SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyp

Lessons Learned in 2012

harmonyp
11 years ago

As it's finally winter here, there's time to sit back and reflect on the last year of gardening. I was thinking of some of the lessons I learned this year, and was interested in others lessions...

For me:

1. It's OK to shovel prune a rose that you've given adequate chances, and just hasn't panned out.

I hadn't done any shovel pruning until 2012. I couldn't bring myself to do it. The roses I finally SP'd in 2012 were: Medallion, Tantalizing Red, Grand Masterpiece and Europeana. They just weren't working for me. The first three were bare most of their 3 years in my garden. The 4th was a PM incubator, and when it bloomed, the bloom clusters were so heavy, the canes would bend to the ground. I finally got tired of their underperformance continually catching my attention, and I can't believe how much better I feel without them. Then, still a little slow on the SP'ing, I moved VooDoo, Tropicanna, Montezuma and Cinco De Mayo out of their prime spots, to pretty inconspicuous spots. Couldn't SP them, but put them in odd places out of the way, to make room for roses I wanted in their place. Again - what a difference those few moves made for my general sense of peace in the garden.

2. Have faith in the ability of the garden to rebound after hard times

Anyone whose been on this forum all year I'm sure is tired of me continually writing about the )(@#*@#$ gophers. But 2012 was rose garden from #&!! for me. I feel such empathy for anyone who suffers a setback in the garden that gives them a year without roses, and I feel worse for those of you hit with RRD - that is so heartbreaking. Perhaps the latter doesn't often end in a happy ending. But mine sure did. I almost gave up, but instead - coming out the other end in early 2013 in better position than in the start of 2012. Here's hoping to a great year.

3. It's ok to rethink your own self imposed limitations

I decided mid 2012 to stop adding to the garden. I had the fear of adding too many roses without enough time to care for them. I think I was in the 80's at that time. I find myself now with almost 130. Oh - what the heck. I'm in good health, and completely physically able to care for them. I'm goin for it. No holding back. The worse case scenario - will have too many at some point, and will need to go backwards. But for now, what a great journey.

4. Don't expect to become an expert anytime soon

Going into my forth year of rose gardening. I'm pretty happy that I can now answer some simple questions for others on this forum. But I continually realize how much I don't know, about some of the most basic things. Pruning for example, I'm still asking about when to prune my roses - Jan, Feb, and why. This was my first year for rust - I didn't even know what it looked like before 2012, so when I first got it, I didn't even know what I had. Thank goodness for the many experts on this forum.

5. It's fun to branch into unfamilar territory - getting "out of the box"

First year for seriously trying cuttings, and first year for trying to propogate rose seeds. I find myself going into 2013 wanting to try new things. I didn't feel bold enough prior to now, but suddenly I want to create my own, with the ultimate goal of actually doing some hybridizing. These new ventures have added a new excitement for me, in rose gardening.

Comments (12)