SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtam0707

Why am I so scared to eat my canned goods?

mtam0707
11 years ago

I have been growing vegetables for over five years now and last year I decided I wanted to try my hand at canning. I bought a water-bath canner and a Ball book on canning and got to it. I made about 10 quarts of tomatoes (diced in some and sauce in the rest), some pickled jalapenos and pepperoncinis and lastly about 4 quarts of pickles. I was very proud of myself when they all sealed correctly and I stored them as instructed. However, when it came time to opening them I ended up freaking out and tossed them all, except for some pickles. My boyfriend took hold of those and refused to let go, lol. (He is still alive so I don't know why I'm still scared of it all.)
Everything looked okay, but I started to panic when I realized that in about 4 of my tomato jars I forgot to add the lemon juice. So, I convinced myself that botulism spores were running rampant throughout the sauce. Then, in another instance I had made my tomato sauce recipe, using onions, garlic and herbs and canned it. Only after did I read that doing that is a big no-no, so again, I panicked and tossed them. Soon, I just tossed everything without trying anything once. Now I'm debating on getting a pressure canner, since it seems you can do so much more and it is safer (is it?) than water-bath - in regards to risk of bacteria - but I don't know if I should since I'm already such a weenie about my canned products.

And I'm so deranged I am finding myself wanting summer to come so I can get back in the saddle with canning again. *Sigh....

Comments (5)