SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ricmorris

Advice on alley

16 years ago

Howdy. I'm new here. I didn't find this exactly in the search, but it could be my ineptitude.

I'm wanting to put some sort of ground cover in the alley to replace the mix of bermuda and weeds. The two ends of my lot (where the bermuda is) are part shade while the middle gets quite a bit from my pecan tree in my back yard.

I don't mind having different plants for the differing exposure. It doesn't have to be particularly beautiful (flowering), I just want it to be extremely low maintenance and very low to the ground. Something only an inch or two tall would be great, but anything up to 6-8" might work. I have a neighbor that mows if he thinks it's too tall.

Low height and low maintenance are the biggest things, as I want to spend my time on the stuff I can see as the alley is behind a wooden privacy fence and we don't have a rear driveway.

I thought about preparing part of it as a test bed where I can put plants to see how well they do, but I read on here about stolen plants and my wife said something about people stealing yuccas around here. I almost didn't believe that somebody would steal a plant until I noticed that one that was by the street at a neighbor's house disappeared.

Sorry about the length. Sometimes I get wordy.

Comments (20)