SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

Your most meaningful preserves

prairie_love
15 years ago

Now that we are slowing down a bit, I thought I'd ask a more "fluffy" question. What do you put up that has a lot of meaning to you?

For myself, applesauce and peaches rate very highly for two reasons. First, they are the first ones I did; second, they are the ones I really remember my mother and grandmother doing (that I liked). So every time I do applesauce or peaches it is a meaningful experience for me beyond the fact that I am putting up preserves.

I've expanded so much since then and it's interesting to me to see which ones touch me and which ones don't. The ones that don't may still taste wonderful and I will do them year after year (Seasoned Tomato Sauce for example), but there is not an emotional connection.

New ones that have that emotional connection include Red Currant Jelly. I am making Cornish Game Hens with a Red Currant Jelly glaze tonight for dinner and remember that this is a recipe that my husband and I used very early in our marriage and loved. We haven't made it for many, many years, so now doing it with our own Red Currant Jelly is special.

For some reason the Gooseberry Jam is special to me. I can't figure out why. I had never even had it before, so there are no memories associated with it. Perhaps it's because those gooseberries were such a pain to "head and tail". I don't know, but it's a special one.

Spiced Apple Rings are special. That is because my father-in-law, who passed away last summer, loved them.

I should add that it brings me such a powerfully calm feeling to know that I have either grown or procured locally all of this food and managed to change it to a form that can be used all winter. It is an amazing feeling to bring out foodstuffs in January that were grown here and put away by my own hands.

There's a sampling of my most emotionally significant endeavors. I'd be really interested to hear what others are attached to and why.

Ann

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida