SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Homemade vinegar is still hard cider

denninmi
14 years ago

I tried to make my own homemade vinegar last year. I have about 20 gallon jugs. Half of it is apple, the other half are pear.

Anyway, now 9 to 10 months after making it, it's not vinegar yet, just very hard and very alcoholic cider. While some people might enjoy that, I don't drink at all, and I really was looking forward to vinegar. I had fantasies of using my homemade vinegar this year to make pickles (with the acid level augmented, of course, to be safe).

I used recycled, cleaned out vinegar jugs and gallon containers from distilled water. Those with the tighter-fitting lids actually have a fairly substantial amount of CO2 building, so some of it is highly carbonated, sparkling hard cider.

There is a pretty heavy sludge layer on the bottom, but it will go back into suspension temporarily if I shake it up.

So, what am I missing here? I think the answer is oxygenation - do I need to open the lids, or even pour it out into something like a crock and then loosely cover it so that it gets more oxygen? Would that make it transition to vinegar?

Or, do I just need to leave it in the basement and wait for it, even if it takes 5 years? Sooner or later, doesn't pretty much all wine and hard cider turn to vinegar?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio