SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

Difficult to Screw Up Bread.

ann_t
6 years ago

This is what I tell anyone who is afraid of making bread. It really is difficult to screw up. It is very forgiving. So just go for it.

An example of when things could have gone wrong............

Woke up Tuesday morning to a snow storm. Ground was already covered when I looked out at 4:00 AM and it was coming down heavy. By 6:00 there was at least six inches.

I had hand-mixed three batches of dough on Monday,all 500g flour batches, two at 68 and one at 72%. I took one of the 68% batches out early Tuesday morning around 4:00 and left it to warm up. Shaped around 6:00 and left to proof. Just before the bread was ready to go in the oven, the power went off. I was hoping that the power wouldn't be off long, But when it didn't come back on immediately, I put the proofing loaves out of the back porch hoping to stall the proofing.

Unfortunately the power was still off at mid afternoon. (And remained off for 24 hours. Didn't come back on until 9:00 Wednesday morning. It was a cold night. Thankful for down duvets. )

It had finally stopped snowing mid afternoon and the roads had been plowed. So I headed out to get my spare propane tank filled, just in case I had to cook dinner on the grill plus I wanted to make sure I had enough propane to bake the bread.

Wasn't sure if the bread was a lost cause or not. It had been fully proofed and was out in the cold since about 8:30 AM and it was now 5:00 PM. But hey, I figured I had nothing to lose and I hated to waste a two day batch of dough.

Heated up stones on the grill and the bread was on baking just after 5:00.

Photo of bread baking on the grill . It was already dark, and no power to turn on the outside light, so I used the flashlight app on my phone.

Finished.

Crumb Shot.

Even though I know from experience that bread is difficult to ruin, I was still very pleasantly surprised that it turned out well. Shine and all.

Comments (54)