SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Ball/Farm Journal Tomato Preserves taste bitter

2ajsmama
12 years ago

Hi, I decided to use the Farm Journal spices (stick cinnamon, whole cloves, I didn't have whole allspice so used ground, plus ground ginger and salt) instead of the pickling spice in the Ball Complete recipe. Also added about 3/4C (all I had) of pineapple per Farm Journal.

Used the Ball method of boiling the 2 (large!) sliced lemons with the sugar and water (actually used the watery juice from drained tomatoes) to make a syrup, then adding the tomatoes and pineapple, letting it sit over night. Pulled the solids out with a slotted spoon (chopped the lemon and pineapple since there were still big chunks).

Here's where I deviated - since the lemon rind and pineapple chunks still seemed a bit hard, I boiled them with the syrup for 3 minutes (til it gelled on a plate a little), then added the tomatoes (which weren't really whole any more - turning out more like jam than preserves).

But tasting it on the cooled plate, it seemed bitter! I added another cup of sugar a bit at a time, stirred over heat to dissolve, also added 2 Tbsp of OJ but it still tastes bitter to me.

The recipes both said to used unpeeled lemons, sliced thinly (I should have used a mandoline b/c I don't think I got them thin enough with a knife), discarding the seeds. They did not say to use lemon zest, peel the pith off b4 slicing.

I'm thinking it's the lemons that are making this bitter, but what can I do to save this jam now?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012