SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
particentral

Help me choose please

particentral
14 years ago

I have no idea what rose will be best for this purpose so I am going to ask you guys for advice. I have a back yard that is having a privacy fence put up instead of the wire one that is there now, because I am tired of my show cockers barking at everyone that walks past. The jasmine never did fill in the way I want and its coming OUT.

It gets FULL sun, almost all day long every day year round, at least most of it will and the rest will get at least 6-8 hours, maybe more. My back yard at the shop gets little to no shade now, so its going to be the fence that provides any that they get. The neighbor is about to take out his Oak trees and it will be REALLY full sun all day every day when he does that. Soil is hard, and will need SERIOUS amendments, but I can handle that...I can water daily with an irrigation system if needed, so that is not an issue.

I have a lot of Hybrid Teas, so spraying is not a problem. I don;t really want more of those, however, perferring to keep thse in the front area where the "rose garden" is.

I am in Zone 8, SW Georgia, so it gets HOT HOT HOT in summer. There is a lot of room, aproximately 150 feet of fenceline, so I have many options I can explore, but would really like a hedge or shrub that will bloom pretty consistently..I don;t mind several differnet roses planted together as long as they are compatible colorwise and size and shape...I like all colors, but am partial to mulitple colors. I have no prefence on type of rose, but would like a fast growing, prolific bloomer. Because I am planting it on the outside of the fence, thorns are not an issue.....

I am loving the cupped shaped, full petals of roses like Abraham darby, and Betty White.....not sure how fast those grow or how hard they are to maintain, but really want to do something around the fence to add interest, PLUS it gives me room for more roses!

I also found this one I really like a lot.....September Morn, and am ordering it now, just not sure if it will work in that location....I like it enough to put it at home along my front row fence....

Comments (5)