SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northpegram

Advice/lessons learned for potential DIY kitchen renovation

northpegram
11 years ago

My wife and I are thinking about renovating our kitchen. We want to replace the cabinets, reposition a few things, and upgrade to nicer appliances. The house is about 20 years old, and overall, it's in pretty good shape.

I like to think I'm pretty handy around the house. I've installed hardwood floors, tile floors, and backsplashes. I've replaced sinks, garbage disposers, sump pumps, and dishwashers. I've even done some light electrical work like adding new outlets and putting in new recessed lights. So with that in mind, I don't have any reservations about doing some of the work myself.

Don't get me wrong. I know a kitchen renovation is whole different ball of wax. For starters, it isn't exactly a weekend job. If I only have time to work on it on nights and weekends, the project can easily drag on and render our kitchen unusable for weeks, if not months. Also, I know better than to mess with high voltage and natural gas, and I'm not naive enough to think I have the eye for detail that's probably required to install kitchen cabinets.

For these reasons, I thought this is probably too large of a project for a DIY'er like myself. So we talked to a few contractors and were completely shell-shocked when we saw their estimates. I understand people have to make a living, and they have costs like marketing, insurance, etc..., but I just could not wrap my head around some of these initial estimates.

Our search just started, so it's conceivable that we simply stumbled upon the folks who spend alot of money doing advertising on google or have fancy web sites. Another possibility is that we live in a nice house, and these contractors are backing into the number based on some percentage of the home values in my neighborhood (more than one has told me that people typically spend 10% of a home's value on kitchen renovations). I suspect us commenting about getting the really fancy appliances hasn't helped either.

I know I must sound like the ultimate cheapskate. Maybe I am, but I can't help but think the prices I've been quoted do not reflect the amount of labor required. Instead, it feels to me like it's a percentage of the cost of the appliances, cabinets, etc... So the nicer the cabinets, the more it will cost to install them, but should that be the case? Are nicer cabinets really harder to install or take more time?

I keep thinking I could find some middle ground. Do some of the work myself and basically act as a GC and sub out the stuff I can't or don't want to do. I would work directly with a cabinet installer. I would hire a plumber to run the new gas line, but I would install the sink and faucets myself.

Am I kidding myself? Will this be a nightmare to manage? Is this a DIY'er biting off more than he can chew? Any past experiences and advice would be most appreciated.

Comments (28)