The interior layout is very functional even with a slightly smaller cubic foot rating. It works great for our family ... even with my love of cooking huge meals with lots of leftovers!

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

"I find a counter-depth fridge so much more convenient and less likely to hide things, that I think it makes up for less cubic footage. It might not be the loss you think...."

What rhome said. I no longer have to go on treks through the depths of my fridge, pulling out mystery items, exclaiming "What was this?!" It makes for much less waste.

• shirl88
    12 years ago

Hi, you may want to check out the Counterdepth Frenchdoor Electrolux with the Perfect temperature drawer. It is a very nice looking fridge. It is roughly 36 inches wide and about 29 inches deep. Also French doors the doors are half as wide so the aisle width may not be a problem. Be sure to check out how far the freezer door extends. Good luck.

• Jlahav
    12 years ago

Breezy - I'm so sorry that you had to go through that!! But I'm really happy that your DH didn't nearly kill you (I think mine would!!).

My sister has the Monograms, and she likes them. She's had them for about two years now. The only regret she has is that the shelf supports limit her pushing things all the way to the back of the fridge in those specific areas (did I make any sense there??).

I will tell you this. In my little, irregularly shaped box of a kitchen (I swear it seems to get smaller and smaller every time I stand in it!), I will have a 36" KA counter depth fridge. I have 3 small kids (and we buy a lot of milk), and I cook all the time. We hope to have more kids. My only solace is that I'll have another fridge in the basement (prior owner's side by side), and maybe another in the garage (again, prior owner's side by side that they kept in the basement). This will help when I have overflow from holidays, or when I need to stock up for extended family meals/visitors, etc.

Is that an option for you? It may save you $$ to go with a standard CD fridge, with another stand alone fridge elsewhere. My sister has another huge stand alone fridge in a specially designated fridge/freezer closet off of the kitchen, and yet another small fridge in her garage. Her family goes through food quickly, as she always has company, and this seems to help her a lot.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I can't give you any suggestions about appliances because I have very simple GE Cafe range and fridge.

What I can say is that you haven't screwed up but rather you have been given an opportunity to use those imagination and decision skills that you have been honing over the last few months.

Yea, probably didn't reeeaaally make you feel any better but I tried. Oh and back to pants to day. One day of summer Oh yea!

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Breezy -- sears just announced a big fridge sale.

• DreamItCanBe
    12 years ago

Good Luck, Breezy! Before you totally rule out the french doors, check out the hinges. I was looking at mine today and it is pretty much a zero clearance. That's the new CD KA. I think they make them to actually be flush with your cabinet surround, so with your angled pantry, it might not be an issue. Keep us informed on your shopping experience!!

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

Is it possible to use a 36"counter depth but add either an inexpensive drinks ref or pricer ref drawers in place of a base cabinet?

If you're at all interested - also remember your counter overhangs when calculating aisle width and how the ref doors might interact with the counters or pantry corner on a built-in.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I have to ask -- not to add to your stress or upset you, but because I think part of what we do here is ask the questions about things we may not be considering so that we don't do the V-8 knock (coulda, shoulda) later. After seeing the "unique" and "memorable" threads, I wonder if you are regretting not having a built-in fridge. Are you really wanting one and feeling it will make your kitchen feel more special? I have a built-in, did it largely for depth and traffic considerations and love it, so this isn't a snarky judgment or anything, just an attempt to get you to think about why you so quickly went to "have to have a built-in" when many of us have lived with no better than what you would have with this oops. I didn't have the ability to recess without giving up my laundry room and moving or reducing my island would have cost me several times more for new flooring in 4 rooms. You don't need to tell me or post about your thoughts -- just think about it. If you can be honest with yourself about what you want and what you need and why it makes a difference, I think you will be happier when it is all done. You will know why you made the choices you did and that you considered the alternatives.

You really do have a lot of options and fixing things on the fly requires that you let go of what you thought was essential and reconsider. Doesn't mean you have to change those things, but it is a time to re-evaluate and to think outside the box. Framing can be changed in a couple of hours -- that's not going to keep you from meeting a deadline a month away. Buy the guys dinner and one long day makes it up.

I think the folding door on the pantry idea is a good one. It would help alleviate some of the congestion you are bound to have in that corner and give you some flexibility on your fridge solution. And they will fit into the same framing -- just have a track across the top.

The cabinet behind the fridge should give you the perfect ability to recess the fridge a bit. You might have to make that section an open shelving or bookcase unit or make it shallower, but it would work and you'd figure out how to make good use of it. It could turn out to be one of the best things you do.

Another person suggested you revisit your split island with both stools and banquette. I did not follow that development and don't even remember it, so I'm not sure why you decided to chop the island that way. Is there some need you can't address with one or the other? Rhome's question suggests this might be something you didn't want to make a choice on and that you wanted to do both and make it uniquely yours. That may be unique, but it may not be the best you can do. I'd think carefully about why you want to split your island and to have different height seating rather than choosing one. Keeping this is giving you less flexibility in the island and fewer choices for addressing your fridge space.

Take a deep breath and think about what it is you want most, figure out what you can most easily change, and then figure out how to make that happen. Good luck with it all. It is going to work out and it will be yours -- no matter what you decide.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lascatx--I was just thinking to myself when I couldn't sleep last night how it must seem like I'm poo-pooing all of your (collective) suggestions. That's not it at all.

1. I researched fridges for many months agonizing over every detail of every one trying to decide. I've been through many, many versions of my new kitchen on paper and different fridge sizes and configurations. I remembered that counter-depth, freestanding fridges have less capacity than standard. That's why I found a way to design my new kitchen with a standard--so I could have more storage space. Maybe I've remembered wrongly and I'm looking at those options now.

2. I just plain like the look of a built-in fridge better. So what? Whether I want to fork out the extra thousands is up to me. I'm still looking at many fridges from cheap to $$$.

3. I know it seems like you can just have framing changed like that. Unfortunately, this is NOT the case for us. I don't have a framer handy to do the work. The guys who did my framing worked for my ex-GC. I'm now the GC. Where do I find framers? More bids? This all will take weeks, believe me. I've been trying for 3 weeks to get drywall bids. Guess how many I have? ZERO. Subs dont' show up, return calls, or give my bids as requested. EVERYTHING about this d@mn project is taking 5x longer than it would for a normal person.

I'm stress out beyond belief. I barely get 5 hours of sleep most nights. The thought of stopping and trying to round up more subs to come look at my project is overwhelming today. It's easier for me to do fridge research, because I can do that at 2-4a.m. when I have the time. Selecting a different fridge seems like the easiest thing to do on me.

I don't have the brain capacity to start making changes at this point. I'm cooked. DH doesn't care about spending $4K on a fridge, but if I start to make changes to walls and structure, he would kill me.

We have to be out of this house by the end of JULY! I have no insulation, bare studs, no subfloor, no working plumbing. Without my difficulty finding subs, it will be very, very tight to able to move in the house by then even without a kitchen or master bath.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm going off on you. I don't want any of you to think I'm not considering your very thoughtful suggestions. I have an appt now so I must go or I'll be late like I am to everything these days. Thank you.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Breezy- I think you might have more room for a sofa or small sectional, if you had the stools...with the banquette (maybe free standing) in front of the window. A small table and a few chairs, similar to what you have at the island, but a little roomier, would give you comfy seating for four...maybe six in a pinch.

I just moved the TV cabinets down a bit and the loveseat with chaise (like a sofa with your feet up on one end) would still give you a nice view of the fireplace. You could use a small coffee table or ottoman in front of the seating area.

This would give you lots of room for three stools, with the legs on the corners of your island. The banquette could be for eating now (while the kids are young) but the eating table and two chairs could be replaced with two larger, comfy chairs, for conversation/watching TV as the kids get older. The banqette would still make a charming window seat type of area, for curling up with a good book.

Again, this is just one of many ideas, to offer as many options as possible. This kitchen reminded me of yours, it's from the cover of this month's BH&G Kitchen and Bath Ideas. Notice the leg on the corner of the island :)

{{gwi:1883926}}

{{gwi:1883928}}

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Don't know that I had seen the ex-GC issue (I'm not reading a lot of threads these days -- not enough time).

Your best use of time might be to find a new GC. I fired my guy at the end and couldn't stomach the last details, so I know how appealing that must be for you, but a GC, or even one good contractor, who has contacts and relationships, should be able to get the others you need to do the work in. Is it possible that your ex-GC is busy telling folks he knows not to work for you? You need some help before anything else is going to fall into place for you -- I know you know that, but I think you're going to need someone who can make it happen to help you. That will also make it easier for you to address the things you have to decide on as things progress -- and there is always something.

Have you tried going to a homebuilder and explaining your situation and that you need some help getting this finished -- who could they recommend, do they have a crew they could spare for some quick help, what else might you try? I'm assuming you've exhausted more standard sources.

I'm concerned for you -- that you are putting yourself in a bind and letting the bind dictate your choices. That's a good way to do something you regret and then be reminded of the whole mess over and over.

Don't worry about me -- I don't think you're going off on me, but you sound frazzled. I have nothing invested in this and no interest other than trying to help you do the best you can and to be happy in the end.

It's hard to see a built-in as something to regret if you can afford it. I do think the space is all usable and what you lose is mostly the forgotten stuff that lurks in the back. If that will be your only fridge, keep in mind that things like platters, baking sheets and whole watermelons can be more challenging with a built-in (I have a utility room fridge to help out).

I hope you can find some good help. It shouldn't be that hard, but it sure can be. Hang in there.

• steph2000
    12 years ago

Okay, well, I'm not offering anything but support. You are really dealing with a lot, Breezy, and are under the gun with time. I totally get your reasoning for keeping this a 'fridge issue' so you can move forward. At this point, it's not about the money, it's about the time. And better that 3,000 go to your fridge than rent and deposit somewhere. You have bigger fish to fry.

I know what it's like for a project to move from having a GC to not having a GC and it is a totally different beast, especially when it isn't your field of expertise and you don't have the contacts and you MIGHT just be employed elsewhere. And finding decent, reliable, quality people to do the work can be a bear. I wish I could send some drywallers over there for you right now.

I just have a ton of admiration for what you have taken on and empathy for how hard this is at the moment - and know how much worse it is without decent sleep. I hope you can get caught up on that this weekend, at least.

You have done a beautiful job designing this kitchen and have really stepped up to the challenge. It is going to be amazing. Promise.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Breezy- I agree, it's too late to reframe at this point. However, you sound really stressed about this whole thing. You can move into a kitchen, without an island. Don't build it yet and get the main part of the kitchen (and the rest of the house) finished. See how the kitchen functions and how much room you want for aisles, etc. Then, have your cabinet maker finish the island.

Yes, it will take more time this way, but this darn island seems to be causing most of your stress (at least in the kitchen) so catch your breath and get the rest done. It may seem backwards, but if your cabinet guy is willing, I'd get the appliances in and then see how much room I needed (with husband and kids 'helping' in the kitchen) and see how big the island really should be.

At that point, you can see how the proposed furniture will fit in the space and if you have room for the banquette and stools...need to choose one or the other...or incorporate them in a different way. Just my two cents :)

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Lavender makes a good point -- you only need a functioning kitchen and bath sufficient to get your occupancy certificate. You probably need the cooktop, sink, an oven and place for a fridge. Everything else may be negotiable. Do you know what is essential and what can give? Your island doesn't have any critical appliances, so I think you could address the roughed in power and water so they will not be a trip hazard and leave that if it will help you get in quicker. If you have an existing fridge, stick it in there -- just do what you need to get in and anything that doesn't slow you down.

At that point, I'd have some margaritas (or a ice wine), some more chocolate and relax a bit before tackling any more.

Funny how so many of us can camp out, not have a single appliance or a kitchen sink for months and no one cares. Guess the trick is to stay put.

• weissman
    12 years ago

Hey, if you and your husband agree that you can afford the built-in fridge, then treat yourself and go for it. With all the work you've done, you deserve it and you'll really appreciate the look and function. Don't beat yourself up about it!

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

Got the message. Get the fridge. Don't hunt, just buy.

$5000 for a built-in fridge that solves your problems is a lot less than a hospital stay for stress-related illnesses. Trust me on that one.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Weedmeister and Weissman--Thanks for answering my questions about the fridge. I'm going to buy on or before Monday after my appliance saleswoman/family friend gets back to the office tomorrow so we can chat. No more hunting.

GC isn't bad mouthing me. Acting as our GC is saving us $25K. That amount means renovating the house or not. It's too late now. We'll be moving without a kitchen. That's a sure thing now.

I've been stewing over how to respond to the rest of the comments for hours. I don't want to turn this thread into an re-visit of my kitchen layout. I was asking about a Monogram fridge.

I only mentioned some of my stressors earlier, but I could go on about my Dad's two bouts of cancer and radiation, a family death, issues with my mother's mental illness, DH who travels a lot and works very late hours, and the stresses of daily life with two young children and teething, seperation anxiety, and breastfeeding problems. I've been working on this kitchen for about 18 months now so a lot has happened. :) I'm concerned for me too.

I appreciate the comments on my island. When I've mentioned re-exmaming this in the past, other posters jump in and say to leave it. I'm going forward with the plan as it stands. My island is built and will be painted next week. If the kitchen doesn't work, I will NOT post my finished kitchen and will pretend here that it never happened.

Thanks for your concerns and fridge advice.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

If the kitchen doesn't work, I will NOT post my finished kitchen and will pretend here that it never happened.

The hell you will.

Best of luck on everything. And I always thought you were doing a built-in anyway--it will look much better in your open space. I bet it will be one of your favorites.

• kellied
    12 years ago

I second what Marcolo said.

Don't think you'll not post your kitchen when it is finished. I have a camera, know how to use it, won't hesitate to post pictures of your kitchen in spite of you.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I am reading through a LOT of posts quickly, so hope I'm not stepping on toes...But I don't understand how this became about the island. I understand your frustration with the rabbit trail a bit, Breezy, as even though it's all well-intended, we all know that one change begets many more, and cabinets are already built and going in. It's not really an option, at least, mental health wise, to undo decisions that don't need to be, and weren't worrying you any more.

If the chosen fridge won't fit in the hole, it seems the hole must change, or the fridge. If the hole can't change, it leaves the fridge. Believe me, I know what it's like to re-research and choose appliances you thought you'd decided on, but there are lots of choices out there. I like Bmore's suggestion of adding a smaller unit to the island if need be...Or maybe somewhere else. But I know that also starts the chain of changes after you've worked so hard on the storage layout.

Mostly, glad to see Bmore back! :-)

To the exact point of the OP...It seems the feedback you're getting about Monogram fridges is pretty positive and no reason I see to dismiss those options, even after my own frustration with Monogram. Sounds like they do better with fridges than ovens...

Try not to let all of this get to you. The other issues listed in your life come out far ahead on the priority list, as you know, and this is a little blip. It piles on, but breathe and take a break, as necessary, as others have advised. It's a great blessing to have a new kitchen and to have choices. Not a lecture, but hoping you can hang in there.

LOL, Kellie. We are all looking forward to seeing your kitchen, Breezy...as you know. :-)

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marcolo--the he!l I won't! (only half kidding.)

Kellie--darn it.

Bmore!! Nice to "see" you! Missed you.

Rhome--I saw those two options also-change the hole or change the fridge. It was evident to me to just change the fridge. No big deal. I didn't want to re-examine the layout. I took the kids for ice cream this afternoon to celebrate the end of preschool. It was a nice little break. You're very sweet to post. Thanks.

Now back to my homemade guac!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Breezygirl your kitchen will be beautiful with your island and with your new built-in fridge. It will be unique and totally worth all the hours of agonizing you are doing! Don't worry. It's a gardenweb kitchen, it has to be good ;)

Buy your better fridge and be happy and proceed with all else as planned. And do not think about it any more.

The end.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beagles--I appreciate the vote of confidence.

And to everyone else I missed (blfenton, aliris, steph, lavender, jlahav, shirl, dream, lisa, zacsdaddy, neil), thanks for offering ideas, opinions, and support. I'll look into the fridge suggestions.

As Beagles said....the end.

• mini_bottle
    12 years ago

I had to make a last minute fridge switch in my kitchen too, and ended up with a 36" wide, built-in, side by side Monogram that had been discontinued. We've been using it for a year so far with no complaints. It keeps food so much fresher than our old fridge, and we haven't missed the lost depth. I've been very happy with it.

An appliance saleswoman smirked at me and said "how's your icemaker?" when I told her I had a GE Monogram, so I guess they're known for icemaker problems. My icemaker has been fine.