SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_94952

SAFETY question: Crushed tomatoes (pic)

Kathy F
12 years ago

Well, I spent yesterday canning all day again, even though it was over 90 (hot for us here in Petaluma, CA). I managed to can 9 pints of crushed tomatoes, although I'm not happy with how they came out plus I'm concerned about their safety. First, they came out more like stewed tomatoes than crushed; by the time I got the last of them into the pot, the others had cooked quite a bit. The Ball Complete recipe calls for starting with two cups peeled and quartered in the pot, bring to a boil, then add the rest in small batches as you get them peeled. So, they don't look great, but I can live with that.

The really important question is - are they safe? They separated while processing; here's a picture:

The tomatoes seem to be floating with water at the bottom in a few of the jars. You can also see near the necks of the jars where there are spaces in the tomatoes.

I did follow all instructions carefully, making sure there were no air spaces/bubbles and had the proper head space before putting the lids on.

So, are they safe?

Thanks,

Kathy

Comments (4)