SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teeka0801

what do you think of this idea?m

teeka0801(7aNoVa)
15 years ago

Okay, so I have this large mulched area in the front of the house(used to be all grass/weeds). I hit it hard w/ weed and grass killer, put down weed fabric and 3-4 inches of mulch.

In the middle of this large mulched area (60' x 40')is a laurel oak (about 25 yrs old)and since this area faces south, it gets alot of sun,though shaded by laurel oak around noon. The oak has been "limbed up" over the years, because there is a large space(at least 8' close to the trunk and higher up further out)under this oak vertically.

I was thinking of just getting a truckload of soil/compost from St Pete Sanitation dept(it's that black stuff they give out for free) and making some raised beds ON TOP OF THE MULCH. I don't want to mess with anything under the mulch because I sprayed and the roots of the tree and the soil is not good anyway,etc.

Does this make any sense? It just is this big open mulch area and I feel I need to fill it but not sure how.

HOw thick of a layer of soil/compost would I have to lay down to put in some nice perennials? would they hold well, do you think, over the mulch?

Since this area gets so much sun, I have a strong feeling that if I leave this mulch with no plantings, it will be no time before weed seeds start taking up root ON the mulch.

Any ideas other than this one would also be welcome!

thanks! teeka

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting