SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ledmond

is it worth learning Google Sketchup for laying out my kitchen?

LE
12 years ago

... or do you have a better idea?

Planning new construction and the footprint and general layout of the kitchen are done. Comparing the space to our existing kitchen, we are confident that the space is adequate and the basics are right. It is not a huge space, though, and I know it is the details of how the pieces fit together that will make it work satisfactorily for us.

And then put the aesthetics factor on top of that, and I realize I need something that allows me to do a lot of experimenting with variations. I'm not afraid to learn new software, but I don't want the software-learning part to take more time than the task itself!

We have an architect, and he's great, but I don't expect him to tell me where I should store the flour or the wine glasses. I like thinking about the details and visualizing moving around the space.

I have looked at some of the Sketchup books and I'm just not sure if the whole thing is overkill for what i'm trying to do or if it is like so much software, where you just use the 10% you need and forget about the rest.

Advice, experience, suggestions, alternatives?

Comments (10)