SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
la_roofgarden

New 2024 varieties

Anybody trying new releases? I swore I am not buying anything this year until I finally figure out where stuff is going but I’m weak and bought a good looking “Quest for Zest”, one of Weeks 2024 releases. It ticked all the right boxes—fragrant, yellow and good performing parents (Secret x Julia Child) so I figured I’d try it. First bud opened today two weeks after planting.

Fragrance is…different. Definitely lemony but also some other notes. Still trying to determine if I like it . Color is nice, definitely yellow but a bit soft, very close to Julia when she first opens.

Anybody else trying a new release?

Comments (61)

• rosecanadian
    last month

Ryan - that's a beauty for sure!!

Ben - the colors of your Cosmic Cloud blooms are magical!! Oy vey...you lost your rose. lol I hope you did plant it, then you'll eventually find it. :) :)

Jen - that is so true about forgetting things. Well, since Wedgewood is a climber (I think.) you'll have to get a trellis and have them grow together. :) :)

• Ryan Coastal LA Zone 10b
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

Ben, hope you find it—it looks like a beauty. Hopefully it’s in a corner building roots. And Cosmic Clouds does look great. I wonder if it’ll hold its fragrance in the heat. I don’t mind magenta but purples that go magenta and scentless are no bueno.

Lilyfinch the fragrance on Quest for Zest was more tempered today. When it first opened it had a sharp lemon with almost some myrrh or other non-sweet scent mixed in. I’m bad at describing fragrances. But today whatever it was is gone. We’ll see how it ages with the bloom and the rose.

I’m curious about Loves me Not. Normally pink roses aren’t my thing (tho I have some) but I always liked pink carnations, a favorite of my grandmother, and the photos of Love me Not remind me of a carnation. Plus an intriguing descriptiok for fragrance—lilac and gardenia, two fragrances my spouse loves. I ak doing my bedt not to kill the gardenias in our garden. A rose that smelled like it would be far easier.

• Related Discussions

New 2023 David Austin US varieties

Q

Comments (29)
    I've already received my answer from Austin about Bring Me Sunshine not being released in the US. The reply was a wee bit dishonest (I hate to use the word "lie"). They claimed that Bring Me Sunshine was a new release in England and needed to be evaluated before it could be released in 2024 (possibly) in the US. Phooey. Marlorena has 2021 photos on HMF of BMS in her garden, I thought. I will check on that. So I replied that Bring Me Sunshine had been grown in England for over a year, so don't tell me it's brand new (or something to that effect). On to nicer topics: Ingrid, Sister Elizabeth is a beautiful rose, much lovelier than Liz. And Wild Edric is a stunner with his colors I love. Seaside, your Wild Edric is just gorgeous, too, but they'll never bring anything back. They're no longer patented. I do think Austin is still selling a few of their roses that are no longer under patent. If they brought Evelyn back, they'd still make a tremendous profit on her with so many wanting this rose, and so few available. Kristine, I totally agree with you about those great colors. That's where Carruth has Austin beat, I think. An eksception is Munstead Wood, which they dump. Who can figure it out? Diane
    ...See More

How many new roses for Season 2024?

Q

Comments (97)
    I ordered Geschwinds Orden from RVR because I thought it would stay small … I soon realized my error. HMF says 13’ minimum. I contacted RVR, and they are substituting La Marne. Polyanthas I can deal with. My only other order this year will be from Burlington. Lady Kidwell and Clotilde Soupert. She sent me a CS last year, but I let it drown in our El Niño. Trying again.
    ...See More

Happy New year for 2024

Q

Comments (5)
    Happy New Year, everyone! And remember that there's no rule saying your New Year's resolution has to be good! :)
    ...See More

New seedlings 2024

Q

Comments (19)
    There are some fantastic seedlings in this posting. Debra: BLUE OVER YOU x ATTAM (love the color) THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE x BLOOD OF MARTYRS (rich color, halo and white edge. I think I commented on it during bloom season. ROMAN COHORT x THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE (Great color and tall) Nan: BLACKBIRD'S SONG x EGGPLANT LUMINOSITY (Awesome rich dark colors!) Brad: WILSON SPIDER x CARMEN RENEE (Great color and I love the size of the bloom). Here is my only new seedling to bloom this year. This is out of EMERALD STARBURST x CLIFFJUMPER. I love the petal color and the big green throat. Not really happy with the petal placement. I will have to move this one out of the seedling bed to really see what it can do. This is the first bloom ever for this seedling out of BASS GIBSON x SASSY SHANNON. Most likely a bridge plant. I will have to see what it does this year. 29 Flags over Conway x Ultimate Illusion. It is ok. May be heading for the compost pile after this year. Here is another one of the EMERALD STARBURST x CLIFFJUMPER. Petals are better placed. I would like better color saturation on the sepals. That is all from me. David
    ...See More
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    last month

Ryan,

I had to look up Loves Me, Loves Me Not , I recognized its alternate name Audrey Fleurot, a Meilland rose, I agree its very beautiful. The Chinese HMF describles fragrance as mango and lemon, but only moderate, and has many more details on it.

I don’t think the scent of Cosmic Clouds will dissapate with heat, it is quite consistent strong lemon rose.

Jenna,

In our forgetfullness competition, there are no winners, and who remembers anyway! I am still hoping one of my young rooted plants is mislabeled and blooms as Candlelight.

Ryan Coastal LA Zone 10b thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • rosecanadian
    last month

Ben, thanks for the link to the Chinese hmf...I'm going to browse there. :)

• Dave5bWY
    last month

Ben, if you had to choose between Cosmic Clouds and Thierry Marx, which would you choose? I’d like to add a purple to my ever growing potted polled collection.

Lilyfinch, you’ll have to share how Oxford Girl and Big Ben do for you. I’ve been tempted to try Oxford Girl this year.

last month

Dave

I’d probably go with Cosmic Clouds over Thierry Marx, more purple and more fragrant. Thierry’s blooms were a bit larger. I’ve only had them since last spring, so don’t know everything about them.

Carol

I use the aforementioned Chinese website frequently to find out about European and Asian varieites. The Russian website Rosebook.ru that was recommended by Elena also has great info.

• rosecanadian
    last month

I've been to the Russian website before...but forgot about it. Thanks for the link. :) :)

last month

I forgot to add that I have the new edible rose , Flavorette Honey Apricot from Proven Winners. It bloomed last fall, and I did a taste test of Honey Apricot vs Rouge Royale vs Julia Child. What’s different about Honey Apricot is that the petals are softer and they are not bitter, so it handily beat the other two. But ti’s still not tasty, rather more like cardboard slivers, or nasturtium, which are also famously edible. The stems are soft and wonky too, and those soft blooms don’t last very long.

Flavoriette Honey Apricot when first received.

• rosecanadian
    last month

Ben - that's interesting about the lack of bitterness. :)

• Diane Brakefield
    last month

Yes, interesting, but I'm not biting. Thanks for the information, though, Ben. Here's a question for you, Ben, and any others who grow these roses. Which do you like better, Ball Gown or Ashley? I'm on the brink of committing to one of these. What about Loves Me Loves Me Not? I'm now leaning toward Ball Gown, but have wanted Ashley for ages. I'm still getting a second Angel Face. It's that good if you're in the right climate. Diane

• elenazone6
    last month

Diane, I am voting for Ashley, but I do not have Ball Gown. Ashley is one of my favorite rose. Here is a good video about this rose: https://youtu.be/mnQmj4AT8h8?si=TxWqqz7VC-iHnu7D I bet you can grow it even better. I have ordered Loves me.. for this Spring, sounds very promising.

One more, just magical https://youtu.be/pTVH0mEmIck?si=Ii8OGeKnI_KXYtEK

• berrypiez6b
    last month

They just keep getting better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHXlWx0jq0o

• rosecanadian
    last month

That was a helpful video, Berrypie. I'm getting some Heirloom roses this year and I would have left them out all day in the sun...hardening off. Must do that. :)

Diane - how important is fragrance to you. Probably not that much...but Ashley won't have much fragrance. I do wish you'd get it though...it's gorgeous!!

• Diane Brakefield
    last month

Elena, you are an enabler, for sure, with the link to the Ashley video. What a stunning rose. Do you have any photos of your rose? Thank you for helping me make up my mind.

Berry, thanks for the link to the Rose Geek video. I don't think we can receive into Idaho any plants in soil or that have their leaves and that come from out of state. The Heirloom rose reminded me of that. More on that later.

Carol, correct, fragrance is not that important to me. I'm so sleepy, I can hardly type. I just woke up from an accidental nap in time to go to bed. I need to order Ashley, I guess. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    last month

Oh, I just saw the time lapse video of Ashley. Luscious. Augusta will be so jealous. Thanks, Elena. Diane

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last month

@elenazone6, thanks for the youtube videos. Beautiful beautiful roses a lot of them not available here. I’m wondering what areas of Russia these are. I imagine some of them can not grow well in very cold climates. I’m also impressed how healthy they all are. Leaves are so clean, even though a lot of them are planted very close. I really like the look of these rose gardens.

Took a screen shot above. I am really looking forward to getting AL from garden rose llc next month

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last month

My heart literally swooned over Ashley. I cant wait to see what it does in your yard. Is Grace the only one that carries it ?

• rosecanadian
    last month

Oh, Diane!!! I'm SO excited that you're getting Ashley!!! She's going to be DIVINE for you!!

• berrypiez6b
    last month

ahhh, Ashley is like a big pink billowy pillow...

Bring Me Sunshine is taking a back seat ? Northland Garden Center ( that no longer ships ) sent an email with this delectable photo

$49 for a potted Bring Me Sunshine. I'm up a creek without a paddle, unable to get that far away. Time to start calling closer nurseries to see if they have one to spare.

Bonjour from Amara ! two pillow cases and her baby blanket are finished. With those off the table I can finally start my apron today.

• Diane Brakefield
    last month

Berry, I'm surprised you have a nursery selling Bring Me Sunshine. I wonder why Edwards didn't get it. Good luck with your search. The photo is beautiful--both of them. Amara and I are alike. I have three throws, plus my bed quit over me in my rocker. A girl can't be too warm.

Carol, I didn't get Ashley ordered last night, but the sale is still on, so I'd better do it. Diane

• elenazone6
    last month

Diane, hope my pictures of Ashley would not discourage you to get this rose! :)

First year, June, planted in April.

Second year

Flowers are too heavy after the rain

Good luck!!

Ashly first year was clear one rose per steam, the second year it was a lot flowers and buds getting too heavy for her.

PS. Went to GRF page and bought Alabaster and Baronesse.

• Diane Brakefield
    last month

Elena, I have finally ordered Ashley. Your exquisite photos of this rose just make me even more happy to have finally made up my dithering mind. Your rose couldn't be any more beautiful. My two favorite rose hybridizers are the late Hans Evers/Tantau, and Tom Carruth. Evers produced some of the most exquisite roses in the world--Augusta Luise, Ascot, Ashley, Mariatherisia, Baronesse (I'm pretty sure), Bernstein-Rose, Lavender Ice, Chippendale, and more. So you're getting another Evers rose.

Carol, how could I let you down?. Elena's rose will be the standard to grow Ashley by. Diane

• elenazone6
    last month

Diane, YESS!!

• rosecanadian
    last month

Berrypie - Oh, that adorable picture of Amara should be framed!!! :) :) :) Bring Me Sunshine is a beauty.

Elena - oh, my goodness!!! The divine Ashley!!! :) :) SWOON!!

Diane - YESSSSS!!! :) :) I need a fan like Scarlet O'Hara in Gone with the Wind...Oh, my dear Ashley. :) :)

• sautesmom Sacramento
    13 days ago

I just came across Quest for Zest  in the nursery and I love the fragrance! Sorely tempted although I'm not a big fan of yellow!

Carla in Sac

• Diane Brakefield
    13 days ago

Ben, did you find your Candlelight yet? What a gorgeous yellow rose. Arrrgh. You got it on Etsy, right? I'm not going to patronize those sellers unless I'm sure the Tantau roses they are selling haven't been pirated. Diane

13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Diane,

I found my Candlelight a shriveled up little thing sitting with the weeds. I still cannot believe I did that, am I that absent minded?! I should probably just tell you I saved small child or prevented a forest fire, had some other super important emergency that I had to negliect my very expensive little plant.

• Diane Brakefield
    13 days ago

Thanks, Ben. While you were posting, I got on the notify me list at J&P for Golden Zest. There may be a GZ in my future yet. How the heck did you toss that rose the weeds? I suppose it's beyond saving. I'm so sorry. I checked it out, too, on HMF, and it's another yellow beauty. I do like golden and yellow roses. Will you order another Candlelight? Diane

13 days ago

Diane

I hope you’ll get a J&P Golden Zest, they would be fools not to bring back a rose that sold out so fast. I am trying to console myself that Golden Zest, Chantilly Cream and Larger than Life have all been wonderful. Trying not to dwell on the dud (Bring Me Sunshine) and the dead (Candlelight).

• Diane Brakefield
    13 days ago

The dud and the dead! Sounds like how I feel after working in the flower beds today. Diane

PS--There's still hope for Bring Me Sunshine. I think it will come through for you, but will take a little time. Meanwhile, you have other beauties to take your mind off the duds. Diane

• Ryan Coastal LA Zone 10b
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Carla, Quest for Zest definitely has good fragrance. Color is basically a less-fading Julia Child, with growth habit similar to Secret. So far I like it, good not great. I really wanted a yellow to complement some roses in the area and I already have a lot of the highly rated fragrant yellows with moderate growth habits (there’s not a lot!). We’ll see if QfZ fits that bill.

• rosecanadian
    13 days ago

The Dud and the Dead...cue the spaghetti western movie music. :) :)

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    13 days ago

Lily, how is your Loves me Loves me not doing?

• windowsill_gardener
    13 days ago

I also ordered a Loves Me, Loves Me Not from Heirloom and received a very robust plant (bigger and thicker canes than usual from Heirloom). It put out its maiden bloom a couple weeks ago. It was a beautiful, saturated magenta, and the bloom shape was lovely, though it lacked the petal-packed form seen in the promotional photos. (I don't expect first blooms on young plants to show their full potential, though.) The bloom was large and lasted a long time, maybe a week.

I only experienced the bloom in the mornings and evenings when I was home from work, and it didn't have much scent at those times. However, my husband who was home in the daytime said it smelled amazing. So, I suspect it might be one of those roses that really emits its scent in the warmth of the midday sun.

The foliage is quite beautiful -- a rather blueish green.

Here's the first bloom. More buds are forming now, so I look forward to seeing what the new blooms look and smell like. Hoping for a more petal-packed center!

• Elestrial 7a
    13 days ago

Ben, the wind just deflated out of my sails reading your comment on Bring Me Sunshine being a dud. Why don't you like her? I bought two and put them in a brand new bed with high hopes. I thought for sure she was amazing

13 days ago

Brittany

I may be too quicke to judge Bring Me Sunshine, but so far stems have been long and sprawly with no buds in sight. Hoang Ton reported similar, his has buds at the end, but some canes drape to the ground (he is ahead of me by a few weeks). DA also put out a note saying the variety didn’t meet their standards in the US, it was rather cryptic whether the variety was substandard, or their crop of it, seemed to be both. Maybe it will mature into a beauty, some Austins take their time, I sure hope so. If not, we might all be on a Quest for Zest.

• Elestrial 7a
    13 days ago

Thank you Ben, I hadn't heard about it not being up to standards here. I did know about it being a bit sprawly and was planning on training them up two obelisks. Fingers crossed they'll be at least okay... maybe if I really set them at an angle they can break out some buds along the cane. I truly hope they don't mean "not up to standards" like how Summer Song did over here

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    13 days ago

Windowsill, wow, so lovely! great to hear about its size and how long it lasted. I have only had a few petal packed from the get go as young plants, and when they have had a lot of petals for me for first bloom- the bloom size has been small initially. I’ll be watching this plant! looks great.

Ben and Elestrial, sorry to hear this about BMS. Will be interesting to hear how the season goes on with it.

• rosecanadian
    13 days ago

Windowsill - that's a very beautiful rose!! Good job in getting it!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 days ago

Echo - mine is planted in a big pot but no blooms yet! I kinda have it in a part sun situation that others roses enjoy but after looking I realize maybe it wants more sun . Unfortunately my husband is out of town til Friday so I can’t move this pot myself . It is robust but no blooms!

Windowsill , I’m so impressed!!! What a gorgeous bloom . I’m so happy I jumped on it when heirloom had it in stock . It sold out so fast from menagerie I was really kicking myself!

• windowsill_gardener
    12 days ago

Lilyfinch / Rosecanadian / Echo -- I really appreciate the kind comments. I've been hesitant to post much on these forums until recently because I grow my roses in an unconventional setting: in large pots, indoors, on a sunny urban windowsill. I know it's most definitely not the right way to grow roses, and the results don't come anywhere close to roses grown outdoors, but the blooms I manage to get still bring me joy. I've mostly focused on floribundas but couldn't resist Loves Me, Loves Me Not. Can't wait to hear more about how yours does, Lilyfinch!

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    12 days ago

Windowsill, where there is a will there is a way and it looks like a beautiful rose! lovely!

• windowsill_gardener
    12 days ago

LOL, echo! I love that sentiment! :)

• rosecanadian
    12 days ago

Windowsill - when we love roses, we grow roses. You found a way. :) :) I adjust my expectations growing roses in zone 3b/4a...I don't expect to have huge glorious roses. That's okay. They make me happy. Let's do an up high on that!! :) :)

• windowsill_gardener
    12 days ago

@rosecanadian, that's a philosophy I can live by. When the obsession is real, you find a way to grow roses! <3

• Alice Zone 7b
    11 days ago

I just planted a bare root Ball gown so I will post pictures once it is blooming.

• windowsill_gardener
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

I promise I won't post a picture every time it blooms, but I'm officially obsessed with Loves Me, Loves Me Not. This time, I'm home in the daytime to smell it and the scent is very strong and gorgeous; to me, it definitely earns the rating of "exceptionally fragrant." It's a complex fruity scent. Star Roses mentions gardenia in describing its scent, and I just did a comparison with my gardenia, and I can see what they mean. I'm not sure I pick up on the pineapple they mention, but the fruitiness is definitely there.

The center appears to have more petals this time, but I still don't think it's going to have the petal-packed look of the promo pictures when it fully opens. (I need to have patience, I know.) But I hardly care, as I love this rose as it is.

• rosecanadian
    4 days ago

Windowsill - oh, it's soooooo pretty!!!! That's a rose to make you delirious with rose lust. :) :) You did a great job describing the fragrance...wish I could smell it. :)

• windowsill_gardener
    3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

@rosecanadian, it‘s so true, ha! It opened today with the characteristic petal-packed center, so needless to say, I’m happy as a clam. (The bruised outer petals are due to me sticking my nose in to sniff it too many times yesterday — oops!)

• rosecanadian
    2 days ago

Oh, that's a delight!!! Lucky you to be able to grow that in your house!!