SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

The Puzzle of the Rose and the Lilac

rosefolly
11 years ago

(I've been nostalgically re-reading favorite old childhood mysteries and they all have titles like this.)

On a bank near the back patio I have some empty space, and my DH Tom has worked out a way to get some water to it. Now I've decided to plant a rose there, Secret Garden Musk Climber. I also have a lilac that is looking for a home, Miss Kim. I'm not sure I like the fragrance of this lilac after all. I ordered it based solely on description thinking I needed to replace another lilac. The scent of Ralph Moore's Blue Skies is far finer, and even the scent of Sensation is more appealing to me. My final lilac Angel White does not seem to have much scent.

All this is background. My question is one of placement. If I go ahead and plant SGMC and with Miss Kim, which one should should go higher on the bank for visibility of them both from below? I can offset them a little but not too much if the water is to reach them.

And if I work a bit harder and move Blue Skies to this choice position near the patio, planting Miss Kim where it was, should SGMC or Blue Skies go higher on the hill?

Or I could just give Miss Kim away. Certainly that is the easiest path.

Rosefolly

Comments (16)