SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chexi

Badly Need Ideas for Accent Lighting; Builder Screw Up!

chexi
17 years ago

Ok, my home builder screwed up in the faming of our new house, and that screw up is causing my head to ache. Specifically, we have about ten art niches of various sizes throughout the house. We were supposed to get recessed lighting in every niche, but the framer and electrician missed that. We caught it relatively early on, and they added a can light to 2 of the ten niches. The rest they claimed could not house a can (line voltage) because there was not enough space. The builder recommended puck/button lights (to be recessed) and wired the remaining niches with low voltage lines (I have no idea where or how many transformers there are).

Now, the city where I live has decided not to permit puck/button lighting anywhere near drywall/sheetrock, but only within cabinets. The builder has basically said, sorry, you are out of luck.

Well, I negotiated an out in the building contract and know my rights. I can walk from the contract over this (it's a turn-key, so I don't own the land yet), but if there is another solution, I am willing to offer it up. I'll get no help from this builder on ideas, they really aren't very bright (no pun intended).

So, if anyone knows of a low voltage alternative that can be recessed and does not have a huge housing, I would love to hear about it. I have found some small 3" recessed low voltage cans with housings only 5.5" high, and these might work. I have also seen some retrofit types that might work. Any other ideas?

Cost should not be an issue, as the builder will either put in the lighting, or they will not be selling the house to me.

Thank you in advance.

Scott C. in Dallas

Comments (6)