SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

Homemade vinegar from grape skins

pqtex
10 years ago

I've read some of the old threads on making your own vinegar, and I've google searched as well. There seem to be a lot of different ways to do this.

I want to make homemade vinegar from the leftover fruit (grapes) and a starter from Bragg's apple cider vinegar and need a bit of guidance...

I've already made my grape juice to be canned. I have a lot of peels and pulp left over. I have some Bragg's raw/unfiltered apple cider vinegar with the mother. I am not making the vinegar from scratch (using the Bragg's as the starter), nor am I adding wine. I just want to use the leftover fruit and Bragg's, and need some guidance on what size container is best, proportions of sugar (if any is needed), how much water, how much fruit pulp, etc.

I've also read to let my water sit for 24 hours to let chlorine evaporate. Do I need to do this? Can a container be too big? I have a LOT of pulp and would like to use it, but don't have to make a huge quantity if it isn't efficient.

I have a large glass tea dispenser (3 or 4 gallon size, I think) that has a spigot at the bottom, and a wide mouth top. I thought that might be useful, but it might also be too big? I have some half-gallon canning jars I could use if I need to make this in something smaller.

Thanks...

Comments (9)