SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moodyblue_gw

'Sniff'! - I need a rose pity party!

moodyblue
16 years ago

Woke up this morning to 8" snow - everywhere. Though I live in Canada, this is sooooooo unusual where we live - FREAK in fact!! Is there anyone else on the Pacific North West who got it. Even other parts of the Island did not have it - North, even! It just came and dumped on this one spot, Nanaimo area where we live. GRRRRRRRR! So woke up this morning, to no power - so no cuppas!! and a big White Out. This is the second half of April for heaven's sake. Nobody here has had snow, this much, this late before. Sooooooo, all our fully blossomed trees where hanging to the ground with the weight. To unreal to see decidious trees full of leaves laden like that, all bulbs were totally buried and grounded and the biggest thing is, whilst I could not even see my roses at first, once the snow started melting, I saw so many shoots broken off. These are ones that I have lovingly inspected every day since they sprouted from their canes. I have only checked the ones closest to the house, I have not ventured further yet! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!! poor me! (heehee!)

So what do I do for the best. Should I totally remove cane lower than the shoots (which were approx 5"long) to the next out going bud, or leave the new shoots to heal over and start up again. I am tempted to cut the mother cane back to the next outwood bud??????

Pauline - Vancouver Island._

Comments (20)