SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_ussher

Ugly, alley shared space - can't take it anymore!

SaintPFLA
14 years ago

Okay....this is the year. I cannot take it anymore.

My neighbor seems content to let the weeds, debris, garbage and general "ugliness" continue to grow (and grow it does!) in this leeway, transition area - whatever you call it. You know, the space where the city trash collection containers sit that is actually part of the homeowners yard - but, city accessible. THAT space!

No big surprise as my nextdoor neighbor let's her yard become a weed infested dump. Last year, she did hire someone to essentially remove all plants and replaced everything with just mulch - except the alley garbage area. We all have those neighbors who simply cannot be bothered. I live next door to one.

So, I started working on this "ugly" area. Technically, it's not MY yard. I don't care anymore. I'm just sick of looking at it. I don't think I'll be arrested for cleaning it up, right?

It has a variety of weeds- thorny and not - and actual plants worth saving, that grew on a giant mound of sand which has been mixed with broken glass, random nails, screws, bottle caps, plastic parts - it's surprise in every shovel of dirt. LOADS of broken glass!!!

Plus, a GIANT out of control scheffelera. I fell off the top of the ladder today trying to trim it into a manageable shape. Not fun - a little scraped up...definitely sore...and chastising myself for being careless and stupid! ;-)

I sprayed RoundUp on all the weeds and basically bushwacked my way into this area - wondering where the giant hornets nest is hiding?

I figure work on it a little at a time until I change this space from 'hideous eye-sore' into presentable, neat & tidy - yet, low maintenance.

I think I earned my cold beer and lounge chair today! Just glad I didn't break my arm when I fell...stoooopid me!

Any suggestions for me and this project? Also, what to do with the glass bits? Just forget about the tiny bits and toss the big chunks in the trash?

Comments (6)