SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boyz_gw

Help me pick 3 conifers please!

boyz
13 years ago

I have this lovely retaining wall in the front of my house. It is about 6 feet tall. I am planning on buying 3 conifers locally to place in front of it to cover it year round. I need your help in picking the right ones. I have gone to several garden centers and found several kinds that are narrow.

I have 11 feet from the back of the sidewalk to the wall. I don't care how tall they are.

About 40 feet long. South/West facing. Zone 5. Sandy soil.

I'm up in the air about whether I would like 3 of the same kind or a couple of different ones. That is where I would like your input.

I would also like them not to overwhelm the area. Meaning they need to be narrow enough that I can plant shrubs/flowers in between them to tie it into the rest of my front yard landscaping.

this is what I have to choose from

*picea orientalis 'gowdy'

*picea abies 'Frohburg'

*pine mugo "Dollyschoice" pinus mugo fastigata

*White pine Japanese 'Templehof'

*Serbian Spruce 'Riverside'

*Serbian Spruce 'Bruns'

*Norway Spruce "Hillside'

*Blue Spruce 'Totem' - this looked really common to me

*weeping white spruce 'Pendula'

*Bosnian Pine - this looked really common to me

*Weeeping Alaskan Cedar 'glauca pendula' - I asked the nursery guy specifically if this was going to get too big and he told me that this one would not. True?

As far as my preference. I would love to have some blue and green or some different textures. I also love weepers. This is just such a big part of my front yard that I want it to look really nice. Not like an ugly retaining wall with 3 big green blobs in front of it. Again I don't know if three completely different kinds would look too busy or not.

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated as I am overwhelmed by the choices.

Comments (5)