SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
begonia2005

Why can't I have sheets like my mother-in-law?

Begonia2005
9 years ago

I have tried to get some really nice sheets that feel very silky, very soft, and very restful when I slip in bed.
My mother-in-law has one such fitted sheet in the bed we sleep in when we visit. It feels divine when I get in bed.
It is an old sheet that she has had for many years - so I don't know what quality level it was considered back in the day when she got it, and I am not sure she knows either.

Knowing how frugal she is and how she always goes for the lowest price she can get away with, I don't think she ever ventured into anything of the Sferra/Matouk/Peacock Alley types. Could it be because this cotton sheet may have become like silk from so many years of washing?

At the same time, it has no rips or holes in it but it does feel quite thin yet strong overall - which is superb for the summer. What comes to mind when I touch it is silk.

I, on the other hand, have been sticking my nose into luxury sheets (or should I call them "so-called" luxury sheets) in the hope that I will be able to buy some amazing level of softness like my mother-in-law has. Not that I can afford luxury linens, exactly; but I did manage to get a discontinued Peacock Alley Duvet Cover from Tuesday Morning once.
I also just got my son a Ralph Lauren Sateen Dunham sheet set and while this might not be considered "luxury", it was still supposed to feel nice.

Both DID feel nice at the store, especially the PA which also has nice, quality stitching (the RL not so much); but once I washed them that film of "something" from the manufacturer goes away, and only a somewhat rough sheet is left.

Both, including the PA, which is supposed to be officially "luxurious", are VERY FAR from my mother-in-law's old beaten sheet.

Although they seem sturdy and well made (except that RL's stitches are questionable) at the end of the day they still have some level of subtle roughness beneath the apparently soft make on top...or somewhere in there.

I should mention I did the baking soda, vinegar rinse and washing again trick to "break them in" after purchase, plus perfect pressing with a strong iron steamer... and it's still not the "soft" I have in mind.

Maybe I acquired the "Princess and the Pea" syndrome?

I have heard so many people complaining about post-purchase-and-washing roughness and some even saying that truly high quality, durable, silky-soft cotton sheets don't even exist anymore...that I wonder whether I should even waste my time looking.

Any suggestion for a brand guaranteed to give me that "waow" feel AFTER washing would be appreciated.

Comments (82)