SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theoj_gw

Snake In The House, Suggestions, Please

theoj
14 years ago

I saw a snake in our bedroom, but by the time I ran to get my husband, and returned we couldn't find it. About 3 feet long, thin but long, black, probably not poisonous; but do I want to sleep in a room with a snake. Suggestions please, how can I find this snake and get it out of the house. He can live in the garden, but not in my bedroom.

Please help with ideas.

theo

Comments (58)

• SaintPFLA
    14 years ago

I have a thing about ants.....cockroaches, I can deal with. You kill it, it's dead. With ants, there are always hundreds of them, you can barely see the small ones and it's always hard to figure out where they are entering the house.....(shudder....).

TheoJ: I hope you found the snake and can relax in your house this weekend! I cannot even imagine! I don't mind snakes, but wouldn't want to find one in my bedroom either!

• natives_and_veggies
    14 years ago

Are you kidding? Between y'all's warnings about how sharp its teeth are and theories that it's actually hiding inside the bed _ TheoJ is not coming back. TheoJ has probably sold the house and left the state by now.

• Related Discussions

snake phobia PLEASE help moving to snake country

Q

Comments (47)
    In my opinion best advice is to seek treatment for phobia. I had a severe phobia of dogs that I had to get treated and it is very worth it and I think a lot of people that have more "socially acceptable phobias" (e.g. spiders or snakes rather than beloved dogs, people thought I was evil for being scared of dogs! even though I have been up to cottonmouths before and been fine, didn't bother me,... but as a kid I got CHASED DOWN by dogs and attacked so...). We share this world with a lot of creatures, it's something to get used to. Desensitization&exposure therapy is best to build yourself up first before you ever see one. That being said, eliminating brush piles in areas you frequent/maintain a lot, keeping it open will keep snakes out of those areas and make them favor more wild spots. Keeping things open tends to be best for the more cultivated areas of the garden anyway, to maintain airflow. ALSO snakes are often not very active in the day except after rains. They don't like being out in the open especially in the day because one of their main predators, hawks, can see them. I rarely see snakes around my house and I have a bunch of brush lol I've only seen them out at night (there's the cutest baby kingsnake but i digress). avoid times when snakes are most active and you'll be a lot less likely to see them. anyway best of luck treating your phobia, it's a hard road but very worth it to be free of it
    ...See More

snakes in blue bird house

Q

Comments (2)
    Please visit the Sialis website for complete information on hosting Bluebirds. You definitely don't want snakes or other critters getting into your Bluebird house. The box should be mounted on a pole with a predator guard. Great instructions can be found in the link below. Here is a link that might be useful: Sialis baffle page
    ...See More

Your suggestions for heirloom house plants, please! Jade and beyond

Q

Comments (11)
    Ah, I was wondering if I should have provided my house plant resume. I was going to hear any and all suggestions because it could be interesting, but I suppose I should have clarified that. So, sure, if you think exotic varieties of orchids and bromeliads are worth mentioning; but, no, I probably would not pursue them to grow and pass on. Many of my house plants, including a jade, are 2-4 years old and without much fuss- but all are fine to dry out in between watering... so, I'm a beginner, for sure, compared to some others on this site; however, I'm not drowning plants and shoving them in dark corners ;) What I am actually interested in would be drought-tolerant plants that become more interesting as they age. (lol. too broad?) 20 - 25 years is a long time! We'll see! Maybe I won't be even be interested in plants in 20 years. If the plants don't survive or are unwanted, that's fine... Disappointing, of course, but it doesn't actually matter. That's why we're starting with 4" :)
    ...See More

Please give a house plant suggestion for the fireplace hearth!

Q

Comments (3)
    Art is truly a personal thing, or at least it should be. And the style is not dependent on the other furnishings; it’s whatever style you like! You don’t like the picture of the Quarter (just assuming it’s the French Quarter) that’s currently over your fireplace? As for which houseplant you should choose, indoors is indoors—whether you’re in Broussard, LA or Scranton, PA—so don’t let your geography dictate your choice. Have you seen anything that you like and want to grow? There’s always the peace lily... P.S. Thank you for knowing which spelling to use for the shelf over the fireplace. :D
    ...See More
  • User
    14 years ago

Hey, poor theoj asked for advice, I gave it, and added all the intelligence I could on black snakes. I'm a believer in learning all the facts you can on your enemies. Mine is cockroaches. I try to know ahead of time what it's likely to do (one is to invariably fly at my head if it's on the wall or ceiling) but I did find out they can fly down, but not up. That's a good fact to know. Another is that even if you haven't seen a live one in months, if you have guests one will appear. Another is to ALWAYS AIM YOUR HAIR DRYER AWAY FROM YOUR FACE when you first turn it on. One time, I was getting ready to blow-dry my hair. Right after I turned it on, I heard this sizzling sound and a little bit of smoke started coming out. The next thing I knew, pieces of cockroach came flying out of it and went all over the bathroom. I guess it had superheated inside the dryer and then exploded. Thank God I had it turned away from me at that exact second or I would still be in the home.

• theoj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Still can't find the snake. We looked up and down, everywhere, made crazy noises. Did sleep in there, but it was creepy. I wonder if the snake could find it's way out the same way it came in. I suspect it came in the garage and under the bathroom and bedroom doors. I have an idea that it is still there somewhere. I don't like roaches either, maybe the snake will eat them. It's spring, I just hope the snake is not making a nest in our box springs.
    theo

• manature
    14 years ago

I am a snake lover, but I agree, having one loose in the house is disconcerting to say the least. Keep in mind that the snake will not willingly come anywhere near you, and is doing its best to hide in some spot it thinks you will never look.

I think the only thing you can do is keep a broom and basket/bucket handy, and keep an eye out for it. If you spot it again, try to sweep it out the door, or into an area where you can corner it and throw a basket over it. Then you can release it outside where it can do all the things it is supposed to do without scaring you to death.

And remember, if you DON'T see it in a day or two, it's quite possible that it went back out the same way it came in. You may be worrying for nothing at this point. Hope so!

Good luck!

Marcia

• jpin9a
    14 years ago

I would not be at ease until I know for a fact that the snake is out of the house.

• billbrandi
    14 years ago

You didn't say where you live but go here; there are snake removal experts listed:

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/snakes.htm

You may find a removal firm in your area. I would be willing to bet, if it is still in your house, that it is in a corner of a closet, under a dresser or in some other dark place. Keep in mind that this critter is probably more afraid of you than you are of it.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    14 years ago

"And remember, if you DON'T see it in a day or two, it's quite possible that it went back out the same way it came in."

That may be giving the snake too much credit.

• tomncath
    14 years ago

Strip the bed this weekend, roll the mattress off to the side where you don't want it to head, get a broom ready, and then roll the box spring up against the mattress....If it's not there then it's either in the closet or behind a dresser as I described. Although, many bathroom vanities have an opening at the top of the bottom face board that you can't see that is there to allow for air circulation, and the little critter may be inside the bottom of your bathroom vanity. You may want to start there, removing the drawers, top down and scoping it out with a flashlight, and broom....

Where is Stephen King when you need him? :-) :-(

• suddensam
    14 years ago

Death by blacksnake. Come on, how can anyone be afraid of a blacksnake. Being raised in Florida I can tell you as a boy I personally have been bit 7,846 times by a blacksnake, 100% harmless, if you see it grab it in the middle, when it chomps down on your thumb grab it gentlely by the back of the head, open door, walk in back yard,release, wash hands problem solved. You start throwing close baskets on it and your just gona break its back. Im not a tree hugger but why kill something that loves to eat roaches, and mice. Oh I forgot to tell you he want let go of your thumb until it starts thundering.
    Plant em if you got em.
    Sam

• imagardener2
    14 years ago

This thread has given me more belly laughs than I can remember. I know I know, it's not happening to me but the advice and comments crack me up.
    Thanks guys for some down home humor.

I'm not grabbing any snake by the middle, never, no way.

• tomncath
    14 years ago

Boy Sam,

You and I sure don't remember the same black snakes. I would never kill one but I sure won't grab them in the middle either. They do have razor sharp fangs and after you've aggravated the little bugger he's definitely going to try to protect himself...grabbing him in the middle is a sure fire way to get snake-bit! Been there, done thatÂ.

Tom

• suddensam
    14 years ago

TomnCath Yes its a sure fire way to get bit, but when he bites you, you know exactly where his head is. Makes it easier to grab gently. The blacksnakes in Safety Harbor only left 22 little holes on top and 18 holes on the bottom. Thats how we knew that they were not a water moccasin, which usually only leaves two.
    A little wisdom from a wise old owl.

Plant em if you got em.
    Sam

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    14 years ago

That is hysterical!

• billbrandi
    14 years ago

I am sensing, no, more like knowing, that some of you gardeners out there are positively laughing at theoj's predicament. Shame on you, all of you. I can imagine what it would be like at my house right now, my wife and daughter atop the bed, afraid to walk on the floor for fear the 8 foot blacksnake loose in the house would come and grab them.

So, all who are REAL gardeners (not the fake "put out a few daisies and call it a day" types) need to band together and volunteer to go to theoj's house and root out this monster.

To wit, our marching song (originally by Al Wilson, 1968):

On her way to work one morning
    Down the path along side the lake
    A tender hearted woman saw a poor half frozen snake
    His pretty colored skin had been all frosted with the dew
    "Oh well," she cried, "I'll take you in and I'll take care of you"

"Take me in oh tender woman
    Take me in, for heaven's sake
    Take me in oh tender woman," sighed the snake

She wrapped him up all cozy in a curvature of silk
    And then laid him by the fireside with some honey and some milk
    Now she hurried home from work that night as soon as she arrived
    She found that pretty snake she'd taking in had been revived

"Take me in, oh tender woman

Now she clutched him to her bosom, "You're so beautiful," she cried
    "But if I hadn't brought you in by now you might have died"
    Now she stroked his pretty skin and then she kissed and held him tight
    But instead of saying thanks, that snake gave her a vicious bite

"I saved you," cried that woman
    "And you've bit me, tell me why?
    You know your bite is poisonous and now I'm going to die"
    "Oh shut up, silly woman," said the reptile with a grin
    "You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in"

Take me in oh tender woman," sighed the snake.

Volunteers?

• katieauthier
    14 years ago

All this reminds me of the time I was working in our reptile house at the zoo in a snake box. They took one of the snakes out a pine snake but left a 4 ft. black racer inside I forgot about him until I realised he had slipped around my neck, head several inches from my face tail hanging down my shoulder all I can say is he did live, me thats another story

Katie

• bill1944
    14 years ago

Isuggest you call/get in contact with those who catch snakesas listed above

• siobhanuf
    14 years ago

I have been keeping snakes as pets since I was in high school, so I have a bit of experience with losing and having to find them again.
    Whenever one of my snakes got out, I would go to the pet store, and purchase a small, clear acrylic pet container with snap-on, brightly colored lid and a mouse.
    Put the mouse with some seeds and water in the container, snap on the lid (with the holes for air) set it on the floor in the middle of the room that you suspect the snake is in, and go to sleep.
    If it is an active mouse, it may keep you awake, but if not the first night, then within a few nights, you will wake to find that the snake has found the mouse and is desperately trying to get in. After that, it's pretty east to catch the snake. Put the open end of a pillowcase over the entire thing, and then slide your hands under (protected by the pillowcase) and pick up the snake and relocate him/her to wherever it is you would like it to be.

• bluepalm
    14 years ago

You could let a king snake go in your room to eat the other snake...no scratch that. You'd still be left with a snake in the room.

I've got it! Release a mongoose! No, scratch that. Then you'd have a mongoose left in the room and you'd have to release a Great Horned Owl.

• manature
    14 years ago

Lovetheyard, I have watched snakes entering and leaving my yard by the same tiny hole in my fence for a long time. No matter where they are in the yard, if they get scared, they head directly for that hole. So I'm still thinkin' it's quite possible that the snake will go back out the same way it came in. Of course, unless you find that spot and block it off, you could have the same problem again in the future. Unless the snake figures out it doesn't REALLY want to be inside. Probably slim pickin's inside as compared to the yard, in the snakey food department.

Bluepalm, you make me feel like singing "There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly!" Haha.

Marcia

• User
    14 years ago

never know where they might be.......

• coffeemom
    14 years ago

I now have a bad case of the heebee jeebees! I don't know what's worse, Katy wearing a snake necklace or the thought of having a snake AND a mouse in my bedroom. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

• manature
    14 years ago

Hahahaha. It's fun watching everyone's reaction to this topic. Personally, I'll take a whole room full of snakes over one big hairy-legged spider! *shudder* Talk about something that would keep me awake all night! Eeeek.

Marcia

• tomncath
    14 years ago

I'll take a whole room full of snakes over one big hairy-legged spider!

Me too, only make that a flying cockroach.

Did I tell you the one about the night, late 80's, when Cathy and I were sitting on the couch watching an Allan Quartermain movie? We had been through several spooky scenes in the movie and suddenly the cat, sitting on the couch arm, perked up it's antenna ears...definitely caught our attention, then a few seconds later a black racer comes slithering out from underneath the couch making a beeline for the kitchen. Must have seen a cockroach ;-) True story.

Tom

• trinigemini
    14 years ago

Snakes, flying roaches, mice, spiders...they all totally creep me out and DH is no big help as he does not like them all either. We leave them alone though as long as they stay outside and away from my hair. I have a thing about bugs getting caught in my hair.

A guy working by the pool today informed me that he saw a huge 5 foot snake sunning itself in my yard. My first question was what color is it...he said black with a "purple belly". I'm assuming it was a black racer and am not worried about it. Of course I then immediately thought of this thread and found myself checking to see how much room is under my doors.

• suddensam
    14 years ago

Well inquiring minds want to know. Was the evil blacksnake found and dispatched? Or did someone take it on the thumb and let the evilone go free?
    Plant em if you got em.
    Sam

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Here's an old "birkeepers" secret lol Keep a box with a hole in one side and lage enough for the average size snake to get inside. Place the box in an out of the way place. Almost any species of snake will prefer the box than out in the open.
    Though I haven't caught a snake in my aviary in several years I have not lost a SINGLE bird since using this trick.. I keep one in a closet and one in the laudry room in the house.
    No snakes of late but I do get a gecko or two quite regularly They call these "HIde boxes "
    gary

• tomncath
    14 years ago

Theoj,

Where are you? We need an update!

• User
    14 years ago

i heard you can entice them out with some asparagus...yum!

• billbrandi
    14 years ago

Most of time you find them hiding in the okra, waiting to strike (not sure which is worse-a snake or okra, such a disgusting vegetable)

• cfldoc 9b Lake County
    14 years ago

Okay, new problem

• coorscat
    14 years ago

While everyone has been having a laugh at your expense, I have been seriously considering the matter.
    I'd move.
    Sell the house "As Is"
    let the new owner find the %*(#&$)#$ snake

• manature
    14 years ago

Hahahaha. This gets funnier and funnier, though I'm sure the nice people with snakes in the house don't think so. I love the Veggie Snakes, and I'm so happy to find someone who feels the same way about okra that I do. (How can anyone eat a vegetable that manages to be both slimy and hairy at the SAME TIME!!! Ick!)

Ummm...Cfldoc...that's the stuff my nightmares are made of! Snakes in the asparagus are fine...spiders behind the clocks are NOT.

Tom, don't you hate it when cats do that? Even when a snake doesn't appear? They just stare at something you can't see and act so weird it makes my hair stand on end. ("I see dead people," says Fluffy.)

Marcia

• User
    14 years ago

I LOVE okra! Especially fried. And in Gumbo. LOVE okra!

• SaintPFLA
    14 years ago

LOL...too funny! I just posted in another thread questions about growing okra for the first time. I love fried okra and in gumbo -- which is why I'm growing it!

• billbrandi
    14 years ago

Only recently a woman in Vero Beach made the mistake of frying okra and found herself confronted by the rare but very deadly "snider", a half-snake, half spider oddity that only comes out when okra is on the table.

• User
    14 years ago

Hey, as long as it don't draw la cucarachas, I'm still eating it.

• seegaye
    14 years ago

Soooo? Is the snake still in the house?

One night I was sleeping and felt something on my arm. Took a deep breath and blew it off then awakened with a start cause I realized that SOMETHING HAD BEEN ON MY ARM! Looked on the headboard and saw a big spider, jumped out of bed screaming. That brought my husband out of a hard sleep and he jumped up ready to fight (buck naked, BTW) looking all over the place. Showed him the spider. He was not happy, but - as I left the room - took a paper towel and killed the spider. Or at least he SAID he did. I got in bed and looked up and there was the spider on the ceiling. Husband admitted he had lied cause the spider had gotten away and he wanted to go back to sleep. Ever since then I make him present the body as proof!

I guess I could have released a snake to get the spider, a mongoose to get the snake, an owl to get the mongoose...

Where does it end??

• Pieonear
    14 years ago

Bill, no wonder you don't like okra. That okra pictured is drowning in oil. Not the way to cook fried okra! :)

• crueltyfre
    14 years ago

too funny people! On a serious note, borrow someone's cat and lock it in the room. It will smell it out and then you'll know where it is. My cats catch them constantly. Anytime I see a cat paying a lot of attention to some spot I check it out and invariably find some poor critter in need of releasing back in the wild.
    Lori

• manature
    14 years ago

Ooooh, Bill! Not a SNIDER!!! Dang. I hate when they show up. Then I'm presented with a real quandary...hate the front half, love the back??? Carefully release it outside, so the snakey bits can be happy? Or spray the whole head with a gallon and a half of Raid, so *I* can be happy?? What to do, what to do?

I'm having a mind freeze here, just looking at that picture. I guess the only thing to do is leave a trail of fried okra from the stove top to the back door, and hope to get rid of both the snider AND that slimy, hairy pod-veggie at the same time. Yeah. That's the way to go, all right.

A snider. *shiver* What a way to ruin a perfectly good snake!

Grin.

Marcia

• User
    14 years ago

you have to remember these are florida snakes....scared of nothing! not your midwest sneaky, scared snakes....a cat is no enemy.....they share bread......

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

Folks, get a life! The OP was terrified and I can't disagree with her. You are just making this so much worse!

• User
    14 years ago

sorry....! really....but it was one of the best running things i've read on the g.w.. i laughed every night after a hard days work. will retire my snake...sorry.

• theoj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

DH and I were gone a few days. I heartily recommend Disney's 4 day/4 park Florida Resident offer. We walked from morning til dark each day. Home again and we searched the house for a wayward snake; but it is almost certainly gone. No trace. I think we lucked out here and now we probably have an indoctrinated garden snake happily at home in the yard. I have really enjoyed all the follow-up messages everyone has sent and some really good suggestions too.
    theo

• billbrandi
    14 years ago

Glad to hear you are okay. But....it is possible that your intruding snake hitched a ride with you to DisneyWorld. Just today, the Orlando Sentinel published a picture of Mickey being menaced by a snake....probably because he was holding a piece of okra.

• coffeemom
    14 years ago

Great....now billbrandi will have to fend off some real snakes....disney lawyers.

"I'm sorry you cannot use our Mouse to promote okra of any kind. Please cease and desist."

• SaintPFLA
    14 years ago

I'm laughing too hard at this....

Just be warned, all this 'snake' humour may come back to haunt you.

I "almost" stepped on a giant black racer and his friend - another giant black racer - about a dozen times this weekend. On the front steps, on the back steps, on the patio, on the walk-way, in the garage......they were seeminly underfoot everywhere in my yard!

I thought about poor Theo being scared to death with one of these in the house - not fun!

• User
    14 years ago

They are really active right now at our place, too. Every year a pair of Carolina wrens make a nest in an old decorative watering can that I hung on a trellis just past our front porch. I had noticed the bird was sitting on her eggs just about 4 days ago. Well, we were relaxing after yard-work on Saturday on the porch. I noticed a lizard ran very quickly almost under my chair and up the wall and even commented, "there must be a snake around somewhere", happened to look and there was a black snake's head sticking out of the watering can. I exclaimed "there's a snake in the bird's nest", my husband went over and dumped it out, couldn't believe the size of this thing that was all wadded up inside this really small space. Anyway, no sign of the brooding bird since so I'm afraid the whole family has been wiped out.

• swrancher
    14 years ago

I used to be a very avid marathon runner and trained daily. A few years ago when I lived in Orlando, one nice winter morning my wife and I decided to go for a run together. The last block or so, I sprinted at full force to give myself a strong finish. Just as I rounded the corner into my subdivion, I stepped on what I assumed was a fallen round branch and kept running hard. I then heard my wife start screaming very loudly and turned around to see a very large black racer snake flopping wildly right on the sidewalk where I had just stomped him with full force. We both ran a safe distance away and he soon stopped flopping and then slithered away, I thought I must have killed him but a few days later we saw him again sunning himself on the same sidewalk. They are one tough snake.